Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 Wrangler Sport 4.0 anutomatic threw this code today...P0161. Can anyone help me figure this out...I am a Jeep newbie and a girl. Is it something easy to fix?

·
Registered
581 Posts
We should get pics if we solve the problem, PG-13 or better.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
P0161 (M) 2/2 O2 Sensor Heater Failure Oxygen sensor heater element malfunction.

Bank 2 (Cylinders 4,5,6 - the 3 towards the rear) Downstream sensor. This will be the sensor after the pre-cat furthest downstream on the exhaust. Crawl under and you can see it easily. Easy fix.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay so if I can do this myself...I need to know what part to buy and where to put it. Sorry, I am just learning this stuff...but would like to fix it myself. Does anyone have a picture or diagram of where this is?

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Im sure you could find it easily with a search on here or Google. Both the diagram and part. Since your code is 2/2, that means you have a "Cali" emissions model (me too) that has 4 sensors instead of 2. You should be able to get the new sensor at any auto parts store. Most recommend staying away from Bosch brand. If I could post a vid on here it'd be easy to show you, you can easily do this yourself.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are all the sensors the same? I looked online and saw so many...grrrrr I just want to get the right part and stick it where it needs to go. :)

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
OK... I will use the pic as a reference.....

This pic is oriented as if you were standing at the pass side headlight.

The right upper part is BANK 1 for cylinders 1,2,3 (front 3 cylinders of engine)..... the left upper is BANK 2, cylinders 4,5,6 (rear 3 cylinders of engine)

See those two little protrusions in the pipe just a bit below the pre-cats ( where the pipe gets smaller out from the pre-cats)? Those are the locations of (2) of your O2 sensors . The one on the left is BANK 2 SENSOR 2 ( the one you need ) and the right one is BANK 1 SENSOR 2.

The other two sensors are in the manifold where the flanges in the pic above bolt to your exhaust manifold. They are BANK 1, SENSOR 1 and BANK 2, SENSOR 1 respectively.

When you go to the auto parts store, they may ask FRONT OR REAR or UPSTREAM OR DOWNSTREAM sensor.....

You need a REAR (DOWNSTREAM) O2 sensor..... BANK 2 SENSOR 2

If you crawl under your drivers side door, find the exhaust pipe and follow it up to the location of the O2 sensor... REMEMBER... you need the REAR ONE, closest to the driver ....use the pic above to give you an idea of what and where to look...
I hope this helps

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you very much, luckily I have access to a garage...so going to attempt it on my own. I know some people think women are not capable individuals when it comes to vehicle repair...but I have always tried to learn things and not become dependent on a mechanic. The only other thing I will need to know is...will removing the batterry cable erase or reset the code. I ask because my Bday is in a few weeks and need to allow mileage for reset so I will pass. I do appreciate the willingness of people on this forum like yourself to show us newbie jeep ladies the ropes. I love my Jeep as much as any guy...:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
i know kinda old post but i had the same code come up....autozone told me same thing oxygen sensor 2...but he also said the massive crack in my manifold(lol) could be causing it too ....well come to find out to day when i started taking the air breather off to swap out manifolds there was a hose unhooked from the back of the breather ...plugged it in check eng light went off

1 - 12 of 12 Posts