Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggest, here are some of my ideas for the build of my 88 YJ. Little history of the vehicle, me and my mechanical limits.
First the Jeep.
88 YJ 4.2 5spd, 31x10.5x15 tires on stock rims.
3.07 ratio stock axles.
Hard top, hard top doors with bikini top.
Bought the jeep for $1850.00 due to the fact that the transmission jumped out of reverse. Very, very good friend of mine owns a transmission shop and fixed the problem for me for free. Picked transmission up tonight and will put it back in tomorrow. Jeep does have a 2" procomp suspension lift installed by PO.
So that is about all for the vehicle.

Little bit about myself. Owner of a wrecking yard in Lubbock Texas. Been in the business for over 20 years, owner since 2000.
With that being said, I do have access to any part, engine/transmission or axle package I want.
Also have the ability to trade out body work to shops in my area.

Mechanical experience/Liability.
Well I have built a vehicle from the frame up. About 5-6 years ago I built a 67 GTO from scratch. Once done, I sold it. Didn't want to, but had to. So I am very good with building a vehicle from ground up. Limits: wiring and electrical. But my brother is very, very good with this so that's a wash.

Terrain in and around Lubbock TX.
FLAT, FLAT, FLAT! Did I mention it's flat here? I am so jealous of those up in the North-East, North-West, Colorado and AZ.
However, there are some areas around within driving distance that would be fun. Sandy, muddy and some pretty decent climbing. But nothing rock related or anything like that.
Sorry so long but I am getting to the point.
Here is my best case situation

Find a 99-02 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3, 5spd trans and manual shift transfer case.

Install said set-up along with SOA and run 33x12.5x15 tires on 15x8 rims.

Install aftermarket fender extensions to cover majority of the tire tread.

Second option:

99-02 silverado 5.3/4L60E/electric shift trans.

I also have several 8.8 ford explorer rear axles at the yard and plan on using this rear end for the SOA

So, If ya'll had unlimited access to a wrecking yard, and looking over my plans, what would you do?

I'll hang up and listen.

·
Administrator
12,548 Posts
Based on having access to the yard I would figure out how big I wanted the jeep. Then get the size axles/trans/engine to match. If I was building a trail/daily driver, I would find the ford 8.8 and a matching HP dana 30 wi/4.11 gears and call it a day. If I wanted to go SOA I would run 35's at the smallest, maybe step up to 37's and one ton running gear. bottom line its your jeep, build how you want it, that way you will enjoy it most.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts