Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe a dumb question but.... I have a 2" lift on my jeep right now and I'm looking to replace it with a 4" lift in the future. My upper and lower control arms need replaced BAD! Should I just replace with factory ones now and then upgrade when I put the new lift on or can I upgrade now? I hate doing something twice but I will to get me by for now. 2000 TJ Sahara

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Maybe a dumb question but.... I have a 2" lift on my jeep right now and I'm looking to replace it with a 4" lift in the future. My upper and lower control arms need replaced BAD! Should I just replace with factory ones now and then upgrade when I put the new lift on or can I upgrade now? I hate doing something twice but I will to get me by for now. 2000 TJ Sahara
Unless you plan on doing a 4" lift that includes johnny joint adjustable control arms, an sye, and double cardan drive shaft..yada yada, you would be better off to do something like a combo lift (3" suspension and 1.25" body lift). That will be far less expensive and will allow you to use your stock CA's which are far superior to the fixed CA's that come with the inexpensive 4" lift kits (and are known for tearing control arm brackets off frames and axles).

Stock CA's are available at places like Rockauto.com for about $25 each with the bushings already in them.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
Stay stock, Metalcloak, or arms with real Currie Johnny Joints in them (Currie, Savvy, Rokmen).

You will pay a premium for good arms, but it will be worth it in the long run. Don't cheap out on control arms, like I did, and have to buy them twice.

And X2 on the 3" + 1.25" combo lift.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts