Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both doors have holes around and under the mirrors. After removing the mirrors the rust pieces that fell out plus the white powder was unreal. Good thing for shop vacuums. The picture shows the driver door after I trimmed the rust away. The service mng in our shop says to put a plate inside and tack it in place. Has anybody seen any patch type kits for this spot? Got to be a lot of Jeeps out there that had this same issue. To bad the last owner didn’t fix it before it became so bad. I am going to get mirrors that fit on the windshield frame. That way I won’t have to drill holes for door mirrors. Any ideas as we aren’t great body people and our local body shop wants $400. a door.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Were they loose or not able to tighten? What happens if you clean it all up and try to put them back on?

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
https://www.amazon.ca/Rugged-Ridge-11025-05-Relocation-Wrangler/dp/B00603DS6Y/ref=asc_df_B00603DS6Y/?tag=bingshopdesk-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583726546183774&psc=1
Or something like this?

Rugged Ridge 11025.05 Black Mirror Relocation Filler Plate for Jeep Wrangler - Pair

Not sure why hyperlink not working... Google "Jeep JK Mirror plate"

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered door hinge bushings. Doors really drop when opened. Also I got the mirror relocation kit on order. Great idea as now I won’t have to drill any holes. Now that plates are welded in, pictures, I will do some filling and sanding. Got to get rid of the bolt still tacked to the one plate. With the doors not sitting tight maybe that’s how water got in. The guy I bought the Jeep from even mentioned he didn’t look after it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Same thing happened to my drivers door on my 09. There is a drain hole in the mirror and I believe that it got clogged and the water drained into the door. Mine doesn't look that bad but it's not great.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I’ve welded a patch inside the door skin on both doors and filled them with short fiberglass bondo. Will do some sanding and glaze and paint. I bought a mirror relocation kit so the door doesn’t have to be re-drilled. Thank goodness for kits. 👍
Got the rust off the windshield corner brackets and will cover them with rocker guard.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The windshield brackets look terrible as one of the guys I work with sprayed them with rubber undercoating thinking it would look good. Nope it doesn’t sigh 😔

1 - 14 of 14 Posts