Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 163 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
I'm going to be doing the same mod for my bumper, except I may use Amber so I can run them when driving in blizzards.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
bit of an update, i installed 4.88 yukon gears and detroit true-trac in the rear axle of my jku last weekend.

i also painted it with rustoleum hammered silver paint and rust reformer as primer.

the front will get done next weekend with a true-trac as well.

spent roughly $300 on tools that i will have for a long time, vs paying $1200 to have someone else do it.

i love having the satisfaction that i have installed everything on my jeep myself (with help from friends and family) :bop:

·
Registered
343 Posts
i want rear lights like those, any more info on them you can share? bad ass rig btw! i wish i had the ability to install my own gears

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
i want rear lights like those, any more info on them you can share? bad ass rig btw! i wish i had the ability to install my own gears
Thanks Durango!

as for installing the gears, i would say 90% of it is having the right tools for the job, and it takes A LOT of tools! but if you have the tools, its fairly straight forward.

the lights were just some 24W flush mount lights i bought on ebay for around $25. i made a cardboard template that fit the back of the lights, traced the template on the bumper where they would fit and cut out the hole with a rotozip bit in my dremel.

to mount the lights, ace hardware had a kinda nutsert thing, that when tightened down, compressed on the plastic of the bumper so there is no need to hold anything from the back side of the bumper when bolting the lights in.

for the wire routing, i drilled a hole near the license plate area and fed the wires up behind the tail light and into the cabin where the wire loom is. wired them up to one of the 4 switches on my a-pillar.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
another update on the jeep build.

added a bit more personality to her :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks Durango!

as for installing the gears, i would say 90% of it is having the right tools for the job, and it takes A LOT of tools! but if you have the tools, its fairly straight forward.

the lights were just some 24W flush mount lights i bought on ebay for around $25. i made a cardboard template that fit the back of the lights, traced the template on the bumper where they would fit and cut out the hole with a rotozip bit in my dremel.

to mount the lights, ace hardware had a kinda nutsert thing, that when tightened down, compressed on the plastic of the bumper so there is no need to hold anything from the back side of the bumper when bolting the lights in.

for the wire routing, i drilled a hole near the license plate area and fed the wires up behind the tail light and into the cabin where the wire loom is. wired them up to one of the 4 switches on my a-pillar.
thanks for the info! I'm going to attempt this mod soon. i need some lighting behind my Jeep at night when fishing at night on the drive on beach.

as for the gears, i don't have the right tools for sure haha, are there any tools you need specifically for that job? also, do you get any gear whine? I've heard having the proper backlash setting is important to avoid damaging the gears.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
thanks for the info! I'm going to attempt this mod soon. i need some lighting behind my Jeep at night when fishing at night on the drive on beach.

as for the gears, i don't have the right tools for sure haha, are there any tools you need specifically for that job? also, do you get any gear whine? I've heard having the proper backlash setting is important to avoid damaging the gears.
definitely some special tools required to do a gear change. i had to buy a 20 ton shop press, magnetic base dial indicator, 3/4" socket set and a large bearing separator.

the gears made just a little noise at first, but they are nice and quiet now.

you need to make sure you have the proper backlash on the gears, but the pattern is equally as important. if the pattern is not good, you can easily break off teeth. you also need to be able to put the correct preload on the carrier bearings so they dont fail early. its not for everyone.

·
Registered
343 Posts
definitely some special tools required to do a gear change. i had to buy a 20 ton shop press, magnetic base dial indicator, 3/4" socket set and a large bearing separator.

the gears made just a little noise at first, but they are nice and quiet now.

you need to make sure you have the proper backlash on the gears, but the pattern is equally as important. if the pattern is not good, you can easily break off teeth. you also need to be able to put the correct preload on the carrier bearings so they dont fail early. its not for everyone.
I have a friend who's very mechanically inclined, but he said he's not comfortable doing gears in my Jeep since he's never done a ring and pinion swap in any Dana rear. Guess ill be saving my pennies to have it done professionally :(

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
got my cowl scoop in the mail today :bop:

i think im going to redo it with 3m tape ALL the way around it though. it didnt have tape in the corner, so there is a little light showing through that's bugging me.

i need to put another coat of plastidip on the grill, one of the slots has some silver showing through. i guess one coat wasnt enough on the grill. :doh2:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
oh, and on a side note, the e autogrills flaties are strong enough to support my big ol 265lb's standing on them! :D

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
got the teraflex big rotor kit for the front of my jeep installed this weekend. took less time to do the swap than my friend going to town to pick up pizza!:bop:

the improvement in braking is amazing! i can actually stop the jeep in a reasonable distance now. makes me feel a lot safer knowing that i can actually bring the jeep to a quick stop if needed now.

i will do the back eventually, but even having just the front have helped tremendously!

Reactions: WillB and aqualungs

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
got the hellwig 7706 rear sway bar in the mail.

here you can see the size difference

went for a little test drive, and the ride is nice! my jku corners MUCH flatter, and the wobble/bobble head effect is reduced a bit (what i was going for).

the stiffer sway bar has the rear of the jeep following the dips a bit more, but the wobble is reduced on the rebound of them, so it almost evens out, yet still gives a slight edge to reducing the wobble.

however, the flat cornering is what is really noticeable! the steering just feels better with this sway bar.

it just feels like the sway bars are a better match for each other than before.

a good $135 upgrade.

Reactions: aqualungs

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
got the hellwig 7706 rear sway bar in the mail.

here you can see the size difference

went for a little test drive, and the ride is nice! my jku corners MUCH flatter, and the wobble/bobble head effect is reduced a bit (what i was going for).

the stiffer sway bar has the rear of the jeep following the dips a bit more, but the wobble is reduced on the rebound of them, so it almost evens out, yet still gives a slight edge to reducing the wobble.

however, the flat cornering is what is really noticeable! the steering just feels better with this sway bar.

it just feels like the sway bars are a better match for each other than before.

a good $135 upgrade.

After driving from Cleveland to Denver I am looking at one of these. There were times the wind was ridiculous and got blown around a bit. I heard this helps. How was the install? I brought all my tools lol... if only Northridge carried them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
After driving from Cleveland to Denver I am looking at one of these. There were times the wind was ridiculous and got blown around a bit. I heard this helps. How was the install? I brought all my tools lol... if only Northridge carried them

the install wasnt too bad, i didnt even take the tires off.

i do have the flowmaster exhaust that routes over the sway bar, so it was pretty easy. the hardest part, was that i had to ream out the holes in the bar with a 1/2" drill bit so the bolts that came with my links would slide in. took me about 30-45 minutes to do.

just a heads up, blast the bolts through the frame opening with pb blaster a couple days ahead of time or they might break.

the wind didnt really bother my jeep before, so im not sure i'll be a good judge for how it helps with the wind. i drive a E350 van with a utility box for work that acts like a sail, so my jeep drives like a car comparatively.

best price i found it for was on here

Hellwig 7706 7706 Rear Sway Bar | eBay

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
I never experienced winds like this until this drive. So I was shocked when I had to hold the steering wheel so far right lol. It wasn't horrible, but could be better. Only thing I don't have with me is a drill lol. Before my next road trip, this will be going on

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I never experienced winds like this until this drive. So I was shocked when I had to hold the steering wheel so far right lol. It wasn't horrible, but could be better. Only thing I don't have with me is a drill lol. Before my next road trip, this will be going on

hopefully it will help out with the cross winds for you.

i can say the worst wind i have encountered was on my motorcycle. i was on a road that was curving to the right a fairly good amount, but i had to lean over to the left to turn to the right! and this was on the ride home from picking up the bike at the dealer, so i was on fresh, slippery tires too!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Your rig is becoming one of my favorites on the forum, nice progress! It cracks me up that this is your build on a so called "budget" and you've already done all the upgrades that I've wanted to do in the past 4 years in a way shorter time frame :punk:

Reactions: schackattack

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Your rig is becoming one of my favorites on the forum, nice progress! It cracks me up that this is your build on a so called "budget" and you've already done all the upgrades that I've wanted to do in the past 4 years in a way shorter time frame :punk:

Thanks durango!

any time i get some extra cash, im always looking for what i want to do next. i think the visual aspect is almost complete, i just need a hd tire carrier and spare tire to complete the look.

i knew how i wanted my jku to look/work, so i just went after it.

last time i actually counted it all up, i had about $6500 in mods, so im probably closer to $7000 right now. but i see rigs that have $20,000 invested in them, so thats why i call this my budget build in comparison.

but i can still add up in my head about $3500 of things i still need/want to get. :D

(the hemi swap is still a ways off) :thumb:

Reactions: u_konreaper

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
gear swap DONE!

my gears are finally done! i got home early on Wednesday and i was feeling froggy, so i decided i was going to tackle the gear swap in the front axle.

this is the pattern i got in the front. (really happy with it!)

drive side

coast side

i let the axle dry from wednseday night till thursday night when i re assembled it

check out my custom paint stand! (dont mind the mess that is my garage)

here are a couple pictures testing out the 4wd tonight :D

decent picture of the axle

41 - 60 of 163 Posts