Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I recently have difficulty steering my jeep. I want to say my power steering went out but im not 100% sure. I just bought a new power steering pump but i will hold off with that until i get some more info. So heres the scoop, it feels like my steering is very very, and i do mean very stiff. It does not return to the center like it should. I see that i am leaking some fluid out of the resivore but i think that may be due to putting too much fluid in. Have any of you guys encountered such a problem? What normally goes on jeeps when they are hard to steer? I dunno guys, im just frusturated beyond belief. Oh yea, if i bent my steering collum would that cause my jeep to not turn? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
if the linkages inside the column are bent against the metal it could be hard to turn but its just a guess...sorry...im sure theres someone here that knows

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea i hope so. Do jeeps tend to break their power steering alot? Im just not sure if its the steering pump, hoses, etc. So many things that can go wrong.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My whole steering wheel fell off!! So it seems the "power steering" does stop working. hahahaha

Sorry, couldn't resist.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I would bet on the bent steering column. Jack up the front end so the tires are off the ground (use jack stands) then start it up. If it is still hard to steer at that point you column is where I would look for the problem. HTH

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. Try spraying some lube (white lithium grease) on the two steering shaft knuckles. They are under the hood, one is near the steering gear box, the other is near the firewall. This seams to work for about 2 months, then I spray them again. A new shaft is coming soon. Hope this helps, let us know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts