Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I'm relatively new here. First time posting pictures etc., so let me know if I should change anything.

I figured I post a project I've been working on with my two daughters.advised me that a quick body repair with crusher type corner covers would be the best route for a couple of teenaged drivers. That was the route I was travelling...until I came upon a almost rust free tub for short money then I jump off the edge!

A friend at work was getting rid of his Jeep and sold it to me real cheep for my girls. The 16 year old gets her learner's permit next week and the 18 year old is tired of driving my wife's old minivan. I planned on a quick clean up and let them drive it into the ground. A couple things changed (besides my obsessive compulsive disorder!). First, my daughters got real interested in the mechanical aspects and wanted to help with the repairs. Second, my oldest had just applied to College and might be interested in Mechnical Engineering. With both of these in mind we decided that a rebuild changing the rusty tub with a caved in rear quarter would be a good "bonding" project and a chance for them to get aquainted with some tools and basic auto knowlege.

We started by rolling the "new" tub on it's firewall and the girs got aquainted with the angle grinder with a wire wheel attachment. The underside was in really clean shape with much of the original undercoating in tact. We mixed up the coal tar epoxy left over from my boat's fuel tank project and they touched up as necessary.

We then made a wooden cradle to hold the tub, I shot a coat of red paint on the inside over the brown durabak the previous owner had applied. The girls then removed everything they could unbolt and we moved this all to the new body replacing heater core, etc as we went.

We then removed the old body and started to make a game plan to attack the running gear and any frame issues. There was a decent amount of rust to some cross members, behind the power steering box and some of the mounts. Then the devil on my shoulder found a sandblasted frame at a reasonable price and the project took another turn. The girls touched up the frame with the wire wheels and we POR-15'ed the frame. We removed all the running gear and suspension and started removing 16 years of New England rust. The motor, trany, and transfer case we pulled in one piece and placed on yet another 2x6 frame.

More to follow,
John

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
Looks like a great start, and a great father daughter project too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Removal of the old bushings was a bear until I started drillin the old rubber out of the way, pushing the inner sleaves out, and using a cold chisel and (now broken!) screwdriver to pry the outer sleaves out. New bushing were presssed in.

The assembly of the chassis has actually went well. We replaced the ball joints, tie rod ends, spring bushings, brake lines, front end u-joints, sway bar and track bar bushings, etc. etc etc. Axels, track bars, springs were coated with 3M undercoating.

We encountered our first major snag when we started to re-install the drivetrain. The new frame was a 4 cylinder like our old one so we figured it would be a bolt in like everything else, but the passenger side frame bracket is 1" forward of the original.

I was considering cutting the bracket and moving (with the help of my brother who is a MUCH more talented welder than me) or fabricating a 1/4" plate on top of the mount with some gussets down the back side. I found another 2.5L motor for sale on ebay in a frame that matches our new frame. I spoke with the seller who measured his frame and it matches ours. I'm guessing the motor mount brackets on the motor itself might be different. He's pulling them and going to send them to me hopefully getting us back on track. We are hoping to mount the tub before the dreaded white stuff starts falling from the sky.

I'll update as progress continues. We are starting to fab bumpers while we wait for engine brackets pic's to follow soon

-John

·
Registered
280 Posts
looks good and looks like your girls are having fun help building the jeep, but talk about a fun project.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking good :)

I do have a tip that will help you though. Next time you need to remove a bushing like that, just set it on fire with a torch and let it burn out...then the sleeve falls out with a gentle tap. But, you will wanna do it outside

Thanks,
I've done them like that, but I was trying to stay warm (little garage not heated) so we were working in the basement....wife just hates the smell of burnt rubber with smoke detectors going off!!! Burning them is deffinitely the quicker way to go.
-John

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After a tip from a very knowlegable Jeep expert, I found that Jeep changed the passenger motor mount bracket (on the engine) after 1990. Our motor had the 1994 one. I was able to get the one we needed. It relocated the engine mount forward and inch. It was narrower than the '94 one, so I had to cut the motor mount center down and inch and everything lined up as it was supposed to.

The steel unit is the earlier on (pre-'90) and the alloy one is the later one.

With that headache out of the way, we now can move forward and hopefully get the body mounted this week if time allows. I have to finish up a rear bumper I'm making and we have to run new e-brake cables first (too cold to lie on back this time of year to work
. We also just picked up a hardtop for $75 that need a little glecoat repair/paint job next spring but will keep the girls much warmer this winter

More updates to follow.
-John

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
i love them gambler rims.. had em on my jeep before i replaced em.. now they are on the xj i shared with my mom.. def makes a jeep look a lot nicer with em on

just saw this today on another forum.. i like what he did with em.. in case they may want some black rims and new ones are outta the question.. black rims on a jeep are always nicer imo

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i love them gambler rims.. had em on my jeep before i replaced em.. now they are on the xj i shared with my mom.. def makes a jeep look a lot nicer with em on

just saw this today on another forum.. i like what he did with em.. in case they may want some black rims and new ones are outta the question.. black rims on a jeep are always nicer imo

Exactly what we had planned on for the spring. Probably with red center caps to accent the red body. I was trying to decide if I would tape off the rivets like those or just media blast the whole thing and paint satin black. I think I like the silver rivets.

Toshpate, Already have 4 kids....no more room at the inn...and another Jeep project the wife will throw me out...but I do have a set of Dana 44's that will fit a CJ frame....:firedevil:
-John

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Exactly what we had planned on for the spring. Probably with red center caps to accent the red body. I was trying to decide if I would tape off the rivets like those or just media blast the whole thing and paint satin black. I think I like the silver rivets.

Toshpate, Already have 4 kids....no more room at the inn...and another Jeep project the wife will throw me out...but I do have a set of Dana 44's that will fit a CJ frame....:firedevil:
-John

eww no red center caps lol.. my ex painted hers pink (worse than red i know) but it looked like crap.. black and silver are the way to go.. especially on a red jeep..

but then again.. thats just my opinion lol

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
That jeep will look brand new when you are done. Looking great so far. Gotta cj7 I'm going to do like that soon.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Looks awesome!
Wish I could of came across a better tub before I started my Lifelong build :p

Goodluck giving the keys away to your daughters :p

Luckily you can just give them your car and keep the jeep :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
wow great work so far !

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I wish my dad would do projects on my jeep with me. But instead he wants me to run it till it dies and scrap it. He hates what I'm doing to it. (well see how he likes it in the summer time when I'm all done :firedevil:)

1 - 20 of 109 Posts