Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It's been a couple of weeks since an update guys. A week before Christmas, the white stuff started falling in Mass, but not before we got our tub mounted on the frame. The plan was to spend Saturday and Sunday finishing some brake lines, mount our newly fab'ed rear bumper, and tie up a few loose ends and then mount the body. The weather man changed our plans slightly when they predicted a possible Nor-east winter storm for Sunday. We where under the gun on Saturday to try to button up what we could.

We have had the rolling frame in the tiny garage/"shed" that sits 8' away from our house. The body has been on a cradle behind the shed on a patio. Once the loose ends were finished up, we rolled the frame into the driveway. I gave the girls a rolling jack and told them they would have to "skid" the rear end over to line it up for the roll up the yard (they've done this with me several times during the project). I went down to the basement to get the new body mounts and wanted to see how they would do on their own. They surprised me when I came up. They had their 10 year old sister and 13 year old brother help and they had the frame rolled around the garage and almost lined up with the body. Amazing how they can fight like cats and dogs then put it all aside and work like a team when necessary!

If you look closely, you can see the engine lift behind the body. I tied it to the roll bar and my wife manned the hydraulics. We lifted the front up and slid some 2x4's under the tub and supported with saw horses. I climbed under with my chainsaw and cut the cradle out of the way then we rolled the frame under. We had a couple of old body mount bolts that refused to budge. I used an angle grinder to cut access flaps in the floor and removed the factory "nut". We replaced with large washers and nylock nuts on the new bolts. I will tack the flaps down later and seal with seam.

Sorry no pics of the mounted body. As the afternoon wore on the sun set, the temps dropped 10 degrees, and the threat of snow grew closer so the camera was put away. We rolled the Jeep back to the driveway and it fit in the tiny garage with 1/2" of clearance between the hardtop and the door opening. All is tucked away out of the snow. Now that the holidays are over we'll have to plan our attack. We may just put up a "blue tent" on the front of the garage with portable heaters on warmer days or try to move to a larger garage to work (couple options possibly available from some generous Jeep enthusiasts). Worse case we pick away at it this winter doing what we can and finish in the early spring.

We have the battery tray, radiator support, power steering pump, etc in the basement shop and will be cleaning and painting as necessary. Santa brought a console with a stereo mount and some d-rings for the new bumper ;). We'll be mountin the stereo and probably making a plate for the stock dash radio location to mount a CB.

We'll get some updated body mounted pictures next time it rolls out into the light from it's tight hide-away.
-John

·
Registered
144 Posts
Fun stuff - I'll have to show this thread 2 my daughter I'm lucky 2 get her 2 help wash a car!!! LOL

·
Registered
70 Posts
I like it. Nice job (and I guess the time spent with the kids working on it are priceless). And this started as a quickie fix for the girls to run around in.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
Tell the daughters they are doing a great job! Teaching them this stuff at a young age will simplify they're lives when it comes to future vehicle maintenance. Even if they grow up and do not do they're own work, they will at least understand what it is being done and will not be pushed over by any certified parts replacers who don't troubleshoot.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for the possitive comments guys. There's been times when I've had to carry the project to keep it moving, but the girls have really shown interrest in the process and wanted to be involved with more than just the "fun stuff". We're stripping and painting odds and end brackets and pieces from under the hood as well as stripping minor rust and priming the front fenders in the basement. Plan is to pick away at project and hopefully have assembled for paint in spring. We'll keep you updated.
-John

·
Registered
429 Posts
Tell the daughters they are doing a great job! Teaching them this stuff at a young age will simplify they're lives when it comes to future vehicle maintenance. Even if they grow up and do not do they're own work, they will at least understand what it is being done and will not be pushed over by any certified parts replacers who don't troubleshoot.
I totally agree with every word of this and second it.

Further more I mothion for 94YJ to be considered as DAD of the year.

Pretty awesome.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys sorry we’ve been absent here lately. The New England weather and the schedules of 2 high school daughters has made “Jeep Time” difficult. We have managed to scrap out a couple of projects to move the YJ along.

My body work has previously been bolt on replacement parts and bondo. It was time to pull out the welder and give it a shot. The tub we bought was mostly rust free. There are only 2 areas that needed attention. The first was on the passenger side lower near the firewall. We cut a patch panel out of a donor fender with the 90* bend still intact. It was scribed over the damaged area and the grinder made quick work of the removal. I welded the piece in, ground it down and faired it will some filler. The patch was primed to protect it until the planned spring paint job

Sorry for the picture quality…or lack there! Not sure why they came out so bad but I was too happy to see the repair work than to worry about my photographic skills. The patch is not perfect, but since it will be covered by a rocker guard I figured it was a great place to practice.

We cleaned up the greasy rusty brackets for the radiator and washer bottles, the jack mount, horn bracket, etc and the girls shot them in the basement with rattle cans.

One day a couple weeks back it reached a whooping 34* out and my oldest had no swim practice so we decided to spray the insides of the used fenders we had been sanding and self etch priming in the basement. We hung a drop cloth in the opening to the small garage that is housing our red project. We warmed the fenders by the woodstove in the house then brought them out one at a time and sprayed them. They were then carried down to the basement shop and hung from the ceiling to dry. This was my daughter’s first time with a spray gun. She did well.
First we shot the dupont primer.

After the primer flashed, we switched guns and laid on the red on the inner fenders and all the mating surfaces and jams. The outsides will me sanded again after assembly before we shoot the rest of the body.

Now I just picked up a pipe bender from HF and we are messing around with scrap pipe trying to decide our plans for the front bumper...more to follow!
-John

·
Registered
520 Posts
Good to see you back on the jeep and nice job on the patch. The weather has been unbelievably cold this year. Never mind all the snow.

I'm sad to say I'm heading for the garage now to see if I can get mine into prime. I'm dragging my feet because I just don't want to paint.:banghead: Normally I'm there by now.

Throw the body on a trailer and bring down the shop and get it painted. Then you might get some warmer days to start on the interior.

60 days to warmer weather.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I your interested here is a spot in the garage you can put your body. We just need to put the roll cage and rack up stairs. Then you can leave it inside. Weekend work only.
Building Aisle Retail Floor Supermarket
I see you have carts with wheel on them. Put the body on a cart and you can roll it into the shop if you need to. Heats on and the offer is there. Up to you. If you want to feel at home I'll leave the heat off. Just kidding...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I showed this post to my 10yr old girl to see if I could get her help with me in the garage as a second set of hands when I'm working on my 94 YJ....

....she now wants me to look for a project like this for us to do--

this is great man--- you are an awesome dad!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks Guys.

Packratt...there are plenty of time my kids might not agree with you (like when I come home after working a couple night shifts and am less than patient :banghead: ), but I have great kids and we get along well...I also have a very patient wife!;) We are also building a camp in Maine and everyone has spent time working on that too. I also have pictures of them when we redid a bunch of things on our '85 Mako center console fishing boat last summer. Tough thing is balancing our schedules so they are still included in the project, but it doesn't lag too much so they still stay interrested.

Always stuck, school vacation is next week and we will be travelling. I'll see what the girls schedules are and be in touch after that. Your generousity is very much appreciated. Incidentially, we have our body mounted (the tub and radiator), just no fenders on yet. I still have to fab the rocker guards and address a couple body issues before we can paint. It's going to be 50* the end of the week and I'm jammed with work and we have to leave on Saturday morning for New Jersey to visit relatives! Figures just my luck!

Hopefully updates soon,
-John

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Time for a quick update on the YJ project. We managed to get a slight break in the weather (above 30degrees) and got the fenders, radiator support, etc installed.

We picked this front bumper up for $20 and the girls decided on the design so we put the new HF bender into use and started to modify.

This is how we bought it:

Here it is with a tube light brush guard and a couple of fabbed light mounts for the KC daylighters.

I'm just self-learning how to weld, so don't look too closely!

I actually had a whole Saturday off, so we pulled the Jeep out of the tiny garage, removed the top/doors and tried to make progress on the body work. Ideally we are hoping for paint by end of month. There was on area just behind the "Jeep" name in front of the driver's door where the panel was rusting from behind. I cut it out, POR-15'ed the brace behind and welded a patch panel in. Then I welded the 6 holes in the lower body (each side) where there were factory steps at one time. I tacked some disks of metal on the inside and then filled the holes with weld. Then a couple coats of marine filler and a bunch of sanding and the rockers at least are ready for paint.

Here's one more with the bumper sitting in place....another day with the sander and sandblaster and we should be ready for primer.

-John

·
Administrator
30,785 Posts
It's looking great. You should be very proud of your girls.

ps. I love this thread.

·
I'm not lost
1,974 Posts
I love it! I wish more dad's would take the time to encourage their daughters to do stuff like this! Men are great but a woman should know how to take care of their car without a man to do it ;-)

My dad always had me help him on things he did to our cars/trucks although we never did a full tear down and build! I was also a helper when he did wood projects. I have probably forgotten more then what I have retained, but i still like to get out and help the hubby on projects.

Keep up the Great work!

·
Banned
90 Posts
Wish I could live in a place were u can do stuff like this. Damn homeowners assc.

21 - 40 of 109 Posts