Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fenders are a very patchy gray/light gray. They are factory. Any suggestions on a upgrade? Or can they be painted?

I have a 98 Sport. Stock suspension. Currently 30x9.5x15 tires, but will upgrade to 31x10.5x15 in the very near future.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Painted mine with bumper paint. It allows the flares to flex without the paint cracking. UR

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
no paint necessary tourch or better yet heat gun..... just dont bubble your paint or melt the turn signal

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Yea, no blow torch. Heat gun.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Krylon Fusion black gloss spray paint is what I used on mine. Didn't even take them off, just taped off the edges and turn signals then painted. Its been six months and looks good as the day I did it.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I leave mine faded just like my hair and beard.

·
Registered
386 Posts
-Wash them thoroughly with soap and water
-Once dry rough them up with some Scotch Brite pads so the paint can adhere
-Either take them off or leave them on
-If you left them on tape off your rig where you don't want paint
-paint with Krylon Fusion

Remember: Do several light coats with 5-10 minutes between coats
After the first coat you should still be able to see the faded color underneath

- give them 3-4 coats and allow them as much time as you can to dry before driving with them on

Remember: Depending on where you live you may need to take the weather into consideration. Paint is ideally applied/dried/cured in temperatures 65 and above. If it is cold it will take a long time to dry and may remain tacky for several days. If it is cold where you live do it inside a garage where you can keep it warm and maintain ventilation. If you live in warm climates year round, then screw you! haha just kidding

good luck

·
Registered
326 Posts
Krylon Fusion black gloss spray paint is what I used on mine. Didn't even take them off, just taped off the edges and turn signals then painted. Its been six months and looks good as the day I did it.
I did the same exact thing not quite six months ago. It has held up great, I've been very impressed. No cracking or peeling, even back by the filler where gas drips all the time. I definitely suggest Krylon Fusion. Took about a can and a half or so, if I recall.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
My fenders are a very patchy gray/light gray. They are factory. Any suggestions on a upgrade? Or can they be painted?

I have a 98 Sport. Stock suspension. Currently 30x9.5x15 tires, but will upgrade to 31x10.5x15 in the very near future.
Trim them before you paint them...... you'll be glad you did :)

I leave mine faded just like my hair and beard.
:rofl: Does that mean I should have made mine blond? :rofl: (no, last I looked I don't have a beard.....)

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
Before you take a blowtorch to your fenders...Quadratec sells a reconditioning kit called "Forever Black" which supposedly restores your plastic fenders. Haven't tried it myself but, I just ordered it and it should be on its way soon.

Here's a link for it:
Forever Black FB080 - Forever BLACK™ Cleaner & Reconditioner Combo - Quadratec

I have used this product (or something similar) lasted maybe 6 months on the flairs, however, my faded interior pieces are all nice and black again, just don't leave them out in the sun all day.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the tips, everybody.
That Forever Black looks good, but costs wise, is it better to just paint them?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts