Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to my fellow jeepers,
ive got a 93 4cyl yj desprately crying for a hemi swap! what do i need to know, any good websites what can i expect the swap to cost?? im gonna have to pass MA emmisions and inspection. whats a nice std trans to mate w/ a new hemi? then we'll deal w/ axels, tires, then body work.
is it typical to have rust under the jeep logo on the body panels? what is involed in replacing that and i imagine the windsheild is just a bolt on?
i figure all of these ?s have already been discussed thanks for your paitience for me being a newbie.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
welcome to the forum. thats gonna be one serious build. first thing is to know state emissions laws. in illinois the obd2 system has to be correct and functioning. no check engine light staying on, but it has to work and detect failures. there's a company that makes a wiring harness and ecu, and they put one in a tj on a tv show called extreme 4x4. if you can get that episode that would be a good resource. they neglected to speak of the price, but that custom built harness and programmed ecu can't be cheap.

and the engine and trans i'd venture to say are gonna run close to 5 grand in a junk yard. i just tried to find a grand cherokee 4.7 v8 for a customer and found a couple junkyards around 1500, but mostly 2 grand for that motor, and a hemi driveline will be more.

put up some pics, we love to see them. and we can talk about rust. oh yeah, windshield is common to rust, and is easily replaced. hinges will usually have to be replaced also.

·
Registered
486 Posts
call tony at hotwire auto 479-243-9115.
He can hook you up with the harness.
My opinion if you are going to dump 8 to 10 k into a jeep is should be rust free. You can find a rust free yj if you take your time and look.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im not to concerend about the rust. so what am i looking at a junk yard hemi 12-1500 what about the trans? i assume new motor mounts, radiator, exhaust, there must be a company that just sells a complete swap kit right?

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
no plain kit i've ever seen, and if a grand cherokee 4.7 is 2 grand, a hemi is gonna be hard to find under 2500, probably 3 grand, and the trans will probably be 2 grand. i agree with scrambler, you're probably lookin around 8-10 g's by the time you're done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts