Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently I am now a member of the club. The damaged windshield club that is. About 30 minutes into a 2.5 hour trip up north for some ATV fun on some private trails, I took a nice rock to the lower center windshield. Luckily the chip and minor spidering is only about the size of a quarter. I'm not mad; I know Wrangler windshields eat anything and everything in their path so it was inevitable. It didn't ruin my trip and it was still fun! Now to go somewhere to have the chip filled!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear/see. At least it's on the passenger side. Get it filled ASAP so it doesn't crack more.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah - I had one like that on my trip back from North Carolina last year - they came out to repair it and said they would have to replace it instead.
In it's entirety it's the size of a quarter and lasted another 200-300 miles before getting home. I would hope they can just fill it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Windshield :/

That stinks. My JK is 6 months and replaced the windshield 2 months ago. They repaired it and 2 days later completely shattered. $225 for a full one. Gotta love the Jeep though...

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
be careful with those "free" fill-ins, I took it to a place and they actually spread the crack, which then of course they said I needed a new windshield at my cost, which luckly I declined because a month after I got a new spider web stone chip. I'll keep it like this until it gets worse. Talking to a Chrysler engineer, he replaced three windshields in one year of ownership!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
be careful with those "free" fill-ins, I took it to a place and they actually spread the crack, which then of course they said I needed a new windshield at my cost, which luckly I declined because a month after I got a new spider web stone chip. I'll keep it like this until it gets worse. Talking to a Chrysler engineer, he replaced three windshields in one year of ownership!
Oh yeah I definitely wasn't planning on one of those parking lot stops. Probably going to Henderson Glass. They said they should be able to fill it no problem and Safelite said 6 inches or less should be repairable.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Oh yeah I definitely wasn't planning on one of those parking lot stops. Probably going to Henderson Glass. They said they should be able to fill it no problem and Safelite said 6 inches or less should be repairable.
Henderson glass are the guys that propagated the crack on my windshield!
They make you sign a form that you are aware that it could happen, although they tell you its very rare occurrence...

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Henderson glass are the guys that propagated the crack on my windshield!
They make you sign a form that you are aware that it could happen, although they tell you its very rare occurrence...
They have a good rep and I would rather go there than other places I have seen. If it happens, it happens but I count on them to take the steps to try to prevent it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
if "they" won't fill it just buy a kit and do it yourself...you can pick one up for like $10... they are pretty easy to do yourself, the sooner you do it the more likely it is to work IMO (no time to let water/gunk get in the crack... but even then it'll still work to stop the spreading, just might be more noticeable... i.e. crack doesn't become invisible due to contamination).

·
Registered
237 Posts
On my way home from Colorado last summer, I received 5 of those at once on new chip seal courtesy of a semi traveling over the prescribed speed limit.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't know if you guys have small-time glass shops around you, but my family has always sworn by Port Huron Glass (tiny glass place in Port Huron, MI). They're pretty fair. I mean my only dealings with them were for a whole new windshield for my XJ, so that was pricey, but from what I'm told by my family they do a great business. If there's a place like that I'd much prefer them over Safelite or Henderson. If only because I have a thing for supporting smallish businesses.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: Took it in after work yesterday and it took less than 10 minutes and $0 out of pocket to fill the chip!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts