Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my jeep to 4wp today for an alignment... My 4wd had been making some strange sounds too, so I asked them to look at it as well... Turns out I need a new front drive shaft and a set of upper and lower ball joints... It seems like the drive shaft is an easy installation, but the ball joints, not so much... They recommended a Rubicon Express drive shaft.. After doing some research, I think that's the one I'm going to go with.. Is this the one I need? Can anyone reply with the installation guide for it? I can't find one anywhere!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
they suggested the rubicon express shaft because it is their brand and just like everything else they sell, it is not US made. it is half the cost of a good american made tom woods, JE Reel, Adams, Tatton etc. because it is not made to the same standards that US made shafts are. they are small companies that do one thing and one thing only, make driveshafts. I have called both Tom Woods and Tatton and spoke with Tom and Mr Tatton themselves. driveshafts arent something to go cheap on.

as for balljoints, as long as you get something that isnt OEM you will be fine. for the love of god do not get OEM! I have Alloy USA and I like them.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
I am not going to lie, ball joints are a pain in the butt. you have to either buy (or borrow) a press and hope to god it has the right cups. axle shafts have to come out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I can do the drive shaft myself, and I'll just send my jeep up to 4wp to do the ball joints?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
So I can do the drive shaft myself, and I'll just send my jeep up to 4wp to do the ball joints?
unless you have lots of tools and have done it before, I would have someone else do it. the balljoints I mean.

driveshaft is going to require air tools to get that pinion nut and transfercase flange nut off.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Another vote for Tom Woods.:thumb: AND do check your Caster as KJeeper indicates.

It's a fine balance between Caster and Pinion angle for taller lifts.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm still not finding an installation guide for the drive shaft.. Can anyone help me out?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts