Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some months back, I posed this question to the forum:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/jeep-compatible-tailgating-grill-232593.html

I would like to answer my own question now...

I ordered a grill end from Poplin Fabrications: Poplin Fabrication - Tailgating Grills

It took about 3 months from order time to arrival of the grill.

The part they make is just a mount. It is in 2 pieces, the first piece is the part that attaches to the hitch:

The second piece is a table that attaches to the bottom part:

I ran over to OSH and got a Weber Q 220 and tested it on a table:

The table that the grill mounts to for the hitch attachment has a bunch of slots in it, I'm guessing these slots are designed for bolts. The Weber Q has a non-removable plastic foot base, that fits perfectly on the table, but does not have any place to use bolts.

Enter some metal things that look like zip ties. I found them in the pipe section of my local hardware store. This be before I tightened them down.

After tightening them, they are pretty solid, so I really doubt this grill is going to come off.

After putting all this together, I encountered disaster!

The part that holds the grill isn't long enough so I could not close it all the way to lock it into "travel mode".

Ahhhh!:banghead:

Here is a close up of it rubbing the spare tire:

At this point I began to despair, and send off an email to the company that made the part. They wanted the measurements for my spare tire before making the part, but apparently they didn't add in enough clearance.

I then got to thinking and started googling.

I found a hitch extender that both would work, and also was in stock at my local U-Haul. :dance:

Even better, the U haul place was actually open!

Now I had to figure out how to secure it...

This setup requires 2 locking hitch bolts, one before and one after the hitch extender. Right now I only have one, so I guess I'm going to place an order for one of these: Strattec 7018440 - Strattec™ 5/8" Hitch Pin Lock for 93-13 Jeep® Vehicles - Quadratec

The grill itself had a little cotter pin that just screamed "steal me" as the only thing that keeps the grill from swinging open while driving.

I replaced it with a luggage lock:

I also wrapped one of the ignition-key cable locks that Q-tech sells around the grill unit and the spare tire. If someone wants to steal my grill they better have cable cutters with them.

It won't stop professionals, but it will prevent a beach bum from wandering off with my grill.

Here is the grill in "travel mode" (minus the luggage lock which I put on after taking this photo)

And here is is all folded out and ready to go:

Now I just have to buy meat and beer. :D

The entire grill unit weighs less then 100 lbs and can easily be assembled solo.

It's also short enough that it does not cover the third tail light, however I'm probably going to put some red reflective tape on it so that drivers can see it when I'm going around at night.

Hopefully this is useful to someone... Happy Jeeping all!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am a weber grill a holic...I have 5 or 6 at any given time.
The Q200 is prob my all around favorite and my tailgating grill as well. There isn't a better grill for searing steaks, mine will get 600* easy. I have the collapseable stand and rolling bag for mine. It should fit snugly on my new cargo carrier I just bought....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Now that is AWESOME. Great pics, excellent links and super explanation. LOVE IT. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I like that! I use a hitch-haul receiver type carrier, but that looks much better! One thing I have found from years of tailgating at NASCAR tracks... if you are out in the open, you may need some wind blockers to go around the grill. I use a small gas grill and the winds can cause issues... same was true for charcoal. Just a thought :)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Metal things that look like zip ties???????????????????

You mean HOSE CLAMPS???????

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
thanks for the write up!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Awesome!:thumb: Have you ever seen the Red Green Show. Reminds me of a skit they do on there. His are not as successful tho.:D

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
SPECTACULAR !!!!!! not only genius but useable, and looks well put together too !!!

A+ for setting this up and making it look good !!!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
The people on this forum never fail to amaze me, great job!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts