Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
201 - 220 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
Interesting! I'm on the road today, but it might be an interesting discussion... What do you think about replacing your front XR springs with the 2" springs from the Mopar kit? It would be cheap and might get your to a height you would like better.
If I didn’t already have the RK 2.5” springs that would certainly be consideration.
However, going from a prospective 1.5” spring to a 2” May not net enough to be worth the work.
But to be totally honest I am somewhat spoiled by the ride of the triple rate springs and RockSport shock combo.

As for the bumpstops, it’s just one thing less I have to worry about buying and they will likely be good enough for 37s if I go that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
The monster bump stops are not from the Mopar lift; are from the EcoDiesel.
So those monster bumpstops are only 1.25” longer then the original non lifted Rubicon bumpstop so really no different then adding a 1.5” puck to the bottom .. one thing less I have to buy.

·
Premium Member
17,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
If I didn’t already have the RK 2.5” springs that would certainly be consideration.
However, going from a prospective 1.5” spring to a 2” May not net enough to be worth the work.
But to be totally honest I am somewhat spoiled by the ride of the triple rate springs and RockSport shock combo.

As for the bumpstops, it’s just one thing less I have to worry about buying and they will likely be good enough for 37s if I go that route.

I completely spaced out on the RK springs you have. Although the Mopar springs normally give around 3" to 3.25" of front lift. That XR looks like a lot less than that based on the bump stop gap.

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
Sitting beside a stock Rubicon it is definitely a few inches taller and just shy of my daughters Sahara with a 2.5” TF spacer lift on 35s. I’ll need to get some comparison pics before I change springs.
Is there a diagram out there with lift measurements for the JL like we have for the JK?

·
Premium Member
17,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Sitting beside a stock Rubicon it is definitely a few inches taller and just shy of my daughters Sahara with a 2.5” TF spacer lift on 35s. I’ll need to get some comparison pics before I change springs.
Is there a diagram out there with lift measurements for the JL like we have for the JK?

Not that I've seen... We need to make one. I'll try to start getting some measurements.

Reactions: JTPhoto JK

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
So a few measurements taken and it appears that the plastic bumper version springs are pretty sad once you put a steel bumper and winch on lol ... apparently my front end is now barely an inch (in lift) higher then a stock Rubicon. Of course the tires make it stand taller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting that the XRecon package uses the red rubi shocks. So that got me thinking....I have a 22 Willys sport 4dr with the red rubi shocks. Would I be able to get away with using the Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Base Lift Kit without the shocks and use my existing rubi shocks with the lift?

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
Although the XR shocks look like the regular red Rubi shocks no one has confirmed whether or not they are in fact the same part number as regular Rubi shocks. Once I swap mine out I’ll get the actual part nuMbers off them and post here.
Personally, if you don’t want to change shocks yet, just get the shock extensions with the TeraFlex 2.5” kit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Jeff, I appreciate your response. I'm still researching my options for 2-3 inch lift for 35 inch tires on stock rims to be done at the same time. I've been looking at most of the options Pressurized listed above. I'm leaning towards the Dynatrac kit but Mopar warranty is also tempting. Higher end Teraflex kit with adjustable Fox shocks too. It's been exactly 40 years since my last jeep and I can't believe all the choices and how much the sport has grown.

·
Premium Member
17,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Thanks Jeff, I appreciate your response. I'm still researching my options for 2-3 inch lift for 35 inch tires on stock rims to be done at the same time. I've been looking at most of the options Pressurized listed above. I'm leaning towards the Dynatrac kit but Mopar warranty is also tempting. Higher end Teraflex kit with adjustable Fox shocks too. It's been exactly 40 years since my last jeep and I can't believe all the choices and how much the sport has grown.
All 3 ride similarly... Spring rates are not far off of each other and the Fox shocks are also very close. Mopar and Dynatrac both claim the shocks are tuned to their specs, but it's really hard to tell the difference between them.

Reactions: HazeGray

·
Premium Member
17,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Thanks for your reply Pressurized...Would I need wheel spacers if I use stock wheels?
Different tires can change that answer a bit. I would add 1.25" wheel spacers to ensure the clearance.

A note, we used a 1/2" or 3/4" spacer with the Dynatrac kit to keep it close to level. Another member here recently installed the Dynatrac and found that it would take more spring spacer than that, like 1.5" to level out. I was surprised by that, but just wanted to mention it.

Reactions: HazeGray

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
This weekend I’ll be installing 2.5” Rock Krawler triple rate springs in my Rubi XR. I will confirm part numbers for the take off Xtreme Recon springs and get the PNs off the shocks and Trackbars. I will also take before and after measurements.. as it is the XR does have a slight rake and like the JK usually need 1/2-1” extra spring or spacer (especially with softtop) to reduce the rake.

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
2.5” RK Front springs done so far. Difference over Xtreme Recon

Shock length eye to eye
Before 20”
After 22.25”

Front edge of spring cup to top of axle tube
Before 11.25”
After 13.5”

Ground to center of front fender lip
Before 40”
After 42.25”

Could not find any numbers or tags on the front springs. This is the front shock number.

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
Measurements from XR springs to 2.5” RK springs. RESULT: 2.25” front, 1.25” rear.

Front:

Shock length pin to pin B-20”, A-22.25”

Front edge of spring cup to top of Axle tube B-11.5”, A-13.75”

Center of front fender at lip to ground. B-40”, A-42.25”

Rear:

Shock length pin to pin. B-23.5”, A-24.75”

Upper jounce bumper cup to bumpstop plate B-6.25” , A-7.5”

Center of rear fender at lip to ground. B-41.5”, A-42.75”

·
Premium Member
17,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
From XR stock to 2.5” Rock Krawler springs.
Before

After

I'd say that looks about how I expected. We've had nice results with the RK springs... Next tire size?

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
I’m just gonna stay with the 35s. For our bunch that’s the norm. Did the 37”
Thing on my JKs and found no real advantage other then where I could go no one else could follow so if I did get stuck I was on my own. It’s also my DD and travel rig …

201 - 220 of 221 Posts