Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I recently purchased my 95 YJ 4.0 and I am starting my build thread. I have already been wheeling in it and it's my play toy so here goes.

The day I bought it:

First day of wheeling:

Winch installed and swaybar and trac bars removed. Flexes way better:

This is how I tow it around. Built a tow Bar:

Doesn't do too well in the snow. I ordered the stuff for a SOA and wagoneer front springs and 1.5" lift rear yj springs:

And just for fun, Here is an old CJ-7 I was building for a guy until he lost funding, damn economy. It was 4 link front and rear with 2.5 ton rockwells:

Sold that jeep to a different friend and sold the rockwells. Next guy, I helped him put full size axles and 44's:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got some work done today:

And the reason for the work:

Got the stock wagoneer springs set in there too. Next will be to start setting up the perches for the soa and some paint:

Hopefully in a month I will be back on the trails out here in colorado

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Nice. Looks a lot like mine. I don't have the side steps. Mine's a '92. Same color. My fender flairs are black. I have aftermarket front bumper and I'm jealous of your winch. What winch is it? Work looks like it is going well. Keep us posted. And thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice. Looks a lot like mine. I don't have the side steps. Mine's a '92. Same color. My fender flairs are black. I have aftermarket front bumper and I'm jealous of your winch. What winch is it? Work looks like it is going well. Keep us posted. And thanks!
Thanks. I think I am going to put some black tj flares on mine after I finish the lift and little things.
The winch is a smittybuilt 8000. it was cheap but gets the job done. Nowhere near as nice as the warn 12k I used to have on my diesel but for the jeep its perfect

·
Registered
403 Posts
oh ok badass looks like i found a new wheeling partner, im currently in Texas but in january im moving back to Colorado, Calhan,CO just 30 minutes east of Colorado Springs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I got bored today and I still don't have my perches so I thought I would check some clearances with the new leaf springs by putting the axles in upside down. I bought some Alcan wagoneer springs and decided to put them on the back and wanted to look into it. Good thing I did because I now need drop shackles for the springs to clear the frame.

Front lift:

Whole jeep in the air, no jackstands:

Rear stretched 2" with the Alcan wagoneer springs:

With new drop shackles, the jeep should sit level and flex like crazy. Can't wait to get the perches and get this thing closer. Should come in tomorrow.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I got my perches in today so here is an update:

Lining up the front perches. Since I didn't use stock springs, I had to set the caster properly instead of just welding them right across from the stockers

Since I am at home I had to use my stick welder:

Looking good:

Got the rear set in place:

Now for just for reference for future projects, I broke my pitman puller so I just hooked it up to the stock arm to see what it looked like:

Flexing it with the jack, Jack is maxed but jeep aint close:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
thats a lot of lift, what size tires is this gonna see?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats a lot of lift, what size tires is this gonna see?
It is bigger than anticipated. I am planning on 35x12.50s or possibly 35x13.50s I wish I had some I could test run and cycle the suspension

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I got the brake lines done. Had to put a new hardline on the passenger side rear. Got new ubolts on it and finished everything but the driveshafts. Getting mine lengthened tomorrow. I am considering going with 33x12.50s for flexing purposes. What do u think? I am putting TJ flares on it to make the tire look centered.:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looks Good now I'm wanting to see some trail pics with the new setup.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So i got the SOA 98% done. Got some small things to finish up. I am sitting at 98" wheelbase. I am taking it trail riding on saturday sooo....

Front end sitting pretty:

Already for the test drive, here are the best pics I could get at night:

Rear with the wagoneer stretch, I bought some TJ flares which will be going on to make the tire look centered again:

My only problem which will be fixed tomorrow with longer rear shackles:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts