Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... if you guys couldn't already tell I've asked a lot of damn questions on this forum. I'm a to be Jeep owner. I'm just trying to figure out these dilemmas before I pull the trigger.

I've typed it all out in a document. It's about a 5 minute read. If anyone can seriously help me out with my insanity I'd appreciate it. I'm all over the place and I just don't want to make the wrong decision. I need some final input from other enthusiasts and experts. Shake me, yell at me, do anything to help me. I need it. I'm seriously going crazy! :facepalm:

Well here's the insanity:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WWf5dsMT1UWm4iLdVA3ShBHUAYSE7gxB1KNCHacVjB4/edit

Let me know... :hide:

·
Registered
336 Posts
I didn't read your entire doc, but I say go sport. The painted fenders on the sahara are apparently crap (cracked paint) AND get F'd up on the trail. And if you are into sound, which it seems like you are, just go aftermarket. Get 3.73 gears and LSD in your sport and be happy. Get the Sport S package. The sahara wheels are harder to sell should you want to do that as well. Most people don't want the 18s.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Agree with Potts. Sport with 3.73, LSD, and power package. Love the black over painted color contrast that the Sport gives.

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
I didn't read your entire doc, but I say go sport. The painted fenders on the sahara are apparently crap (cracked paint) AND get F'd up on the trail. And if you are into sound, which it seems like you are, just go aftermarket. Get 3.73 gears and LSD in your sport and be happy. Get the Sport S package. The sahara wheels are harder to sell should you want to do that as well. Most people don't want the 18s.
Read your doc....go sport. I agree with the above.

Get the 3.73. System and nav go aftermarket. Cheaper and better...I made the mistake and didn't do it. LSD, go aftermarket as well. I got the colored fenders, and took them off on day 1, since I knew they would be trashed instantly. 18" saharas are damn near impossible to sell for any real money. Get the sport with the options you want, and save the rest of the money for aftermarket toys. You will be far happier.

You don't need a $2000 system in the Jeep to make your ears bleed. Mine cost me under $800, and can hurt your ears, and would sound even better with a real headunit...I was stuck with mine since it's a 730N.

Skip the diff, get an Eaton without clutchpacks so that there is no wear.

Skip the side steps and get ace rock rails or smittybilts. Looks 10x better and more functional.

Skip the connectivity group. With an aftermarket headunit, it goes bye bye.

Get the hardtop.

If you want leather, go with katzkin or even better a local shop. Unless the dealer gives you a smoking deal, it's usually better without the middle man.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Holy crap man. That's a LOT of questions- and there is no possible way you'll get answers. This thread will go all over the place. I'd respectfully suggest posting a couple of threads pertaining to a single subject- lift, tires, sound etc. Or review the threads- every question you've mentioned has been covered.
Some notes to help:
  • Expect about $500 if you sell your stock wheels and tires- at least in my area. All over Craig's list.
  • If you're worried about audio out the gate- you'll want to add aftermarket even if you get the upgraded system. Many, many audio threads so I won't go into detail. Possible exception is if you're glued to the Nav/blu-tooth.
  • If you are not sure you want a lift- certainly don't do it at the dealer. You'll get better equipment after-market at a better price. You may void your warranty on those items related to the lift and the lift only. With all the other items buzzing in your head- just drive it for awhile and worry about the lift later. Then search the lift reviews. You can still go to the the dealer if you want afterwards- but don't finance it.
  • It seems you are very concerned about budget- understandably. If that's the case- I'd suggest you get the Sport. Jeeps are cheap to upgrade and since you're already on the forum- you'll find plenty of other stuff you'll want to spend money on even if you get the Sahara. Give yourself more play money. If you're tied to painted fenders or leather the Sahara makes sense- but it doesn't seem like you know if you want either. (With due respect to Sahara owners; basing statement on budget/items mentioned in the thesis).
  • However the hard top, 3.73 gears, limited slip etc. are worth it. I considered buying a hardtop aftermarket but its more expensive.
Shew...hope that helps. No offense but I think you really need to make up your own mind on some of this stuff or you'll drive yourself crazy with the options. Or just walk into a dealership and buy one that hits your gut or your wallet in just the right place.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
You can't go wrong with either choice. Tomorrow I'm going to post a picture of a billet Sahara with black wheels, it may change your mind.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have sahara, but based on your write up and what everyone says above, you should go for the sport without the lift. Drive it for a while and figure out what you want to use it for (lots of off-road or occasional off road). That'll determine your lift etc. I love my sahara, but definitely agree not to spend the money on connectivity group (clock sucks, sounds is ok at best, and speakers need polyfil to sound better). If I was going to heavily modify a jeep I would go with a sport.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Go Sport... Why? No.1: Potential paint cracking on Sahara flares...That should be enough to scare you off. No.2: The entire Jeep line has painted flares (Compass, Liberty, G. Cherokee)...Don't you wanna set yourself apart?

Plus, don't look at this as a dilemma... You are stressing yourself out and, frankly, taking all the fun out of what otherwise should be a fun experience. Man up, sack up, and make a decision to buy! And have some fun!

·
Registered
937 Posts
And lastly, if you are going to modify, do it all at the beginning... The parts will age with the car, and there's something to be said for that. Plus, enjoy the mods while the car is new! I lifted my Jeep at 300 miles and was pissed it wasn't sooner! If the guy installing my lift woulda been available at the beginning, I woulda drove it to his house from the dealer!

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Hail to the Chief.
Except I dis-agree. A little. Respectfully. My only thought, especially for the OP, is to decide what you like/want and get a baseline for performance (chuckle, its a Jeep)/stock stuff. Ie: Make sure you drive out any kinks or potential warranty items before you go nuts. I also lifted/modified right out the gate- and found myself going "did it do that before"? I have shifting issues with 4th and I honestly don't know if it was like that before and I didn't notice- or if its the lift/mods. (Probably). But I sure as heck can't take it in now- they'll "your gearing is too low" laugh me right out the door.
No offense, just IMO. There's some pretty angry people on the forum today. Peace!

·
Registered
937 Posts
JeepHerz said:
Hail to the Chief.
Except I dis-agree. A little. Respectfully. My only thought, especially for the OP, is to decide what you like/want and get a baseline for performance (chuckle, its a Jeep)/stock stuff. Ie: Make sure you drive out any kinks or potential warranty items before you go nuts. I also lifted/modified right out the gate- and found myself going "did it do that before"? I have shifting issues with 4th and I honestly don't know if it was like that before and I didn't notice- or if its the lift/mods. (Probably). But I sure as heck can't take it in now- they'll "your gearing is too low" laugh me right out the door.
No offense, just IMO. There's some pretty angry people on the forum today. Peace!
You and I both know that your 4th gear issue has nothing to do with your suspension being lifted a few inches... I'll bet you're glad you got your lift when you did and wouldn't change a thing!

Our friend, en1ma, so aptly named, needs to dive-in and chill!

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
What, you mean 400 extra lbs of bumper, skids, sliders, winch and steel might have something to do with it? Or you mean my MTs? ;)
And I agree- buy and enjoy!

·
Registered
53 Posts
If I could do it over again... I'd still get my Sport, just with Dual tops and Max Tow (just for the springs and 3.73). Aaaannd aftermarket everything else.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Max Tow package does nothing for springs. How did that rumor start?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts