Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
First I want to say thank you to the people who make this forum possible, it is an amazing resource for newbies like me!

I bought my first Jeep yesterday evening and I have a multitude of questions about it. It is a 2001 Wrangler with the 60th Anniversary package which from what I've read on here basically got me so nifty badging and more importantly upgraded the rear axle to a 44 and the front to a 35. I'm going to try to break my questions into sections...hopefully that'll make it easier.

The Jeep has 4 inches of suspension lift, 3 inches of body lift and 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2 tires.

Question 1) I am not a fan of body lift...especially one that big. If I take the body lift off will my tires rub or have any other problems? Anybody have any tips/tricks/writeups on removing the lift?

The transmission grinds pretty bad going from 1st to 2nd, also from 2nd back to 1st sometimes. It won't stay in 5th gear and it slipped out of 4th once. I bought this thing with the understanding that it needs trans work up to and including a full rebuild.

Question 2) Anybody else had these problems and happen to know of any troubleshooting tips or easy fixes?

The engine seems to run very strong (130k miles) but I frequently hear this unbelievably high pitched and irritating squeal. The previous owner explained that the noise was caused by the cold air intake he had put on. The motor also has an Edge programmer and I think it has a throttle body spacer.

Question 3) Ideas on the squeal? Could it be the cold air intake? Is the intake a good thing?
Question 4) Anybody have thoughts on the Edge programmer? Good/bad? If I need to remove it...how?
Question 5) What is the throttle body spacer about? Good/bad?

The front tires are totally spent and the rears are brand new. I'm planning to go buy two new ones.

Question 6) Any thoughts on Dynabeads for balancing?

The previous owner told me that the blower motor for the heater and a/c doesn't work. It sure enough doesn't!

Question 7) Any troubleshooting tips here? I read something about a resistor on a switch or something but didn't understand it. Any writeups on doing this job?

Sorry for all the questions guys, thanks so much for your help. I've been reading forums all morning this morning and I'm sure there are answers to some of my questions that are already out there, please forgive my excitement to post and be a pal and link me to the right place. I can't wait to dig into this thing and be able to give advice in the near future and not just be a sponge!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Welcome aboard.
GREAT looking rig!!!
I dont know anything about lifts. I dont have one. I personally dont need one for my uses.
I loved my TJ....got me hooked.
Sorry I cant be of more technical assistance on your questions.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
You don't have a D35 front. You have a D30 Front.

Cold Air intakes do make an annoying noise. Pull a stock one from a pick and pull.

I say, if your mechanically capable, remove the 3" BL and drop down to a 33" tire. I highly doubt that your TJ was really set up to run 35" tires. I could be wrong, but judging by the other mods.....

As for the tranny, drop the fluid and refill it with fresh tranny oil. That's where I would start.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Nice looking rig. Mine is the 70th year model. I tried the balancing beads on a new set of goodyears and it was so bad we had to dismount and remove the beads, then computer balance the tires anyway so I wouldn't mess with them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice looking rig. Mine is the 70th year model. I tried the balancing beads on a new set of goodyears and it was so bad we had to dismount and remove the beads, then computer balance the tires anyway so I wouldn't mess with them.
Good to know! Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You don't have a D35 front. You have a D30 Front.

Cold Air intakes do make an annoying noise. Pull a stock one from a pick and pull.

I say, if your mechanically capable, remove the 3" BL and drop down to a 33" tire. I highly doubt that your TJ was really set up to run 35" tires. I could be wrong, but judging by the other mods.....

As for the tranny, drop the fluid and refill it with fresh tranny oil. That's where I would start.
Thanks for the quick response!

No advantage to the cold air intake?

I am mechanically able (or at least I think I am!) but I was really hoping to stay with the 35's. When you say "not set up to run 35" tires" what components are you referring to? I don't have lockers so shouldn't the axles be pretty safe unless I get stupid? Will the 35's fit with just the suspension lift?

Fluid can cause the grinding?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The high pitched squeal could just be a loose or worn belt. I would change them just because.
Check, it's on the list. Thanks. I don't think it is the belt but...it's an easy and cheap job to do, it'll be good to know i've got a good belt.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Good looking rig. I'm not a fan of body lifts but yours doesn't look bad in the photo. Changing the tranny fluid is a good start for the shifting problem.

I also have a 01, what's a anniversary package?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good looking rig. I'm not a fan of body lifts but yours doesn't look bad in the photo. Changing the tranny fluid is a good start for the shifting problem.

I also have a 01, what's a anniversary package?
Thanks, I don't think it really looks bad but...I don't like them. The blocks are already starting to look a little "tilted" or out of whack. I think a 1" body lift is okay because you really can't tell but 3" is too much for me.

Anniversary package was evidently an option that give a dana 44 rear axle and some other more 'fluffy' options like badging. I saw some people compare it to the Sahara package but with some extra 'standard' options.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
jdl_131 said:
Thanks for the quick response!

No advantage to the cold air intake?

I am mechanically able (or at least I think I am!) but I was really hoping to stay with the 35's. When you say "not set up to run 35" tires" what components are you referring to? I don't have lockers so shouldn't the axles be pretty safe unless I get stupid? Will the 35's fit with just the suspension lift?

Fluid can cause the grinding?
No advantage to the cold air intake. The stock set up can flow more air than the engine needs.

35" tires require steering modifications as well as larger brakes. Unless your jeep does have those items. You'd have to crawl underneath. Your programmer is also a paper weight. You can leave it on, but it isn't doing much.

Also, 7" of lift is completely unnecessary for 35" tires. If you replace that 3" BL with a 1-1.25" BL, you'd probably be much happier. She would be more stable on the road as well as on the trail.

Also, she sure is pretty. Even more reason to set her up nicely.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I figured out at least one cause that the blower motor wasnt working!! I watched a youtube video on the resistor and thought, hmm that seems easy I'll start there. After watching the video about a dozen times and still not being able to find the flipping resistor I realized that somebody had already taken the resistor out! It was just totally missing. The wiring harness for it was there though and it was partially melted...not good.

Anybody know where I can buy a connector to fit the new resistor? Any thoughts on why the connector would have melted?? Ideas on something else I should check in the meantime so I don't risk frying another resistor as soon as I put it in...or worse, start a fire?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I was under the dash looking for the resistor I also found a connector that wasn't going to anything. Anybody have any thought where this could go?

One purple wire and one blue wire. Mine was under the glovebox.

·
Registered
195 Posts
As the blower motor gets old the bearings wear and causes it to draw too many amps. The factory wires are too small to handle the amps and it melts the wires and connectors. This is a common problem with models around 2000.
You may have to get the connector at a wrecking yard, I think you have to buy the whole harness from the dealer. There is a relay mod that people do where you add relays to the wires that go to the fan switch, I don't know if there is a write-up on this forum.
You can replace the motor and it would last you for awhile.
The plug in your last picture is for the light under the dash I think.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
jdl_131 said:
Hey all,
First I want to say thank you to the people who make this forum possible, it is an amazing resource for newbies like me!

I bought my first Jeep yesterday evening and I have a multitude of questions about it. It is a 2001 Wrangler with the 60th Anniversary package which from what I've read on here basically got me so nifty badging and more importantly upgraded the rear axle to a 44 and the front to a 35. I'm going to try to break my questions into sections...hopefully that'll make it easier.

The Jeep has 4 inches of suspension lift, 3 inches of body lift and 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2 tires.

Question 1) I am not a fan of body lift...especially one that big. If I take the body lift off will my tires rub or have any other problems? Anybody have any tips/tricks/writeups on removing the lift?

The transmission grinds pretty bad going from 1st to 2nd, also from 2nd back to 1st sometimes. It won't stay in 5th gear and it slipped out of 4th once. I bought this thing with the understanding that it needs trans work up to and including a full rebuild.

Question 2) Anybody else had these problems and happen to know of any troubleshooting tips or easy fixes?

The engine seems to run very strong (130k miles) but I frequently hear this unbelievably high pitched and irritating squeal. The previous owner explained that the noise was caused by the cold air intake he had put on. The motor also has an Edge programmer and I think it has a throttle body spacer.

Question 3) Ideas on the squeal? Could it be the cold air intake? Is the intake a good thing?
Question 4) Anybody have thoughts on the Edge programmer? Good/bad? If I need to remove it...how?
Question 5) What is the throttle body spacer about? Good/bad?

The front tires are totally spent and the rears are brand new. I'm planning to go buy two new ones.

Question 6) Any thoughts on Dynabeads for balancing?

The previous owner told me that the blower motor for the heater and a/c doesn't work. It sure enough doesn't!

Question 7) Any troubleshooting tips here? I read something about a resistor on a switch or something but didn't understand it. Any writeups on doing this job?

Sorry for all the questions guys, thanks so much for your help. I've been reading forums all morning this morning and I'm sure there are answers to some of my questions that are already out there, please forgive my excitement to post and be a pal and link me to the right place. I can't wait to dig into this thing and be able to give advice in the near future and not just be a sponge!
How the hell did you get that in the garage?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same issue with my heater, the wire harness part number is 68052589 AA. Try copying and pasting it into google and see what you find. I think mine was a out $27.

·
Registered
407 Posts
As for the body lift: Spray the bolts with some wd-40,pb blast or what ever you have a couple of days before removal. I have a JKS 1.25" BL (body lift) with a 1"mml (motor mount lift). That may also solve the tranny problem. Even with a 1.25" BL I think you could stay with 35's. You may not need the MML if the you have a 3" BL.
For removing the BL you can use a floor jack with a block of wood and you should be able to remove the BL one side at a time.

Tranny: You could get the clutch checked out and see if it needs to be replaced. It could also have to do with a large body lift like that the shifter maybe hitting on the tranny tunnel and not allowing the fully go into gear. You can have the same problem if your T-case has a spacers installed. They would be installed between the skid plate and frame.

I noticed that you have cardboard under the motor of the jeep. Are you leaking something?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As for the body lift: Spray the bolts with some wd-40,pb blast or what ever you have a couple of days before removal. I have a JKS 1.25" BL (body lift) with a 1"mml (motor mount lift). That may also solve the tranny problem. Even with a 1.25" BL I think you could stay with 35's. You may not need the MML if the you have a 3" BL.
For removing the BL you can use a floor jack with a block of wood and you should be able to remove the BL one side at a time.

Tranny: You could get the clutch checked out and see if it needs to be replaced. It could also have to do with a large body lift like that the shifter maybe hitting on the tranny tunnel and not allowing the fully go into gear. You can have the same problem if your T-case has a spacers installed. They would be installed between the skid plate and frame.

I noticed that you have cardboard under the motor of the jeep. Are you leaking something?
Good advice on the WD-40, thanks! I haven't heard of a MML but I just commented yesterday that the motor looked normal height in the engine compartment for such a large body lift...a MML would make sense. I talked with another guy here locally yesterday and he also suggested a 1.25" BL. I think I'm going to try cutting the 3" spacers down and have a freebie "down-grade." So I don't need to lift the entire body up at the same time to take the lift off? That sounds much easier, how long does it take? Any diagrams of where all the spacers are, so I don't end up hunting for one that is hidden behind something?

Good thoughts on the trans, I think the clutch is good and for all but 5th gear it does seem to go fully into gear but I will check for t-case spacers. Should it not have those? What are they for? Any pics of what I'm looking for?

Unfortunately it does have a small oil leak, which I cannot stand!! I haven't had a chance to get real careful about looking at it yet but from a 30 second glance underneath and from reading about jeep oil leaks I think it's going to be a rear main seal.

I'm probably going to end up doing most of the work on this jeep myself but I am going to defer the oil leak and trans problems to a pro (partially because I want to be able to drive it more!). Anybody have experience on how much a tranny rebuild should cost? I'm probably going to have it re-geared while it's out and maybe a new clutch. Any thoughts on cost for rear main replacement?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts