Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In December 2017 I decided to begin this journey and bought this 95 YJ from my niece. The frame had the usual rust found in Southwest Virginia, not devastating but bad enough. Several rust spots on the body, some worse than others. Oddly the floor pans were in good shape. Something was happening in the transmission/clutch, hard to get into first or second. It had a pretty worn out soft top. My goals were to get it running well, looking good with a hardtop and full doors. 05C72370-A9B2-4A72-A2FF-B3DEEF575303.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The transmission trouble

I am not a mechanic, never had much opportunity to do much wrenching growing up. Trying to identify problems and not spend a ton of money has been challenging. I did my job and reasearched possible problems based on the symptoms. The easiest fix mentioned on line was to replace the clutch master and slave cylinders. I ordered part from Advance auto and despite my inexperience I jumped into the job. I successfully replaced the part, and the old one didn’t look great, but ultimately it did not fix my problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Transmission woes

I continued to research. My gut was saying I need a clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. This is beyond my ability. Some folks on line were telling me sounds like a sychronizer problem. A local guy know to wrench advised I drive it till it quits, then we will know what the problem is. I thought 5hatvwas crazy and would leave me somewhere along the side of the road. So I took it to a local transmission shop that recommended a tranny rebuild. $900.00. Wasn’t fond of that idea and later learned that he wasn’t reputable so I tried another shop with great ratings. I needed the clutch job. $400.00 plus parts. Had the job done. Runs great now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next step

I made so many lists of what to do next. I want that hard top. I want the rust gone. I hate those tiny tires. I decided frame rust was next. I located a local guy who welds frame repairs, sand blasts and paints. $1400 to clean the frame up, repair and paint. Here is before and after.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Search for parts

After spending hours trying to find the parts I need, including buying a set of rims and tires that were too big, I found a donor Jeep, 1990 YJ, that had much of what I was looking for. Hardtop, solid doors, nice wheels and tires and few extras for only $1000. No engine or transmission but at that price it seemed a deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
You definitely scored big on that parts jeep. I've been looking for full doors and a hard top and that whole jeep is cheaper than what I've found for them alone.
Any chance it has the factory center console or at least the rubber cup holder insert you might want to part with? :angel:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Factory center console

Yes I do have the center console, not in the greatest shape but I’m sure a motivated person could make something of it. Are you interested. I could post pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes I do have the center console, not in the greatest shape but I’m sure a motivated person could make something of it. Are you interested. I could post pics tomorrow.
Definitely interested. Some pictures when you get a minute would be great!

·
Super Moderator
10,647 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You already have the shifting issue resolved.
If you have more issues (you will), you can post in the YJ Tech Forum or for more general questions, you can post in the YJ General Discussion Forum.

You're gonna like it here.
Try poking around the rest of the forum. You might find it to be fun. There's a whole lot of good information to be had.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts