Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had the Rock Lobster 2013 Sport for all of 2 days, I was at the cell phone parking lot at the airport waiting for a call from my daughters when I saw a Honda Pilot stuck in the mud in a field a few hundred yards away. A few minutes later 2 kids walked up and asked "Mister, is that your Jeep? Can you pull us out?" These kids walked past many pick-ups, 4Runners, etc. I felt bad because I don't have any tow straps, but now I know...
1. If you drive a Honda anything, stick to the pavement.
2. I need to order some tow straps so I can be a good Samaritan
3. I love owning a Jeep, should have done this years ago.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Welcome to the club!

That's what happens when you become a Jeeper!
:dance:

·
Registered
414 Posts
So I've had the Rock Lobster 2013 Sport for all of 2 days, I was at the cell phone parking lot at the airport waiting for a call from my daughters when I saw a Honda Pilot stuck in the mud in a field a few hundred yards away. A few minutes later 2 kids walked up and asked "Mister, is that your Jeep? Can you pull us out?" These kids walked past many pick-ups, 4Runners, etc. I felt bad because I don't have any tow straps, but now I know...
1. If you drive a Honda anything, stick to the pavement.
2. I need to order some tow straps so I can be a good Samaritan
3. I love owning a Jeep, should have done this years ago.
Yeah, that is what happens when you let teenagers drive anything with 4wd. "Dude! Look at that puddle over there!"

Oh, and that is quite common when you drive a jeep. Last winter my wife came home and told me there was a guy who was stuck in the snow a couple blocks away and asked me if I could pull him out since I have a winch. I took my wife and son out to check on the guy. We ended up pushing him out by hand. Wife wanted to know why I didn't use the winch. Told her it took 2 minutes to push him out. The entire winching process would have been 10-15 minutes at least. I also had a tow strap that we didn't use. It wasn't like he was off the road in a ditch. He was just hung up in heavy snow trying to turn a corner.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Get a "snatch" strap. They are THE type of strap to be using in a recovery situation. tow straps are just for towing. NEVER use a strap with hooks on them for recovering other vehicles. I bought my snatch strap at Tractor Supply for like $20-30. I believe I got around a 20k lb rated strap. The key is to match the weight capacity of the strap to the weight of vehicle you are pulling. Too big of a strap on a small vehicle and you might as well use a tow strap anyway. They stretch to allow you to gas it and use your momentum to "snatch" them out. You will need a pair of shackles too. Make a world of a difference when recovering.

·
Registered
576 Posts
But then again, what if you yank their bumper off... I might be worried about being liable. Might want to make a quick contract and keep it in your Jeep. Just something that would waive your liability in the event of an accident.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the towing advice, that's why I joined this forum, I know a ton about car stereos, but the Jeep life is new, I'm a teacher but also an excellent learner.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome! Make sure you go topless. Nothing like running around without the tops!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts