Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 08 4dr Sahara that over the last year or so has had is share of stray honks or wiper twitches while driving or opening the door. This is weird but no reason to be alarmed. Here within the last two weeks though is has crossed the line into being a serious problem.

Two specific instances:

1. We were driving through town in a bit of trafic about 45mph when the horn began honking, all of the warning lights came on, the jeep began to decelarate, and the brakes on the right side started to break! After about 5 seconds everything went back to normal...with the exception of my wife!

2. My wife just dropped me off at work at 5:30am (dark) when she started home. She got about half way home 5miles when the horn began honking, the rear wiper started spraying fluid and wiping the window, and the motor shut down. She pulled the jeep to the side of the road without the help of the power steering and tried several thing to fix the problem key cycling on/off and all the other switches on/off with no response. She had no lights, the horn honked, the wiper fluid all ran out and stayed on, and the rear wiper kept going for 10 solid minutes...then STOPED! She put the key back in and it cranked right up! Weird!

If anyone has any advise for safety's sake it would be appreciated! Thanks

·
Administrator
30,782 Posts
I can't really help here but I have seen several threads here regarding these issues. I will go back and see if I can find them for you.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I would be back at the dealer and either getting a new one or getting this one fixed.

·
Administrator
30,782 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
have you checked your wiring harnesses for signs that mice might have been chewing the insulation off the wires for their nests. I have seen this twice once on a VW Jetta - horn and wipers would go off for no reason and on a Prius - which would turn it's self off to save the battery from over charging

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had a Durango that did many of these same crazy things. Turns out there was a control module in the dash that all those electrical systems ran through. I don't know if the JKs are setup in a similar fashion, however.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recently had a Jeep ghost as well (07 JKU). Lights would take 5 min to turn on, random wiper action, etc. I checked grounds and wiring harness connections. Turned out to be a relay in my multifunction switch. Easy fix once I figured that out but a pain to get to that point. It sounds like your problem may be a bit bigger than that but might start small.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Happened again tonight...lights out at 55mph on a curvey road, then the wipers went halfway up the windshield, stoped, and lights back on...weird! Going to the dealer in the morning with little confidence of a solution!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Resolution

Did anyone ever happen to find out what was causing this to happen?

I have an 08' Wrangler X with a similar problem.

My horn starts randomly honking, the windshield fluid starts spraying, and the a/c cuts out. It happens on the highway and in the driveway.

I was told it was my KC lights, so I had them disconnected. Then, I was told it was the battery, so I replaced it with the best one I could find. And....it kept happening.

After replacing the battery, I made it about 3 months with out a problem. Then, this past weekend, it started going crazy again. I took it to a different mechanic than before and he said he know exactly what the problem was. He said it was my multi-function switch. This morning, he called me and said that it was actually much simpler and I had a few wires for my horn and wipers that were shorted out in the steering column.

I picked it up this morning, drove the 5 minutes back to my house and it started honking the second I walked inside. I'm at my wits end and I'm seriously considering trading it in. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I suspect the TIPM, it is the power distribution computer and has been programmed with faulty software that can cause weird electrical issues.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've experienced this sort of electronic nuttiness in several different non-Jeeps (a Saab and a BMW). In one case, mice were eating the wiring under the hood. In another, one of the cells in the battery had gone bad. Both possibilities were mentioned above but I wanted to emphasize these possibilities in case they are relevant in your case.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If this was a Toyota or a Honda, the government (DOT and NHTSA) would be all over this issue demanding a massive recall and immdediate stop of sales. But because it is a Chrysler, and American union (UAW) jobs are at stake, they will do nothing. Unfortunately, this is how politics go - foreign-based companies are under intense scrutiny, while American companies can endanger consumer lives and poison soil, air and water but politicians will refuse to act because it is "un-American" to interfere with US business.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Okay so you will need an young priest and an old priest...:rofl:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I fixed it!!! Traded it for a 2011!

The last straw was my lift and tires. The ESP would kick on everytime I would go around an inclined curve. I brought it to the dealer and after 6 hours the only answer they had for me was "It's that lift and tires you put on it." Well sounded like someone didn't want to do their job to me.

So I traded it on a 2011 and had the dealer put my 1 week old lift, wheels, and tires on the new one...and wouldn't you know it, I haven't had one single problem. I guess they figured out the problems and fixed them on the latest model. I'm very happy with the new one.

·
Registered
863 Posts
GHOSTBUSTERS!!!! Sounds like a module problem. Or like it has been said a few times. Wires expose & contacting each other.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nah it's non of those things. It's the Japanese, they've infiltrated the American car companies and put gremlins in them. Nasty little creatures ;-)

·
Registered
10 Posts
A common Ghost for the 2008's?

I have the same problem, and this is what I posted on another thread, just in case you are getting notifications for this one. I'm still working on getting my issue fixed, but more and more I read about these problems coming up, the more i feel it's the TIPM and maybe the updates for it in software.

Here is my story for your enjoyment and comment.

One thing i have on my 2008 JK wrangler is a loose positive post connector going into my TIPM.

I can wiggle the post a bit which means whenever i hit a bump or shut my door, or just bump my vehicle a weird thing happens.

My wipers go on.
My washers go on.
My horn goes on.

The only way i can stop it is to pull over, open the hood and smack the top of the TIPM.

I can reproduce the effect if i just wiggle the wire that goes to the positive post connector.

I've tighted down the bolt, but it appears to still be loose. I would really like to get some help to tell me if i need to get a replacement TIPM, or if i could somehow fix this.

it's scary just getting in my jeep, since at any time driving or just standing still, the S**T may start going off.

help is appreciated...

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Solution

I found a great solution to the problem.....I traded it in.

I just couldn't deal with it anymore, my Jeep was supposed to be a source of relaxation and fun and it turned into a depressing money pit. My not be the best solution for you, but I am so much happier now....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts