Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
2.5L>4.0L
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bumper is rusted on. My grandpa is coming over tomorrow to finish. So far. Took it out of the box and removed the lights off the bumper.

Attachments

·
2.5L>4.0L
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Problem. PB blaster did not work. HOW DO I GET FRONT BUMPER OFF????

·
Registered
104 Posts
Smack that bitch with a sledge hammer :punk: that is if you don't plan on keeping it. And make sure u got all the bolts off. There's is one on the bottom side on each frame mounting point

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Buy an angle grinder. If you live in the rust belt, it will quickly become your best friend when bolts won't budge.

·
2.5L>4.0L
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Isnt the only thing just the head of the bolt on the underside or is their something else on the inside of bumper that needs to come off?

·
2.5L>4.0L
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been beating the shot out of the head of the bolts and ain't moving. There is nothing coming through on the other side.

·
Registered
260 Posts
there is like 2 bolts ontop and 2 bolts on the bottom on each side If I remember. They are going to be rusted to shit on the bottom depending on where you live so god bless! lol I couldn't get them I needed a strong friend to do it.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
Heat them up and they should come right out
That's a very good suggestion so long as it is heated up enough.

Make sure to use a good quality fresh T-55 and with an adapter so it can be mounted onto a 1/2" drive ratchet wrench or, better, a slightly longer breaker bar. Those particular bolts will be too tight for a 3/8" drive wrench.

·
2.5L>4.0L
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are no bolts on top side so they are over torqued. Taking to body shop tomorrow

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
TBrownSTL said:
There are no bolts on top side so they are over torqued. Taking to body shop tomorrow
:nonono:

You can get them. Keep at it. Use the good advice given from everyone.

·
2.5L>4.0L
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've done everything everyone has said. I have applied 200 foot pound torque an still not budging. Need and air wrench. Take 10 seconds to get it off.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
did you try the grinder?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had my sway bar links rusted on and i got a torch and heated them up really hot then hit the bolts out with a hammer

·
2.5L>4.0L
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Everything but grinder. Don't want to buy a grinder to use only once.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Trust me that won't be the only use you have for the grinder! You can get a cheap one from harbor freight if you don't want to put alot into one. Put a little more time into it, heat it with a torch, use a hammer to tap it to help break it free, generous amounts of penetrating oil ( be careful of oil and torch). When all else fails the old trick of putting tension on the bolt with your wrench and tapping with a hammer simultaneously like an impact wrench.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Everything but grinder. Don't want to buy a grinder to use only once.
If you have one component rusted on now, I can guarantee you'll have more. You probably won't use it just once. It's an invaluable resource when you live in areas where cars rust.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
TBrownSTL said:
I've done everything everyone has said. I have applied 200 foot pound torque an still not budging. Need and air wrench. Take 10 seconds to get it off.
You don't want to use an impact on a rusty torx bolt. Both will be stripped in seconds.

You are not the first to have this type of problem. A small propane torch can be purchased at any hardware store for very little. Heat them up good.

These bolts are self tapping and installed with an impact at the factory. They will come out hard the entire way. Once you get them out replace them with button head cap screws. 1/2-13

1 - 20 of 31 Posts