Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 1997 TJ and they had to change the fuel tank due to there was a hole in the tank. Once they fixed it i ran out of gas headed to the gas station. I drove it for about 30 miles and it stalled out one me. It felt like it wasn't getting gas. Then drove 100 miles and during that time it stalled 4 more times. It would start back after sitting. Think the pum is bad or do you think there is trash in the tank from the tank they put in? The tank was from a junk yard

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also before all that happened I would have to turn the key to on and leave it about 15 seconds to get it to crank right up. If I don't it sounds like it struggles to start but does.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea it is a 4.0 with 104,000 miles. Is there a easy way of telling if that's the problem? When driving down the road at random when you go to give it more gas the engine just Boggs down like the engine is chocking.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I have some updated info. I went to go fill up with gas today and was going to fill it all they way for the first time. I was at about 1/4 tank and it would only hold 9 gal. The gage shows that it is only 3/4 of a tank.i tried to get more but it just wouldn't let me put anymore in. My theory is that the original gas tank was a 15 gal tank. And they replaced it with a 19 gal tank but used the 15 gal sending unit and pump. And probably has a 15 gal vent filler hose. Think this would be my problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Although I'm not an expert on it, if the tank size is different, it would make your gas guage read wrong but wouldn't cause the engine to cut off.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally the engine light came on. The code is P0171. Also does anyone know the fuel tank part numbers so I can determine what I had before and after the tank swap?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update.... I took my Jeep back to the place where I bought it and they say it is the Fuel Pump. So they are going to replace it next week. Hope that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Update.... I took my Jeep back to the place where I bought it and they say it is the Fuel Pump. So they are going to replace it next week. Hope that fixes the problem.
That sounds like the issue to me. Let us know if it fixes the problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts