Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
221 - 240 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all,
Newbie here, Live in Montana and wheel moderately in the Rockies where I live, just bought my first jeep and its a 2021 JLUR "XR", 35", 4.56 etc.
My XR has quite a forward tilt to it I would like to get rid of most of it and get another 1-1.5" of lift and mostly level it out.
DD and really like the suspension as it is, not to harsh, works great with the sway bar disconnect so my main concern in a lift is for daily driving, kind of plush, if I get a little more flex thats great but not required.
Adding a alum front bumper and a winch which will add about 150lbs to the front, will carry full size spare all the time, weekend warrior so no major loads of any kind other then another passenger and some lightweight mining equip in the back.
Would like to end up around 43" to the bttm of the front fender xr flair at the center of the axle and about 42" at the rear.
This is a great thread, thank you all for it, but being a newbie to this has left my head spinning. Way to many things for me to consider to even try making this decision on my own.
Looking at the mopar and skyjacker lifts as mentioned on this thread, and others. Inexpensive is a plus, but at the same time I dont want cheap junk. Also would probably want to add lower control arms and probably ft track bar if this is the correct way to go.
I do have an extended jeep warranty so thats on my mind also but not a deal breaker.
Im all ears, would really appreciate guidance.
Thank you

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
As per my post a couple back you can see by my measurements that 2.5” lift springs on an XR will put you in that ballpark and will level out your ride. I prefer the Rock krawler triple rate springs personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Jeff, yes your post and pressurized got me to join and post.
What is the ride like with the rock crawler triple rate springs like compared to stock ride?.Seems to have leveled you out pretty well.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Hi Jeff, yes your post and pressurized got me to join and post.
What is the ride like with the rock crawler triple rate springs like compared to stock ride?.Seems to have leveled you out pretty well.
The ride with the Rock Krawler Triple rates are much nicer then stock. Coupled with Metal Cloak shocks (I’ll put those in next week) it’s likely the best ride you ever get with the Wrangler. Well worth the swap.

·
Premium Member
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Hi all,
Newbie here, Live in Montana and wheel moderately in the Rockies where I live, just bought my first jeep and its a 2021 JLUR "XR", 35", 4.56 etc.
My XR has quite a forward tilt to it I would like to get rid of most of it and get another 1-1.5" of lift and mostly level it out.
DD and really like the suspension as it is, not to harsh, works great with the sway bar disconnect so my main concern in a lift is for daily driving, kind of plush, if I get a little more flex thats great but not required.
Adding a alum front bumper and a winch which will add about 150lbs to the front, will carry full size spare all the time, weekend warrior so no major loads of any kind other then another passenger and some lightweight mining equip in the back.
Would like to end up around 43" to the bttm of the front fender xr flair at the center of the axle and about 42" at the rear.
This is a great thread, thank you all for it, but being a newbie to this has left my head spinning. Way to many things for me to consider to even try making this decision on my own.
Looking at the mopar and skyjacker lifts as mentioned on this thread, and others. Inexpensive is a plus, but at the same time I dont want cheap junk. Also would probably want to add lower control arms and probably ft track bar if this is the correct way to go.
I do have an extended jeep warranty so thats on my mind also but not a deal breaker.
Im all ears, would really appreciate guidance.
Thank you
I answered in your PM... We use the RK springs a fair amount too. I personally had an issue with sag in my rear springs on my JKU, so I recommend them a little less than I would otherwise. And the Metalcloak shocks are very good, my favorite on the JK. Although I like the Fox a little bit better on the JL, it's not a big difference.

The nice part about this feedback is we are all enthusiasts here and not trying to sell you something specific because we profit from it. And @JTPhoto JK is giving you direct feedback on an XR package JL... Gotta love that.

Just remember, when you put on the bumper, you might need to add a coil spacer to the front to stay level... 3/4" or 1" would be my guess.

For example: Daystar 3/4in Front Leveling Kit

Reactions: JTPhoto JK

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Jeff, is that combination in a "kit" or custom build?
Are you going to add lca or trac bars?
No this is simply a combination I came up with through experimenting with different springs and shocks. So far with the XR set up I have no need for different control arms or track bars. However, if I were to go with a 3.5 or 4.5” front spring set I would certainly be looking at other components.
As it is the XR already has the appropriate amount of bumpstop to clear the factory fenders so it really doesn’t need much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
Very important to note that if you are not changing tire size, minimal components are needed. Typically, we only lift to run a bigger tire... However, we have to be careful with shocks as that can change things a bit.

Reactions: JTPhoto JK

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jtphoto and pressurized, both of you mention since i am not changing out my 35" tires at this time, I really like the stock XR ride quality what is a minimal part requirement to adding a 2.5" lift + probably a 1" spacer to the front due to bumper/winch weight.
The one issue I worry about is ending up with a stiffer/harsher DD.
I ask this because down the road I may want to go with 37" tires and don't want to have to throw out an expensive 2.5 lift that is "just so so for 37"only to end up wanting a real lift designed for 37".
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Jtphoto and pressurized, both of you mention since i am not changing out my 35" tires at this time, I really like the stock XR ride quality what is a minimal part requirement to adding a 2.5" lift + probably a 1" spacer to the front due to bumper/winch weight.
The one issue I worry about is ending up with a stiffer/harsher DD.
I ask this because down the road I may want to go with 37" tires and don't want to have to throw out an expensive 2.5 lift that is "just so so for 37"only to end up wanting a real lift designed for 37".
Thanks.
The 2.5” springs gave me enough room To handle 37” tires just fine, lots of room there. The factory XR factory suspension was designed for 35” tires already so you need just a bit more. As pressurized has mentioned once you start adding weight to the front it will drop a bit. You will still have lots of tire room but if you are like me, I don’t like the factory rake (nose down), so a spring spacer can be added to compensate.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
yes that factory nose down rake is almost terrible.
Did your "stock XR" shocks and bump stops work with the 2.5" springs.
Yes the bumpstops work fine and the factory shocks are fine untill I switch them out to the Metal Cloak RockSport shocks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Once you ‘level’ your jeep the arse will be drooping as soon as you put cargo in it or start adding weight in the back or pull a trailer. That is why jeeps and trucks come with a raised rear end. Keep that in mind when you do your kit. If you think a low nose looks silly a high nose looks sillier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jt photo
Thanks for the follow up on your spring lift with your XR. Your hght gain is just what I am looking for.
Any issue with brake lines? Alignment issues?

How are the stock shocks working with those new springs?

What is your next step concerning the lift? Do you feel the need to change out lca or track bar?
Thanks for the update, appreciated.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Jt photo
Thanks for the follow up on your spring lift with your XR. Your hght gain is just what I am looking for.
Any issue with brake lines? Alignment issues?

How are the stock shocks working with those new springs?

What is your next step concerning the lift? Do you feel the need to change out lca or track bar?
Thanks for the update, appreciated.
So far everything is perfect with only the spring swap. Handling and tracking is exactly the same as stock.
  • Brake lines are more then long enough with factory shocks but I will have to revisit this once I put the longer shocks on.
  • Caster is fine so there is no need for longer control arms
  • No alignment issues
  • tracking is fine so no need for adjustable trackbars.
  • factory shocks have been fine
  • I am not a fan of how the factory shocks are valved, however they work fine. I will be swapping them out for MC RockSport shocks soon.
Overall the road manners have not changed other then it rides much nicer. The MC shocks will take that up another notch. Personally I think the height and stance is perfect for 35 and 37” tires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why will putting new shocks on change the brake line disposition?
Is that because you will change out the bump stops for more travel with longer shocks?

How about emergency brake cable? Any changes needed?
Thanks

221 - 240 of 273 Posts