Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I guess this must happen to everyone (throw me some crumbs here)?

4 months ago I made an impulse/panic purchase and fitted Mickey Thompson MTZ's on my TJ. Slightly embarrassed to say because they looked cool....

Dawned on me pretty quickly I'd done the wrong thing. I'm sure they would be amazing off road, but they are way too aggressive for my use which is mainly on road. This weekend we had a 600 mile round trip camping trip and I was really not looking forward to all those highway miles on a mud tyre so I faced up to it and replaced them with new BFG All-Terrains. Expensive mistake but worth it because my Jeep is improved beyond all recognition how it drives on the road!

Hopefully I'll get something for the MT's on EBay but a lesson learned!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well said...
I bought my Wrangler with Super Swampers and they are atrocious on the road.
When the time comes to replace them, I'm leaning toward some good all-terrains.
JJ

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
I use to daily drive tsl's!

·
Registered
230 Posts
My mistake was putting a 27 spline locker In a Dana 35 next came new shafts and now I'm going to just buried the axle with the past and get a Dana 44 and build it right

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm sure it will happen with my TJ build, but it happened a number of times on my CJ. Axles, transmissions, lifts, and tires were ALL repeated purchases!

For me, the key learnings were patience, patience, patience, and cheap parts are cheap parts. Take your time, clarify your objectives for the Jeep, and spending more money once is usually much cheaper in the long run.

David

·
Registered
77 Posts
You can not let one mistake get you down, just learn what you can from it and move on. Tires are expensive but look on the bright side. They do not take long to put on. Now when you do something like weld the mounting brackets on a rear end then decide that the pinion angle is not quite what you want. Then you can feel bad.

I would probably keep the tires and find a set of wheels to put them on for when you do go off road.

Best of luck

Jeremy

·
Registered
52 Posts
Take your time, clarify your objectives for the Jeep, and spending more money once is usually much cheaper in the long run.
Just for clarification...
I've had a few parts replaced (water pump, hoses, etc...) with O'Reilly Auto Parts parts.
I'm assuming that's not a deal for normal stuff (maybe splurge on the hardcore bits).
Where would you stop getting stuff there and start getting from somewhere else?
JJ

·
Registered
62 Posts
[QUOTE="jsuggs;4012494"I would probably keep the tires and find a set of wheels to put them on for when you do go off road.

Best of luck

Jeremy[/QUOTE]

Good call Jeremy. Or the sale could fund the next mod. Jeremy's right, don't let it knock you back. Learn from it, and beware of the "impulse".

·
Detail Oriented
3,172 Posts
I agree with Jeremy. If you can in any way absorb the cost of the new-new tires and do not absolutely need to sell the old-new tires then SAVE THEM. Get a set of cheap Cragar Soft8 rims, get them mounted and balanced by some pros. Swap wheels when you *do* go wheeling.

I have a friend who actually rents his mudding set out for cheap. He swaps them out for you, too.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I agree with Jeremy. If you can in any way absorb the cost of the new-new tires and do not absolutely need to sell the old-new tires then SAVE THEM. Get a set of cheap Cragar Soft8 rims, get them mounted and balanced by some pros. Swap wheels when you *do* go wheeling.

I have a friend who actually rents his mudding set out for cheap. He swaps them out for you, too.
I agree. Don't take that hit. Use that money for the rims. It really is the way to go. I used to have two sets, larger At's and smaller MT's. I did a major downsizing on the jeep cache of accessories (hard top hard doors and the larger ATs)

Now I am reluctant to take it on longer trips, largely because of wearing out the MT's.

You are in a good position if the second set is not out-of-the-question for some reason. Perhaps you are not going to wheel it?

·
Registered
755 Posts
My biggest mistake was my first lift kit. I went with a 2.5" kit; I was justifying that with some LCG nonsense. I was also kidding myself that I would't need the SYE/DCDS combo. I did'nt have vibes, but I quickly realized how the stock skid with drop is hugely prohibitive and retarded looking. After the driveline upgrade and tummy tuck I went up to a 4" spring lift; largely to avoid track bar clearance issues.

I am still using the 2.5" disconnects, rear sway-control bar links, and the front springs with ACO's; so it wasn't a total waste.

That is why I try to tell noobs to do the driveline mods and tummy tuck first. People love the looks of a beefed up jeep, then buy one, then start building it backwards. The SYE and DCDS can't be seen, so tires, wheels and other things are much more attractive mods, at first.

To me, a bad ass jeep loses all of its points if it has the stamped steel diaper still sitting under it.

·
Detail Oriented
3,172 Posts
To me, a bad ass jeep loses all of its points if it has the stamped steel diaper still sitting under it.
Wrangler Forum Quote of the Day, July 28, 2013 :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts