Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's almost that time.

In the mornings, on my cold cranks, I can hear the chattering of the lifters. Pretty bad now. Used to be, they would quiet down after a few minutes. As it is now, I have to turn off the engine, wait about 10 seconds, then fire it back up. On this 2nd attempt, everything is a lot quieter, but I can still hear the clattering, if I listen closer to the engine.

I'm at 199,3xx, so I figure maybe it's time to consider replacing the engine. I got 6,000 miles out of it since last September, so I'm not complaining.

I have always liked the Chevy small block 305.
I know, I know, I am going to get bashed by a lot of folks that are going to tell me that if I am swapping out to a V8, I might as well go with the 350.

Before y'all start, let me explain ...
I am satisfied with the power of the 4.0, just the way it is.
If the engine wasn't having its problem, I wouldn't be even thinking of doing something with it.

I wouldn't mind having a little more power, but just a little more.
For my driving needs, I am not a speed demon.

I used to have a Camaro that ran the 305.
Never had a problem with it. Enjoyed the power of a V8 that wasn't a huge V8.

I could see harnessing that power in my jeep, without having to go to the 350.

If you really think I should go with a 350, tell me why, but not something like, "Because it's a 350", or "Because everyone is dropping in a 350".
Explain why, please.

If I were to decide to do the 305 swap, I figure I would also need to change out the tranny with a 700R4 tranny. (My trans is an auto.)

I'd probably also need a NOVAK adapter to make the transfer case adapt to it.

THE QUESTIONS -

What about the wiring?
I don't want the jeep to be "rigged" when the swap is complete.
By rigged, I mean I don't want to have to throw a switch to make the tranny go into high gear, etc.
I want the jeep to operate "as usual" when the swap is done.

What sensors will have to be added, because of the swap?

I know that I'll have to most likely change (or fab) motor mounts.

What else am I not thinking of?

BOTTOM LINE -

The only swap I think I would want to do is the 305.

Am I better off just dropping another 4.0 back into my jeep?
(I am not getting rid of the jeep.)

If I decided to drop another 4.0 into my jeep, what are your opinions about that? Reman, rebuilt, new?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Since you are satisfied with the 4.0s power you should just install a reman long block. I doubt you will realize any gains from the 305 versus 4.0. That engine is kind of a dog.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... you should just install a reman long block ...
Is there such thing as a Jeep 4.0L SHORT BLOCK?

I ask because, if there is, I would need to determine which one I have, in order to drop in the correct block.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
you want a long block. The short block is just missing a few parts that you have to add or scavage off of your old block.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about my other questions?

If I were to go with the smaller V8 (or the 350), would it be a "rigged" job?
What else would I be looking at, in addition to what was mentioned in post #1?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I would not do a 305. Not much of a gain in either the HP or the torque. I have rolled this around as well, I am leaning towards picking up a Grand Cherokee and swapping the V8, or buying one of our miled out Chargers and rebuilding the Hemi and dropping in.

Lastly, I am also considering a Golan Stroker as mentioned above.

But, in all reality I am completely happy with the 4.0 and 4.10's... so I ain't really doing anything till I gotta.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
you want a long block. The short block is just missing a few parts that you have to add or scavage off of your old block.
A Short Block is just that, Block, Crank, Rods, Pistons, Cam/Chain/lifters

No Head

My Jeep isn't far behind yours, I have close to 280,000, When the time comes, go to Carparts.com and choose your poison, lots, lots cheaper.

I would like to run my jeep to 400,000

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A Short Block is just that, Block, Crank, Rods, Pistons, Cam/Chain/lifters

No Head ...
I thought that calling it a short or long block was describing the physical feature of the block. Just goes to show how much I DON'T know.

... I would like to run my jeep to 400,000
I would, too.
But I don't think it's going to let me go that far.

I have no idea how good or bad the PO took care of the jeep.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
The fact of the matter is, no one is swapping in a 350. everyone is swapping in 4.8s, 5.3s, and 6.0s. Then youve got the ls1,2,3.

If you want to go V8, and youre gong to drop the money for it, id laugh if you swapped in a 350.

Now, what do i suggest?

Wait. what do I mean? Hows your oil pressure look? If thats fine, i wouldnt worry too too much about your engine going kaput.

go buy a 4.0 and replace your 4.0.

Upon further reading, It looks like youre set on a V8 swap.

Get the harness done by someone who knows what they're doing.. That way you wont have to "throw a switch to make your trans go into high gear"

first, the gen III motors have a hell of a lot more power, are more efficent, and have a bigger supply for aftermarket supplies.

Second, I believe Houston (correct me if I'm wrong) has emissions checks.
To be legal with a 305 swap, you'd have to find a 305 from a vehicle that is the same, or newer car. That way you aren't putting out more pollutants than you were before.

·
Registered
831 Posts
When I'm off roading I always hear, "I need more lift/bigger tires/a winch/a bottle opener", but never hear anyone say they need more power from their TJ. I'm talking guys with 35's, 37's.

I know nothing rumbles so musically like a V8 and it sure looks cool under the hood. If that's what you want and the hassle is worth it, get a one. I think you would be happy with a fresh 4.0 and you could swap in a long block over a weekend.

·
Registered
167 Posts
When I'm off roading I always hear, "I need more lift/bigger tires/a winch/a bottle opener", but never hear anyone say they need more power from their TJ. I'm talking guys with 35's, 37's. I know nothing rumbles so musically like a V8 and it sure looks cool under the hood. If that's what you want and the hassle is worth it, get a one. I think you would be happy with a fresh 4.0 and you could swap in a long block over a weekend.
If there is no noise coming from the bottom end, why not just pull the head, rebuild and throw in a new cam and timing set.

·
Super Moderator
7,746 Posts
Why not rebuild the 4.0L you have? I mean soup to nuts and make the mods to that engine to get more power out of it? It will take a bit of time but you'll have a good solid engine when you're done.

Honestly with close to 200K on the engine redoing the top end and leaving the bottom end alone is doing half the job. There's always the risk of something in the bottom end of the engine letting go. You can even punch it out when you do the block over and get some extra HP out of it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
what about a Cummins 4bt? if you want to have an amazing engine with low end torque, that is the one to go for. i have looked into the swap and the cost is around 5K. if you had the heavier manual trans that came in the jeep (amx-15?) you would not need a new tranny...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
If you had a 4 cylinder and wanted more power, a TPI out of an IROC Z would be cool but I have to agree with the others, since you already have a 4.0, I don't think you could do much better other than to rebuild or replace what you have when the time comes. It will also be alot cheaper and if you have problems later on, stock is always easier to get parts for.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks.
Y'all make a lot of valid points as to why I should stay with a 4.0.

·
Registered
831 Posts
If there is no noise coming from the bottom end, why not just pull the head, rebuild and throw in a new cam and timing set.
Really? Rebuild half an engine and see how long that great idea lasts.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
... In the mornings, on my cold cranks, I can hear the chattering of the lifters. Pretty bad now. Used to be, they would quiet down after a few minutes. As it is now, I have to turn off the engine, wait about 10 seconds, then fire it back up. On this 2nd attempt, everything is a lot quieter, but I can still hear the clattering, if I listen closer to the engine...
For the time being, until I do something with my engine, what would you recommend that I add to my oil to help my engine's lifters on those cold starts?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I've been adding a bottle of STP to my 00 for about the last 30K miles at every oil change. It has 196K now. Been doing it on my son's 97 ever since we bought it. Was 160 something then and about 173 now.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts