Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Rocky Mountain TJ in 2005 brand new. This wasn't my first Jeep, as I previously had a '95 Rio Grande. Had to get rid of it because I was preggo. Dumb move...:facepalm:
So anyway, the TJ has been driving like a tank so I thought I would do some upgrades to it now. It's paid off and I want it to last for my son to inherit so I thought I would install a lift kit and get some new shoes. I have always wanted to lift it but I just never did.
Called the off-road guy here in Mobile, AL (Steve) and he recommended the Rough Country 4" X Series. So I jumped. I'm getting it installed Monday along with 33x12.5-15 KM2's.
I'm a little nervous...Should I be??? :hide::confused:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Nah, but when you climb in it, you'll feel like you just climbed on top of a two story house. It's amazing how much of a difference a few inches can make. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks SpoildRotten! I was thinking about that yesterday on my ride home. I'm gonna be tall!

Imped - new shocks, new tires, new steering stabilizer...all that won't help my ride quality?

·
Registered
8,952 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thanks SpoildRotten! I was thinking about that yesterday on my ride home. I'm gonna be tall!

Imped - new shocks, new tires, new steering stabilizer...all that won't help my ride quality?
Imped said that because its rough country like the name says its gonna be a rough ride u want a smoth ride gonna need a little more money and go ome or rubicon express or something in that area

·
Registered
177 Posts
Old man emu!

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Lastly, you're putting way too much on this guy's recommendation because he's an "off road guy."

If he had a clue what he was talking about, he wouldn't be recommending that. Period.

If you're looking to improve the ride of your Jeep, you're going in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
440 Posts
A lot better Lifts out there. The only thing that they are really known for is their cheap prices and rough rides. Not really know for quality suspension parts (arms, joints, TB the components that really make the suspension work.

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
Look i own that lift its fine and rides just fine! Enjoy it

·
Registered
449 Posts
There are a million lift threads on here. Just read over some of them and you will know what will suit your needs best. I bet if you go to three diff. off road places you will get three diff. answers about the "Best" lift kit.

When you do decide what kit, look online for best deal shipped to you then find someone in your area to help you install the lift. Will save you a fortune on labor.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
What you should do is hold off.....do some RESEARCH FIRST and then make a purchasing decision afterwards. Rough Country is entry level stuff.........that 4" X lift kit comes with ALOT of [email protected].

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm just north of her in Central Alabama, and Rough Country is what I've been quoted from all the "off road" shops in neighboring cities. I don't know if they do it because it's cheap or because they don't know quality. When I eventually lift my 2000 Wrangler, I'll research and buy and install it myself with the help of a mechanic friend.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'm just north of her in Central Alabama, and Rough Country is what I've been quoted from all the "off road" shops in neighboring cities. I don't know if they do it because it's cheap or because they don't know quality. When I eventually lift my 2000 Wrangler, I'll research and buy and install it myself with the help of a mechanic friend.
A lot of the mass produced stuff like RC,Zone,RE etc have MONSTROUS markup on their products. That RC 4" X kit for example that retails for $999 has wholesale pricing of under 500 bucks. Its all gravy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wish I was mechanically inclined. Since I'm not this will have to do for now. I'm looking for aesthetics at this point. I doubt anything will make it through my kid anyway. :banghead:

I do appreciate everyone's imput and it is all dually noted.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts