Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Finished the upper links by welding in the threaded inserts. Decided to rosette weld it as well. I need to redo a bit of my truss plating before I can finalize my mounts.

Reactions: jasonh28

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I've been talking with a guy and am going to pick up a late SM465 trans (bell housing, t-case adapter, and all) and possibly a BW4401 transfer case. Should be plenty stout for my needs.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I finally got everything mocked up to the point I could pull the rear out and fully weld it up. I got a good amount welded, but ran out of wire.

Upper spring plate (welded a threaded cap so that I can easily change bumpstop length.

Tacked in place

Good view of the overall truss/mount layout

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Picked up the SM465 today. Thing is beefy. Guy removed it from his truck because he got a bigger motor for his truck that came with a 5-speed. Got, what I think was, a killer deal. I'd been seeing them for $200-300 with no bellhousing, shifter, or t-case adapter. I got all for less than 2 bills and since it's from a '91 it has the hydraulic clutch bell and fork. I've got a few unexpected bills and wasn't able to get the t-case, but will probably get it when I get my tax return back this coming week.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Finished welding up the rear and spray bombed it.

Then tossed it back up in under the Jeep.

It's a bit to one side right now since I don't have one of the upper links in. It's sitting now on the stock coils and I like the height. Ive got to order two more bushings and rod ends before it will be in its final resting spot.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I cycled the suspension a bit and am having some clearance issues with the rear body mount/shock crossmember. Will probably cut it out and weld in a tubular crossmember for the body mounts. Also got to trim the back part of my upper mounts (that's what's hitting the crossmember). I have about 2.5"-3" of downtravel. Between those two things I hope to get to over 5" of downtravel.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well possible good news, depending on how you look at it.....

I pulled the timing cover and I believe the racket I was hearing was a wore timing chain instead of rod knock. First pic is just the chain at rest is me pushing it out with a small prybar. I'm going to pull the pan to make sure nothing is fishy in the bottom end. If all looks well I'll probably throw a new timing set and oil pump on just to be safe and go ahead and swap in the sm465.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Disregard that. I pulled the oil pan and have chunks of #3 piston scattered through the pan.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Either going to run the 5.7 Vortec (Gen II SBC based) that I currently have in my GMC Sonoma (it will be receiving a single turbo 4.8 LS swap when the TJ is "completed") or a 5.3 LS. I'm leaning toward the 5.7 since I already have almost everything to swap it and also the 350 will have more torque in the lower RPM.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Not a huge update but I sold my stock axles yesterday and am supposed to be selling the Ion wheels today. I just ordered an Artec Super Duty front axle swap from Fusion4x4. I decided on the 3 link model.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Since I'm going with a 3 link I wanted the upper link to be pretty beefy. I ordered some 2"x1/4" square tube for that duty. I also got an insert threaded for 1.25"-12. Ordered a Johnny Joint with a 3/4" head bolt for that. Also ordered a set of JK rear upper control arms. Since I'm using mainly bushings I got the whole arms for about the cost of the included bushings. The arms are just the right length to push the axle forward about 1.75".

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You guys are probably tired of seeing updates with no pics........but here's another. I traded the 18" Moto Metals for some stock Lariat wheels. I was going to use them, but I put a deposit on a set of 24 bolt H1 wheels and 60-70% 37s. I will be going to pick those up this Saturday. I also ordered a set of 2" adapter spacers to get me to a 5" backspace. I can't wait to get them mounted up, but I highly doubt the adapters will be here by Saturday. I've also got the front axle pretty much ready to pull out. I just have to unbolt the u-bolts and she'll be out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
After a 5 hour round trip I'm back home with these. I've got some 2" adapters ordered that will be in Monday to convert the 8x170mm axles to 8x6.5" wheels and also put me at a more manageable 5" backspace.

And just set up to give an idea of how it will look.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
On a bit of a holdup with the suspension. I've had the Artec swap truss ordered for a week from Fusion 4x4 and one of their shock mounts through summit racing for about 2 weeks. I called to check on the truss and Fusion estimates 3-4 weeks till ship. From what I've read Fusion is top notch stuff, but their speediness is horrid. Honestly I would have fabbed my own if I knew it was going to take this long. I plan on messing with pulling the drivetrain in the meantime.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I've been going back and forth on my rear truss. It's making it very hard to keep LCG. I have decided to cut everything off except the narrow tubing. I will add lower sitting mounts to it and gusset the crap out of it at the axle tubes. I will also probably add a short area of half sleeve (2.25 OD x 1/4") where I weld the mounts since the tubing is only 1.75" x 3/16". Going this route will clear add about 3" of up travel and should allow me to run stock springs.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I got my wheel spacers in and mounted up. Seeing them mounted just reinforces my decision to redo my truss and drop it down some. I also got the t-case pulled off and got the engine/tranny ready to come out. All the other 4wd trannies I had messed with were sealed on the back (mainly Ford). So I wasn't expecting the mess I made when I separated the two. I now have a nice puddle of tranny fluid (actually gear oil) under the Jeep.

Also the rear looks a bit shifted as apparently I chocked the left front up higher and it has the body flexed toward the right side. Overall I'm very happy with the track width now.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Despite the mess that was the quickest engine pull I've ever done. I've got about 3 hours from start to done. Luckily it was a 4-banger. If I had the 4.0 I definitely would have had to remove the grille. I'm not sure if the V8 will go in with it in or not. I think if I remove the radiator I will be able to squeeze it in.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Not a huge update, but I got the front axle pulled out this evening. From what I've heard Artec might possibly have my truss to me in the next 3 weeks or so. I suppose I'll start cutting stock brackets off the axle in preparation for welding the truss on. I'm taking a half day off work tomorrow and will have about 5-6 hours to work before the wife gets home. I'll probably work on pulling the 350 out from the truck.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I got the old truss cut out and got my new "mini" trusses and link mounts welded in. I am super happy with the stance now. It has stock springs, but with the thicker axle tubes and relocated upper cool buckets in guessing it equates to about a 2.5" lift. I also removed the rear hitch and bumper. I will probably run a plate style bumper. Tomorrow I plan on trying to get the motor pulled from the truck.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts