Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying I have more love for the Jeep brand (wranglers at least) than anyone else I know, but I’m awfully frustrated. Front axle seals crap out on both sides at 13k. No big deal I replaced those. I know have an unknown grinding noise under the Jeep. I got under there today and found some type of oil/grease being thrown all around under there. Looks like it’s coming from front driveshaft which has up and down play close to the transfer case. Come to find out my steering box is also dumping fluid onto the pitman arm and to put the icing on the cake front axle seals are dribbling again. Super frustrated and hope that Jeep did more to improve reliability on the JL. I already know they improved the seals on the D30 and 44s from looking at dealer JLs. ARGGH

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jeep will just say it is all normal. Hand you the keys and let you be on the way.
From what i can tell the after market and the forums are here to fix everything wrong with our 40 thousand dollar cars.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeep will just say it is all normal. Hand you the keys and let you be on the way.
From what i can tell the after market and the forums are here to fix everything wrong with our 40 thousand dollar cars.
It’s quite amazing the amount of design flaws I found, you’d think if an 18 year old kid could find them the Jeep engineers could:pullinghair:

Reactions: cameronusmc2001

·
Registered
304 Posts
There are miles and then there are miles. And then there are years. What year is your Jeep? What type of miles has it seen?

My Jeep has 13k miles on it. I just recently installed poison spider diff covers and on my front axle maybe a week later I have a dribble of oil coming out.
I'm not a chemist, but if a problem starts right after you "upgrade" the fluid... Was it really an upgrade? TV commercials and kids on teh interwebs may sing your new fluid's praises all day long, but the OE fluid didn't leak.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
That's bad luck. I have 75,000 on my '15 JK Rubicon and it's never been in the shop except to replace my airbag and clockspring...both on warranty.

·
Registered
330 Posts
2016 with 52K, replaced clock spring, radiator, dash from a leak, rear window due to defroster, air bag recall, weather striping on drivers front door- I had 3 inches of water after a bad rain. Its been interesting for my first Wrangler, I wouldnt trade my JK for anything but a JL haha.

·
Super Moderator
8,195 Posts
Lifted Jeep, oversize tires with stock gears reference to your offroad IG of "crazy" stuff you say you do. Perfect recipe for things like axle seals and driveshafts and steering box to wear much faster. These are not design flaws so much as wear items.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are miles and then there are miles. And then there are years. What year is your Jeep? What type of miles has it seen?

I'm not a chemist, but if a problem starts right after you "upgrade" the fluid... Was it really an upgrade? TV commercials and kids on teh interwebs may sing your new fluid's praises all day long, but the OE fluid didn't leak.
Took it to the dealership and they confirmed axle seals are shot, nothing to do with fluid. Also the Jeep is a 2017 with mostly highway miles maybe off-road around once a month.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lifted Jeep, oversize tires with stock gears reference to your offroad IG of "crazy" stuff you say you do. Perfect recipe for things like axle seals and driveshafts and steering box to wear much faster. These are not design flaws so much as wear items.
For a vehicle designed for off-road you’d think some of these components would hold up a little better, we both know having oversized tires for around 7 thousand miles should not cause this many issues.

·
Super Moderator
8,195 Posts
For a vehicle designed for off-road you’d think some of these components would hold up a little better, we both know having oversized tires for around 7 thousand miles should not cause this many issues.
All depends what you do with it in those miles. The driveshaft is a result of lift and offroad flex - not the factory's issue. I am going to suspect if you have blown more than one seal on an axle in that time I would start looking to see if the shafts are damaged or the axle is bent. The steering box is designed to turn 32 inch tires and isnt exceptionally beefy to begin with - add some bigger tires, mud or rocks, and too high (low number) gearing that needs a lot more skinny pedal and sure, its gonna protest.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All depends what you do with it in those miles. The driveshaft is a result of lift and offroad flex - not the factory's issue. I am going to suspect if you have blown more than one seal on an axle in that time I would start looking to see if the shafts are damaged or the axle is bent. The steering box is designed to turn 32 inch tires and isnt exceptionally beefy to begin with - add some bigger tires, mud or rocks, and too high (low number) gearing that needs a lot more skinny pedal and sure, its gonna protest.
I’m not claiming I haven’t accelerated some of these processes, but after only 7k miles on a 2.5 inch lift and tires decently skinnier than 35s I wouldn’t expect so many things to go wrong. Maybe I expected wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
I'll concur, while maybe a little early most of those things are quite common for a lifted jeep with larger tires. Yes, some go many more miles. Axle seal leaks seem to be common even on a stock jeep. Over the next 10K or so miles expect ball joints and tie rods. If they last longer, great. Surprised the pump is leaking, maybe just a hose or fitting?, but things happen. Good luck getting these things sorted out. Lee

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Yours is falling apart at 14,000 miles? That IS early. I didn’t have to have the Pentastar 3.6 replaced until just over 15,000 miles/2 years. I’d raise hell if it had blown up at 14,000 miles!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I had a 2016 JKU. Factory ordered it and a few days after I got it home I noticed rear axle was leaking. I don't think it's the parts, I think it's the boneheads putting them together.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to build a Jeep at the factory, and that's probably why they don't hire any rocket scientists.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yours is falling apart at 14,000 miles? That IS early. I didn’t have to have the Pentastar 3.6 replaced until just over 15,000 miles/2 years. I’d raise hell if it had blown up at 14,000 miles!
Haha luckily the pentastar is holding up well

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Took it to the dealership and they confirmed axle seals are shot, nothing to do with fluid. Also the Jeep is a 2017 with mostly highway miles maybe off-road around once a month.

You're awful lucky your dealer will do your seals with larger wheels on. Mine won't. (2017 rubicon).

That's the kind of stuff you should be well aware of though when you start jeep modding.

My steering gear started leaking a few months ago and they did do that!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You're awful lucky your dealer will do your seals with larger wheels on. Mine won't. (2017 rubicon).

That's the kind of stuff you should be well aware of though when you start jeep modding.

My steering gear started leaking a few months ago and they did do that!
My dealership is awesome, it’s best to look for a dealership that’s rated as a top customer service one. There’s some website that shows you jeep dealerships around you that have been given that but it’ll be worth your while.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts