Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I posted a thread a little bit ago looking for guidance on what Jeep to look for in my budget. I ended up buying a 1998 TJ 4 litre automatic Sahara trim with ~138k miles. I got it for 5900 the body is a little rough,but everything is in working order it doesn't have the hardtop anymore though. It has some rust being from the east coast for some years, but the mechanic said don't worry about it. It has a crack in the exhaust manifold (seems to be a Jeep thing lol from what I gather lol) I am wondering if I should replace it? The mechanic told me that we should run it and enjoy it (he also into 4x4) until something breaks then worry about replacing stuff. it came with a whole host of receipts from all the stuff that has been up kept over the years. Mechanical wise, I believe it is all stock besides a 3 inch rough country lift and some skid plates on the under side. I figure it's a good starter Jeep.

we took it on some trails already rides great on and off road (cut one of the tires a little bit on the outside from a rock, we didn't air them down since we don't have onboard air at the moment) Would it be ok if we aired down to 15 psi or so even if we dont have onboard air yet? like air down they fill back up in town at a gas station until we pick out a compressor or? I think they are sitting around 30 psi currently Dick Cepek FC II tires. The guy we bought it from told us about some jeep clubs and all about airing down and some off road tips, but he also had onboard air on it util he swapped it over to his new jeep.

we ordered a Jeep and 4x4 trail guide book for AZ. :)

Any pointers for an onboard air system for refilling the tires? I have seen the A/C compressors converted and it looks easy, but I don't know how much I want to do to this Jeep at the moment.
Anyone reccomend a good affordable onboard compressor that can hardwire into the Jeep, I was thinking possibly use the switch for the rear windshield heater for the hardtop since we don't have a hardtop and it's kind of a useless switch at the moment? Also any other cheaper mods we should look at as it sits? It's mainly going to be used as a weekend/trail ride...

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Viair makes a great portable or onboard air system for the Wrangler and it seems to be the front runner for Wrangler owners. I personally am opting for a portable so I can air up my son's F-150 tires when we off-road together.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If it was my Jeep, I would get the exhaust manifold replaced. A crack in that allows more oxygen into the exhaust so the O2 sensor reads a lean mixture and the computer then adds more fuel that you don't need. Gas mileage goes down along with performance. Those manifolds are prone to cracking and it may be a good time to look at other alternatives such as a header.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it was my Jeep, I would get the exhaust manifold replaced. A crack in that allows more oxygen into the exhaust so the O2 sensor reads a lean mixture and the computer then adds more fuel that you don't need. Gas mileage goes down along with performance. Those manifolds are prone to cracking and it may be a good time to look at other alternatives such as a header.
would this part suffice?http://www.carparts.com/details/Jeep/Wrangler_-openp-TJ-closep-/Pacesetter/Headers/1998/P40701138.html?TID=80000000CP&origin=pla&CP=1&CP_SRC=PPC&003=27372932&010=cppahe98jeepwrangler(tj)19971999pacesetterp407011381171636&c_aid=42480466773&c2cid=b75ece50-aac5-475b-80f1-59728054341a&gclid=CKLrhv6twL4CFZRhfgod-nMAoQ

I don't really know about all the difference parts available, I found some manifolds in the 150 dollar range and would like to stay in that price realm, advanced auto wants like 904.38 to install a new manifold including labor and parts- I would much rather do it myself because that number seems crazy they want 477 bucks in parts (manifold, and gasket) which seems steep and it would be rewarding to do it myself.

if any of you happen to know a good part to replace my manifold with that's reasonably priced shoot me a link! Is this what you are referring to? Jeep Wrangler Cherokee 4 0L Exhaust Header TJ YJ XJ ZJ | eBay

I don't want to sink a ton of money into brand name stuff since I don't know how long we will have this as we so far love it and are thinking about upgrading already.

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
You can safely air down to around 10-12 psi. Look at the MV50 air pump for airing back up. Its a portable little pump that will air a 33 up from 12 psi to 30 in just a couple minutes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts