Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:nonono:

I bought a brand new top off Craigslist from a guy yesterday (paid $750), and he had removed it from the box the night before to answer a few questions for me......well when he put it back in the box he kind of folded the rear window and shoved it down in the box, the vinyl crimped and then rolled in on itself creating this nice bubble and stress tear in it. I think he's going to make good on it, I just don't know if there's a viable repair I could opt for, or if I should push to get a refund for the cost of a new rear window. Check out the pics and let me know your thoughts?

I have a 2012 Unlimited Sport, this was an unopened top for a 2010 Unlimited Sahara. Thanks!

Attachments

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Caveat emptor. Hate to say it, but you should have looked at everything before buying it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the unproductive criticism, daggo. The crimp being white in color was camouflaged quite well by the light and sky reflection as I inspected it outdoors at our exchange. What can I say I'm human. Now, on to the productive advice/HELP I asked for.......anybody have any advice on repair? I'm leaning toward getting him to pay for the new window, which I think he's open to.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I would say since you have an experimental window, put a blow dryer to it and see what it does, and post how to and results afterward!

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
You will be surprised at how well these can rebound from things like this. I had a one from where mine fell in storage and folded over but when I but them back on my Jeep and it was stretched out and a good sunny day, can't tell it ever had one in it.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Thanks for the unproductive criticism, daggo. The crimp being white in color was camouflaged quite well by the light and sky reflection as I inspected it outdoors at our exchange. What can I say I'm human. Now, on to the productive advice/HELP I asked for.......anybody have any advice on repair? I'm leaning toward getting him to pay for the new window, which I think he's open to.
A complete repair is highly unlikely. As MTH said, feel free to experiment. Go back to CL and look for a rear window. Better yet, check the for sale sections of the various Jeep forums. It's usually a safer bet.

As far as unproductive criticism, I bet you check everything out next time. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I would say since you have an experimental window, put a blow dryer to it and see what it does, and post how to and results afterward!
x2
that might actually work, you should try it and let us know

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Call up your local marina/boat dealers. They usually have a person in-house or have a local shop that does their vinyl window replacements and repairs.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yeah apply some heat and it should help alot...I dont believe it will be perfect but i have got some nasty fold out with a hair dryer and even a heat gun (being very careful). As far as Daggo, that dude/chick (not sure) has lots of those great nuggets of wisdom for most people trying to use this forum for what its intended. TheNuge, goodluck with your window...Daggo, press on...

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
stretch it tight, blow on it w/a hair dryer. I'll bet it will lay right back flat again when it gets hot...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everybody. I'll try the heat gun and post some before and after pics. Daggo-if I burn myself with the heat gun and ask for advice on the wound....I'm counting on you to be the first one to tell me I should've kept my hand out of the fire.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
TheNuge said:
Thanks everybody. I'll try the heat gun and post some before and after pics. Daggo-if I burn myself with the heat gun and ask for advice on the wound....I'm counting on you to be the first one to tell me I should've kept my hand out of the fire.
Since you already know that, I'd tell you that you weren't smart enough to operate the tool. :)

·
Registered
16,248 Posts
daggo66 said:
Since you already know that, I'd tell you that you weren't smart enough to operate the tool. :)
:rofl:

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Hair dryer! Not heat gun! Otherwise you could accidentally melt the plastic. Much safer w/ a hair dryer.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Well...if he melts a hole into it, at least the stress-bubble is away :hide:
LOL.

I think I also recall a recommendation somewhere about running it with all the windows closed and the heater on. Something about positive air pressure combined w/ heat.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I'd try a sandwiching it between a couple peices of metal plate and some heat. A little pressure and heat and it should warm and flatten out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts