Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a black JK, and took her to an automated wash a few weeks ago for a post-winter wash. It missed a lot a lot of spots but cleaned the majority.

So this week I took it down to my shop and gave it a good rinse with the pressure washer, scrubbed it down good with mild car wash soap, and rinsed again. I repeated in areas that were more dirty than others...

But after only a few hours, I realized all the dirt came back! We hadn't driven since, but under the fenders, it's completely covered again. Most of the plastic is the same way, especially the bumpers. Seems like no matter what I do she just won't come completely clean.

Any advice?

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Maybe it is stained and not dirty.
Another thought is the brushes at the car wash places aren’t the best and may even be dirty themselves.
Give it an old-fashioned washing by hand if your circumstances allow, or maybe a professional detail.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Did you really expect an automatic car wash to get it clean? Theyre not worth the money whasoever. The hand wand coin op machines work well though.....

The plastic is porous and gets crap trapped in it. Mothers back to black will turn it black for a while. I havent tried 303.

I have a similar problem. My jeep gets muddy the first time i drive it after washing it.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Welcome to the curse of owning a black vehicle. I did that once - once.

·
Retired Moderator
103,566 Posts
I have a black JK, and took her to an automated wash a few weeks ago for a post-winter wash. It missed a lot a lot of spots but cleaned the majority.

So this week I took it down to my shop and gave it a good rinse with the pressure washer, scrubbed it down good with mild car wash soap, and rinsed again. I repeated in areas that were more dirty than others...

But after only a few hours, I realized all the dirt came back! We hadn't driven since, but under the fenders, it's completely covered again. Most of the plastic is the same way, especially the bumpers. Seems like no matter what I do she just won't come completely clean.

Any advice?
Detail shop time..........:thumb:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate the advice. I'll try that 303 or Back to Black. I'm all for keeping her dirty most of the time, as a Jeep should be, but it's a special occasion: New rims and tires next week :dance:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You need a professional detailer to help you out. If you were in the Chicago area instead of Alaska, I would have you bring it by. Post pictures, maybe I can help from afar.
Out of curiosity, how much would you charge for something like that? Of course up here, I'm sure it'd probly cost twice as much, but just to get an idea...

I'd like to get a few light scratches out also. Had an old guy back up into it last week.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Out of curiosity, how much would you charge for something like that? Of course up here, I'm sure it'd probly cost twice as much, but just to get an idea...

I'd like to get a few light scratches out also. Had an old guy back up into it last week.
I charge 30/hr. 20/hr for friends/forum members(I'm on several forums). But a rough idea without seeing it, a black Wrangler in and out, plastic treated, tires/ wheels dressed, swirls removed, polished, sealed, plastic windows treated. 200-300. Depending on condition.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I use Simple Green on the plastic parts and scrub with a tire brush to get the mud stains off. Just soap or a pressure washer doesn't do it.
Simple green works great. Wax is imperative before winter tho to make dirt and salt come off and not stain. I know I'm not in Alaska but as long as its above 15 degrees I still wash my jeep in the driveway. Below 15 and the water freezes on the jeep too quick. A post winter wash is not sufficient. You should be doing several mid winter washes if you like automated car washes

·
Registered
535 Posts
I used to use 303, but since I discovered this stuff, I use it.
Carworx Refinish Restorer.
I could go on and on about how effective it is, but, although it is not cheap, if you try it you will like it.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
If you are talking about dirt inside the wheel wells, the plastic will stain so when its wet it appears clean. Once it dries, it looks dirty again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts