Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I was out and about wheelin one day I found this big ass sheet of diamond plate steel layin in the middle of a creek and thought to myself "hummm...maybe I could make a skid or somethin out of that." so I picked it up :thumb:

A few months later after having a stick make it's way up between my bumper and radiator support and flatten a few fins on my radiator I decided it was time to put it to use :dance:

The plate was about 27.5" square. I cut it into strips using a bad ass sazzall and an angle grinder and used some wire wheels on the angle grinder to clean it all up and took it to a german buddy of mine with a welder and had him weld it up for me.

The strips measured (from top to bottom) 2.5", 4", 4.5", & 4.5". we had to play with the angles a bit to get everything to fit how I wanted.

The grade 8 hardware cost probably less than 15 euro and then the price of the bright red paint and the 20 euro to weld it...couldn't have cost me more than 45 euro at the most.

I angled the bottom piece down to help me "feel" before I slam a stump or something on my tie rods or whatever else...this would also be good if you've got the electronic sway bar disconnects you want to protect...but now for the pics:punk:

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice but that bright red paint job ruins it for me, paint it black and then…
:)
Well, my oil pan cover is about the same color red and I like the way that suspension companies like skyjacker paint their products bright red so that from a distance you can see it's not factory equipment...so there was my reasoning...

Grade 8 hardware.... Just a bit of over kill...
agreed, but it's whatever.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you're talkin about what you can see underneath the jeep, that's my buddy's stang...what you can see all primer grey next to the guy welding...I have no idea...I was thinkin it was some older honda or nissan, but the grille is all gone and I think it's missing a door...that's about 2/3 of a car there...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts