Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sfor my tj I'm looking for a cheap lift but not some cheap springs for mostly look but also some performance. I already have a jks mml and bl. For suspension I was thinking of doing the 2" skyjacker bb with hydro shocks. I was gonna go with some 32" BFg km2s. I have the '99 sport rims and was wondering if the tires would rub at full lock because of the backspacing. Please let me know what you think about this set up and what u would do differently. I'm not very interested in doing new coils so I would like to stay with a budget boost.

·
Registered
504 Posts
That sounds alright but from what I've heard skyjacker shocks aren't the best. I saved up for a full OME lift from dpg off road and I couldn't be happier with the shocks. Also for the tires anything past a 10.5 tire will rub. 32s are 11.5 so you will either need wheel spacers or new rims which if you get steelies like the cragars it'll still be pretty cheap for ya

·
Registered
956 Posts
I bought a $80 2" budget boost kit with no shocks
with 2" only you can use stock shocks

i get full flex with the front swaybar off,no issues

using stock shocks I retain my smooth ride

bottomline $80 achieved what you are looking for

·
Registered
62 Posts
I need help

I bought a 6" rough country lift for my 03 TJ and need to do something about the driveshaft. Now i have been thinking going the cheaper route and just doing a transfer case drop kit and dropping it about 2" or so, but i have read doing so will cause problems with the oil pan or something like that. Those who stated that recommended a SYE or a longer driveshaft or both, idk? i'm new to this and need to know before i start installing the lift. Thanks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm not too sure about 2" without new shocks. I think it depends in the shocks you have (their quality and miles on them if they're been wheeled etc). I replaced my shocks with mine. my buddy just got spacers because he didn't know what he was doing and he couldn't go over 25 because it shook so bad. I'd be safe and get shocks

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright I'll probably get shocks but does any one know anything about the rubicon express bb with twin tube shocks? Are those shocks even half way decent?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have the rubicon express lift. I got the lesser expensive shocks I don't remember the real difference but I remember they suited me better. I asked someone from quadratic and they explained the difference to me

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone else have any reviews on the twin tube shock? And where's the cheapest place the get either the skyjacker bb or the re bb? Thanks

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I bought a 6" rough country lift for my 03 TJ and need to do something about the driveshaft. Now i have been thinking going the cheaper route and just doing a transfer case drop kit and dropping it about 2" or so, but i have read doing so will cause problems with the oil pan or something like that. Those who stated that recommended a SYE or a longer driveshaft or both, idk? i'm new to this and need to know before i start installing the lift. Thanks.
Personally I would not consider a 6" lift without a SYE and Driveshaft . You can sometimes get away with a TC drop on a 4" and that is still just be a band aide .

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
How necessary are shocks for a 2" bb?
I run 2" BB with stock shocks without issues... disco's are a must to take full advantage of flex.... Rubicon Trail

PROPER BUMPSTOPS are CRITICAL... Teraflex 2" BB ($130 from Summit Racing) comes with the bumpstop extensions....

Poser pic....(aluminum extension can be seen below)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Back in Sept I installed the 2.25" Skyjacker BBL with hydro shocks, I'm very pleased with the Hydro shocks, I also added the .75" Isolator pads in the front, that gave me alittle more hight in front. The 33x12.50x15 GoodYear Duratracs that I got actually measured 32x11.50x15, I went with Dick Cepek DC2 wheels with a backspacing of 3-5/8", so I don't have any problems rubbing control arms or spring perches, there's more pics on my profile.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
That's not a bad price. A local truck customizer shop they would install a Rough Country BBL with shocks on my jeep for $600, that's when I decided to find a kit and install it myself.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya I want to do the bb myself but I don't know if I'll be able to tj newbie, you did the skyjacker right? How tough was that?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I did the re bb with twin tubes. Rode like factory. The re tt shocks are the same length as what they put on the 3.5" lift so good articulation. Good choice on km2's. Great tire. I had them in 31 and now 33. I have installed two bb's one on my former jk and one on my lj, very easy, I had an extra set I hands to help out both times. It is a little time consuming but worth the $$ savings. If you spend on tires and a body lift what you spend on labor you could run 33's.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts