Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this project to ave fun well.....boy am I...lol. All 4 leaf springs are bad and that broke the yoke on the transfer case. Soooo........if I am going to replace these stock leaf springs should I just go ahead and do the 2.5 lift kit? I'm looking at the Rubicon Express 2.5in Standard Suspension system with shocks $779.00 on ExtremeTerrain.com.........what I don't get is I called local jeep place and the stock leaf springs were like (all 4) $640.00.....no sucks, no lift....hmmmm....
Thoughts? Should I pay someone to do it? (I am not great as a wrench guy)
What do you all think? Is there a better/stronger 2.5 lift kit?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Swapping out springs is a great way to get some experience wrenching on your Jeep. It's a fairly simple straight forward job. Just make sure you use plenty of penetrating oil on the bolts as after many years these things can get quite stubborn.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Agreed on it being simple. I'm a horribly inadequate mechanic and I did spring swaps a few times now. Takes about 2 hours all around if you have air tools and only some minor rust issues.

Denis

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. So I'm new to all of this but maybe you hard core guys can take a look at these pics. From what I read online, I'm wondering if I have a small lift on this jeep but just flat leaf springs. I'm running 31 10.50 r15 tires. Let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
what do your shackles look like? i have the same size tire on my jeep that has stock springs and about a 3/4 inch shackle lift

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
From what I can see, the leafs look flat and it looks like the one is starting to arch downward. If you want the cheap/easy way to do this, get a 2.5" lift spring kit from Zone, Old Man Emu, etc. Any of those should be fine. They replace your springs. Now is a good time to upgrade to some boom shackles if you want too. For 2.5", you shouldn't have any driveline issues to address like drop pitman, SYE, etc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. I need a kit that includes shocks if I do the 2.5" lift right? I see kits that have them and don't have them. What are Boom Shackles and what would they do for me with a 2.5 lift? Thanks again. This is a life saver. The Mechanic I took the jeep to wanted $1,200 just to replace stock leaf springs!! Felt wrong so I towed it home.(yoke broke). Also, great news on the "no driveline problems" because I was worried about that.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Thanks for the info. I need a kit that includes shocks if I do the 2.5" lift right? I see kits that have them and don't have them. What are Boom Shackles and what would they do for me with a 2.5 lift? Thanks again. This is a life saver. The Mechanic I took the jeep to wanted $1,200 just to replace stock leaf springs!! Felt wrong so I towed it home.(yoke broke). Also, great news on the "no driveline problems" because I was worried about that.
Yes, you'll need shocks. Chances are good that your existing shocks are worn out if the leafs look that banged up.

Boom Shackles = Boomerang Shackles. Here's a good article explaining shackles and includes a bit on boom shackles:
Jeep Parts, Jeep Accessories & Jeep Soft Tops From The Jeep Parts Experts - Quadratec

$1200 to replace leafs is crazy! It isn't fun with just hand tools but can be done. Air tools make your life WAY easier.

Also, the caveat of "no driveline problems" makes a lot of assumptions. I've yet to hear of anyone having the need for an SYE at 2.5". You might need a 1" T-Case drop at most, but even that at 2.5" is REALLY rare.

Denis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts