Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Excellent work! This is right on the money of the design I plan to do, though I may try using King Starboard as the material. I really like the texture pieces.

I can't tell if yours locks. Also, what type of hinge did you use?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The funny thing is the most expensive part of my cover was the black hinge. I originally just bought a stainless hinge. Sanded. Primed. And painted black. But it kept scraping off.

I am going to put a slide lock on it. But not on yet. But I have found that if u use the rear window lower strip. It locks it in place real well. Lock or not if they get the back door open they r gonna take ur shit

·
Registered
31 Posts
Loogs good

I like it, much nicer fit than the one I made. I needed mine to disassemble easy and also fit with soft top or hard top so mine was a 3 piece design that will still fit through the hard top opening.

IMG_0157.jpg

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a template. key word had. my puppy got in the garage and ripped it to pieces...this is my first attempt and I am happy with it but I still want it to be able to stop water from getting in trunk. the issue I am having is around the rollbars. since I want it to be used like a regular trunk and open. finding the right weatherstripping is hard. as it keeps falling off or peeling off. or it makes it difficult to shut all the way.

couple things I would do
-get it waterproof around the roll bars
-use metal for the piece that holds the "trunk" in place when closed. as after putting on the bedliner. it sticks a little on hot days

I can go measure it and post it later. after the initial template it was a bunch of trial and error. especially for the 2 front side pieces.

it you get a 4x8 plywood. you will have enough wood to make a few mistakes and adjustments on every piece except for the part that opens.

one of these days I will do a write up

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had a template. key word had. my puppy got in the garage and ripped it to pieces...this is my first attempt and I am happy with it but I still want it to be able to stop water from getting in trunk. the issue I am having is around the rollbars. since I want it to be used like a regular trunk and open. finding the right weatherstripping is hard. as it keeps falling off or peeling off. or it makes it difficult to shut all the way.

couple things I would do
-get it waterproof around the roll bars
-use metal for the piece that holds the "trunk" in place when closed. as after putting on the bedliner. it sticks a little on hot days

I can go measure it and post it later. after the initial template it was a bunch of trial and error. especially for the 2 front side pieces.

it you get a 4x8 plywood. you will have enough wood to make a few mistakes and adjustments on every piece except for the part that opens.

one of these days I will do a write up
I would kill to get a digital copy of exact dimensions. I think this would be somewhere but I haven't seen it. Would be so easy to laser cut a variety of covers. My plan involves using aluminium to support the top, but I really like the shape of your design, will probably modify mine to match.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you ever take the cover off, if you take a top down picture of each piece with a ruler next to it I can do a digital copy of dimensions and make it available to members here.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
@mrsmith210

Fantastic DIY Cover!
Couple follow-up questions for you...

Where'd you get the hinge from?

Have you done any further write-ups on it?

Any chance you dropped a walk-around on youtube?

Again, excellent job!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts