Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

My fenders are faded...

5K views 44 replies 34 participants last post by  CJS98TJ 
#1 ·
My fenders are a very patchy gray/light gray. They are factory. Any suggestions on a upgrade? Or can they be painted?

I have a 98 Sport. Stock suspension. Currently 30x9.5x15 tires, but will upgrade to 31x10.5x15 in the very near future.

#11 ·
I did the same exact thing not quite six months ago. It has held up great, I've been very impressed. No cracking or peeling, even back by the filler where gas drips all the time. I definitely suggest Krylon Fusion. Took about a can and a half or so, if I recall.

#10 ·
-Wash them thoroughly with soap and water
-Once dry rough them up with some Scotch Brite pads so the paint can adhere
-Either take them off or leave them on
-If you left them on tape off your rig where you don't want paint
-paint with Krylon Fusion

Remember: Do several light coats with 5-10 minutes between coats
After the first coat you should still be able to see the faded color underneath

- give them 3-4 coats and allow them as much time as you can to dry before driving with them on

Remember: Depending on where you live you may need to take the weather into consideration. Paint is ideally applied/dried/cured in temperatures 65 and above. If it is cold it will take a long time to dry and may remain tacky for several days. If it is cold where you live do it inside a garage where you can keep it warm and maintain ventilation. If you live in warm climates year round, then screw you! haha just kidding

good luck

#17 ·
Before you take a blowtorch to your fenders...Quadratec sells a reconditioning kit called "Forever Black" which supposedly restores your plastic fenders. Haven't tried it myself but, I just ordered it and it should be on its way soon.

Here's a link for it:
Forever Black FB080 - Forever BLACK™ Cleaner & Reconditioner Combo - Quadratec

I have used this product (or something similar) lasted maybe 6 months on the flairs, however, my faded interior pieces are all nice and black again, just don't leave them out in the sun all day.

#21 ·
I would just paint them to be honest.
Look up on youtube how to use spray paint. sounds stupid-but some people do it wrong...

9-12 inches away from the object you're painting and you have to start spraying before you actually reach the object. Short, loose layers throughout. I took the time to research it and I think all my projects came out great... I've used the can enough to be comfortable...

painted my whole frame, gas tank skid, front and rear bumpers and my mirror mounts

#28 ·
I tell you all, There is a company called Eastwood Co. I really like top quality products and they are the best I have ever used. They have all the paint you could want and their spray paint goes a long way. Lots of pigments and the spray pattern is perfect.

#29 ·
McGuires has product for exterior trim in black container-$7-holds up for 4 / 5 months after couple of easy applications

There is also another product called "Restore It" used by detail and body shops-also very good

BUT-none of above = to a paint job of thats your wish

Good Luck with all the suggestions

whlr13

#31 ·
my vote goes to the krylon fusion satin black a buddy of mine and myself took mine off and washed them and then took a brillo pad to them, let them dry and then we painted. the only "hard" part about this is getting the rear flares off they were a real pain for us.
and like Phrankoff said you would be much happier if you make sure you do it 100% right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.