Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
made a trip from Long Island to Poconos, mostly highway and no traffic. after my full tank of all highway miles, I got around 14-15mpg. I dont remember the exact number. and yes i manually worked it out to get that number. i feel like i should be alot higher for all highway miles. I did though have 3 other people in the jeep and all our snowboarding gear. as well as the rubi and 4.10s. would all that sound reasonable? or does it still seam low.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Pomz623 said:
made a trip from Long Island to Poconos, mostly highway and no traffic. after my full tank of all highway miles, I got around 14-15mpg. I dont remember the exact number. and yes i manually worked it out to get that number. i feel like i should be alot higher for all highway miles. I did though have 3 other people in the jeep and all our snowboarding gear. as well as the rubi and 4.10s. would all that sound reasonable? or does it still seam low.
Slow down :)

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
You were loaded up and, at least part of the way, driving in the mountains. I'd think it would be a LITTLE better than that, but probably not by a whole lot.

When I used to drive my Liberty from WI to the East Coast, I'd avg close to 18 through Ohio. After PA and MD I'd be around 15-16, so the mountains do make a pretty significant difference, IMO.

A lot of it, too, is how heavy a foot you've got. Mine's like a cinderblock. :D

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Don't feel like the "Lone Ranger", my last trip, 450 miles over the Sierras got me 15.2 mpg--with 5.38 gears !

I was LOADED, (not me), my JKUR weighed over 5500 lbs !

Lighten your load/ drive better--success is right around the corner !

Good luck

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D If you're asking me--it's about 2550rpm at 65-

Close to 2600 prm at 70mph !

:rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D Yeah, I did a buncha mph/rpm runs when I was breaking in my new gears and that was one I kept in a run outta O/D, I seem to remember the next one at 70 (outta O/D was 3100 rpm)--

. What's that yellow light on your cluster JIMBO, overdrive off! LOL
Now I gotta look for my log book !
-YUP, it seems that IN O/D--65 mph was around 2250 rpm, I even did runs in 4lo/4hi--SHAZAM !
:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
719 Posts
How did you get off and back onto Long Island with "no traffic"?

What was your cold tire pressure?

Were you running winter blend corn fuel?

Did you use the cruise control or were you constantly up and down on the gas pedal?

Hardtop or soft top?

Drive train broken in yet?

So, not knowing the variables above, IMHO 14-15 with an auto, 4.10s, a hefty load and Rubi tires with mountain driving thrown in is probably in the ballpark.

·
Registered
22 Posts
All Stock ,Empty with 3.21 gears ,1/2 tank fuel ,34 psi tire pressure , I got 19.3 mpg this morning on way to work 45 mile trip ,40 of that is hiway ...

Not doing the math , all considered in your equitation..
I agree with the rest of the folk's...

The wife and I took a trip to Tahuya Jeep trails 152 mile round trip this last Saturday, 18 mpg ,3/4 tank of gas ,same tire press. about 1.5 mpg diff with 1 more person

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Two weeks after I got my JKU this Xmas, I drove a good 270 miles one way on a trip to inlaws. This included going over the Berkshires in MA and I got over 20mpg; running 3.73s and and an auto. I had me, wife, dog and baby plus all of our xmas gear and luggage in the back; the back cargo area was chuck full.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
How many miles on the jeep? I wonder if diferent plugs,throtle body spacer, new Mass Air Flow sensor or chip it with something like Supper Chip would help

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
08 rubicon unlimited, 35" MTRs, 4.88 gears, automatic, hypertech programmer, from So Cal to Reno nv. and back: 15.9 avg.
Same trip with my '11 grand Cherokee Hemi: 19.9

·
Registered
719 Posts
Here is another blog here on the forum which adds more incite into the mpg conundrum:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/bad-mpg-jk-131503.html
:popcorn:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How did you get off and back onto Long Island with "no traffic"?

What was your cold tire pressure?
-37psi

Were you running winter blend corn fuel?
-nope Regular 87

Did you use the cruise control or were you constantly up and down on the gas pedal?
-Cruise Control as much as possible

Hardtop or soft top?
-Hard top

Drive train broken in yet?
~2600miles on the Jeep

So, not knowing the variables above, IMHO 14-15 with an auto, 4.10s, a hefty load and Rubi tires with mountain driving thrown in is probably in the ballpark.
See red above ^

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
"my JKUR weighed over 5500 lbs !" !!!:eek::nonono::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just made a trip from Dallas to Keystone and got 17.4 on the way there and coming back I got 19.1 just till south of Amarillo then I started getting about 18.2. That was with a jeep full of luggage too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts