Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it has finally happened! I finally got my first jeep! Its a 2001 sport model all stock. I am fresh to the jeep world but i am very excited to join it. I currently dont have any pictures yet, but i will add some shortly. Now i do have some questions if anyone doesnt mind answering. Some more info: I live in San Diego,CA. Jeep has 73,000 miles and has a rear Dana 35. I am on a budget so yes i am looking for lower prices but i am still looking for quality at the same time. I am currently in the military, so a constant paycheck will be coming in so i will be able to give a bit of money up for more quality.

Tires/Rims: I currently have stock 15" rims with 30x9.5 on. I want to updrade to 15" Dick Cepek DC-2 rims and Cepek FC-2 31x10.5 tires.
Are these good A/T tires? I will be driving pretty much 85-90% highway and 10-15% light offroading. I have gotten a quote around 1400 for rims,tires, mount,balance, hazard road care, out the door price. Is this a fair price?

Lift: In the future i would love to lift it up a bit. Like 2-3 inches. Nothing more than 3 though. I am thinking of mabye a BB. Any recommendations? Will a BB work fine during light offroading?

E-Brake:When i park on an incline i have to pull the ebrake all the way to the top to make it not roll anywhere. I did some research on it and people are saying to adjust the drum rear brakes with the star screw or whatever it is. Is this all i have to do or do i have to mess with the cable too?

Fenders: My fenders are faded bad. Should i just paint em black or just buy new fenders? If paint, what paint should i use?

I know this is quite a bit to ask but i am in need of some help due to i brand new to the jeep world, not very savvy with cars in general and dont know anyone that owns a jeep. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Wow a long but good list.:thumb: Well the tires I havent looked at any that size for a while but with the rims and tires that might not be too bad a price. Lift well a 3" BB will get you by but I hate to say it but once you bitten by the Jeep bug you will want to go bigger. I personally do not like Body lifts because it changes so much in your linckages and shift of a manual tranny.:banghead: Yes it will be fine for mild off roading.:dance: The rear brakes need adjusted. Just jack up the rear tires and adjust them until you start hearing a slight drag of the brakes.:D As for fenders you can paint them but you must use a paint that is for plastic! Now get ready to empty your wallet.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha i been feeling it already. been on forums and looking at mods everyday for hours for like 2 weeks straight now! i havent spent any money yet but i already feel my empty pockets! im dont like body lifts either. I just figured i'd get a budget boost for now since its all i can pretty much afford at the time with the 31s. Then in the future go for the suspension with 33s or something in that area. And thanks for the tips on the brakes and fenders. Any info really helps! Only help i have on my jeep are what i read on the internet haha.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I ran 32" BFG A/T's with a 2" BB and 2" bumpstop extensions for a long time. Are you planning on doing the lift yourself?
It's easy to install a BB if you have a good floor jack and 3 ton jack stands.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Welcome buddy! and thanks for your service to such a fine country! :thumb:

I think you will be fine with the 31's for now than get a small life if you would like! I offroad with some buddys of mine and as long as your not doing anything crazy you can get away with just a stock tj with the 30's!

I plan on getting the 31's for my next tires and maybe a 2"bb in the furure for now I am happy how my Jeep sits! As for the fender flares mine are faded also, I used some duplicolor stuff made for plastic and I preped them good and it still flaked off when I took it to the car wash. So maybe try some Krylon fusion if that does not work just get some new ones if you can afford them! There are a lot of neat options like the flat ones from bushwhacker and the pocket style ones! Just try and see if you can loosen the nuts first because I know all of mine are rusted or they just spin for the fender flares.
Too paints them just get some index cards or some kind of card stock and than slip them under the fender flares and mask off the rest! Good luck and welcome to the Jeep world! Glad to have ya :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ran 32" BFG A/T's with a 2" BB and 2" bumpstop extensions for a long time. Are you planning on doing the lift yourself?
It's easy to install a BB if you have a good floor jack and 3 ton jack stands.
I dont have any jack stands and i have no experience what so ever, so i probally wont be doing it myself. I made my first trip to ORW. Im thinking im going to get all my mods and have them install the stuff too.

Welcome buddy! and thanks for your service to such a fine country! :thumb:

I think you will be fine with the 31's for now than get a small life if you would like! I offroad with some buddys of mine and as long as your not doing anything crazy you can get away with just a stock tj with the 30's!

I plan on getting the 31's for my next tires and maybe a 2"bb in the furure for now I am happy how my Jeep sits! As for the fender flares mine are faded also, I used some duplicolor stuff made for plastic and I preped them good and it still flaked off when I took it to the car wash. So maybe try some Krylon fusion if that does not work just get some new ones if you can afford them! There are a lot of neat options like the flat ones from bushwhacker and the pocket style ones! Just try and see if you can loosen the nuts first because I know all of mine are rusted or they just spin for the fender flares.
Too paints them just get some index cards or some kind of card stock and than slip them under the fender flares and mask off the rest! Good luck and welcome to the Jeep world! Glad to have ya :)
Thanks, im glad to be here! I agree, im going to try and get 31s this weekend or by the end of next week. Then after i get back from deployment ill put a little lift on it. I was thinking of finding some Krylon Fusion but i figured i get the tires and wheels first. I can care less bout the little cosmetics things till after i get the major things done first. Where do you guys go offroading? I would like to try some light offroading once i do get tires.

·
Registered
260 Posts
humm there is only one "Designated park" in my area, lol
Rauch creek here in PA. You can check in the forums I think there is a few threads on places near your area from my browsing.

And good luck out there, be safe when you deploy :cool:

·
Registered
195 Posts
My Brother is a Sea Bee. I have the 2" BB that I took off of my Jeep, it's a 00 model. Because you're Navy, I will ship the spacers and bumpstop extensions to you for free.

You will have to get some shocks. I think I still have all the bolts for the bumpstop extensions if not you may have to get one or two of them.

If you want them then you might want to think about getting 32" tires. All you have to do is PM me your address.
Here is a picture when I had the BB on with 32" tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Boy Cuder that is very generous to help that guy out. Alot of my build has been by friends selling me their stuff that they have upgraded. Sawyers if you decide to go with the 31's any way, you wont need the BB right away. You will be just fine doing some mild wheeling with it on 31's. Here is a pic of mine on 31's with no lift at all. The sway bar is disconected to get the flex but as you can see the 31's will just fit. I will say that this pic was taken about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds good! Ya, i was planning on keeping it stock with the tires till when i get back from deployment then put the lift on. But, not sure if i should go with the BB or just get a 2" suspension lift. Some people tell me to just do it right with the full lift and not go cheap with the BB since its not that reliable.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Looks good.
Just a reminder for a new Jeep owner. If you are going to leave it parked for very long somewhere, you should think about leaving the top and door surrounds at home. They takes about 2 sec for someone to grab.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. I'll be getting her new tires and rims this week hopefully. Hmm, didnt know that. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
453 Posts
u may want to check out goodyear wrangler duratracs ive heard they are great all- terrain tires and use krylon fusion satin black for the faded fenders

·
Registered
453 Posts
zone lifts are relatively cheap and seem to be pretty good from what i heard, i think ill eventually get a 3 inch zone lift for my jeep

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have painted my fenders twice in about 8 years. I take them off, sand them lightly, and make sure to clean them really well. I just painted them a week ago and used the Duplicolor Bumper Coating and they look good. If your are going to take them off go and get ratcheting wrench, it will make the job much easier.

As far as tires you might want to check these out (Rugged Terrain T/A | BFGoodrich Tires). I have been hearing good things about them. Compared to the A/T ko's, you give up a little off road ability for better on road manners.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
u may want to check out goodyear wrangler duratracs ive heard they are great all- terrain tires and use krylon fusion satin black for the faded fenders
I have painted my fenders twice in about 8 years. I take them off, sand them lightly, and make sure to clean them really well. I just painted them a week ago and used the Duplicolor Bumper Coating and they look good. If your are going to take them off go and get ratcheting wrench, it will make the job much easier.

As far as tires you might want to check these out (Rugged Terrain T/A | BFGoodrich Tires). I have been hearing good things about them. Compared to the A/T ko's, you give up a little off road ability for better on road manners.
Thanks for the info. I am leaning towards the Duratracs. Love how they look. If not i may just get some Grabber AT2s. Specially since im getting 31s now. And once i get back from deployment i'll be getting a 3" lift. I may want to go 32s. So gettin Grabbers which seems like a cheaper tire wouldnt be bad for me. I'll try taking my fenders off, just got to find the right paint.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's a pain in the ass to take the fender flares off. It's easier to use a bunch of index cards and stick them behind the fenders, then use newspaper to mask some more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts