Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my tj 1.5 yrs

I've owned 11 4x4s and lifted most of them, so I decided to not lift my jeep and build it to crawl/flex and be able to get huge tires under it on stock springs.

New stinger bumper

D-rings, rock sliders and steering box skid

Modern classic enterprises flat fenders install

Traced the outline on my fender with a black sharpie

No turning back now.... I used a 4" electric cut off disk, kinda dusty but it worked.

Make sure to clean the metal with a good cleaner (i used 409)

flat fenders installed turn signals are mounted there for a few days til i get new lights.

new LED's installed front and rear with the proper flasher

Test fit of 33x12.5s
a bit wide for my taste.

Flex'n on snow mound with new tires and winch

Stage one finished-
Up grades include: smittybuilt f/r bumper & rock sliders, gas tank skid, MCE flat fenders, removal of rear flares, steering box skid, 33x10.5 TSL's, ARB d-rings, Cobra cb, LED fornt marker lights and rear 4" brake lights, 8000lbs winch.how it sits as of winter 2k10

poser flex'n

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
built a new stinger/winch bumper

time to start the Hi-line front fenders

I cut the hood with a jig saw and a long blade. I'm moving the fenders 3" up

Drivers side hi-line installed for another test fit.

passenger side installed

hi-line installed poser flex again.
still need to fix the hood

Long travel front shocks

new front shock sitting next to stock front shock

getting closer

mock up of shock in place(full extended)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fender off again time to weld in the new shock towers:D

Hood closed

new steps

cage build

all welded in and painted cage is a thru the dash design

Rear outboard shocks
about where I'm going to cut.

Mock up of shock tower, frame still needs to be cut a bit

shock tac'd in place and cycling the suspension

Full compression bumpstop

thats plenty of room

custom lower shock tabs

another poser flex on a 32" snow mound on stock 2.5L springs

I just installed some 4.OL springs up front, it leveled the jeep out (the winch pulled the front end down) and flexes much better with the 2.5L spring I'd unseat the spring an inch at full droop with the 4,.0L springs I don't unseat anymore.

·
Registered
22,831 Posts
Great job! I'm doing something similar fitting 33x10.50 on only a 1.25" BL and 3/4" front spacer with MCEs...but no where near as involved as your build.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great job! I'm doing something similar fitting 33x10.50 on only a 1.25" BL and 3/4" front spacer with MCEs...but no where near as involved as your build.
If you have the 2.5L look for some stock 4.oL springs and you won't need the spacer. the 4.oL stock springs will give you enough lift to compensate for the weight of a winch.:D and thanks, I try to do what I can on what very little money I have to play with. I try not to send more then $100 per part. and other then the cage and gas tank skid I've been able to keep that $100.00 per part limit. CA's will break that limit when time comes for those too, unless I make them:D

·
Registered
22,831 Posts
If you have the 2.5L look for some stock 4.oL springs and you won't need the spacer. the 4.oL stock springs will give you enough lift to compensate for the weight of a winch.:D and thanks, I try to do what I can on what very little money I have to play with. I try not to send more then $100 per part. and other then the cage and gas tank skid I've been able to keep that $100.00 per part limit. CA's will break that limit when time comes for those too, unless I make them:D
Actually I have a 4.0 but the springs have 128k on them. i have the four stock springs from my old LJ with only 24K on them I am going to swap into the TJ. I figure the spacer will give me just a little more room in front. The LJ came with a hard top so chances are the spring rate difference may yield me a little lift.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually I have a 4.0 but the springs have 128k on them. i have the four stock springs from my old LJ with only 24K on them I am going to swap into the TJ. I figure the spacer will give me just a little more room in front. The LJ came with a hard top so chances are the spring rate difference may yield me a little lift.
ok that sounds like it would work.... do you have a winch on your jeep?
If you do you can get some 2" light duty lift springs to level your jeep back out.

·
Registered
22,831 Posts
ok that sounds like it would work.... do you have a winch on your jeep?
If you do you can get some 2" light duty lift springs to level your jeep back out.
I don't but I will have a winch eventually. I think the 3/4" spacer should get it fairly level unless the rear springs net me more lift than I think they will.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't but I will have a winch eventually. I think the 3/4" spacer should get it fairly level unless the rear springs net me more lift than I think they will.
Gus-
I hope you can share photos when you get around to doing it. I may be going the same route unless I win the lotto and can afford the AEV highline kit.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gus-
I hope you can share photos when you get around to doing it. I may be going the same route unless I win the lotto and can afford the AEV highline kit.
The AEV high line kit is tooo expensive!!! just read the forums and do it your self, its not that hard. Trust me I've done it. you just can't be afraid to cut your jeep a bit, like 3" off the hood.

·
Registered
22,831 Posts
Gus-
I have a build thread that links to our clubs forum. it is currently in the pics section but I'm getting it moved to the this builders section shortly. Although I haven't gotten to far yet...only had the jeep for a few weeks.

and here it is! Thanks RatherBinArizona! Our mods are the best!

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/link-to-gus-99-tj-build-143726.html

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Nice build, I really like how you did the long travel shock mounts with the ford towers. If you make control arms with JJ's or similar on both ends you will be over the 100 limit. 40 per end, 10 per threaded insert and around 20 for the tube. I like your rear axle shock mounts too. I got some 4" wide 3/16" steel plate that could me made into those.

I'm planning on doing the high line with my tube fenders too. How are you going to measure for the cutout of the rear. May be a good idea to ask someone with genright hi-line fenders how much they cut off. That way later if you want fenders in the rear you can buy those to put on. Or if you cut to much out getting corner guards should cover it back up nicely. Also are you planning on covering up the gap that was made when you moved the fenders up? I think I will just try to extend the rocker guards out and box in that section.

Also do you care to give the length or model of shocks you used. Would like to see how much travel you gained doing that.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I'd like to know as much about those long travels as possible. I'd like to do that when I lift but I wouldn't know the first place to start. I'm going to run OME 2.5" springs and currie arms all the way around and I feel like the shocks are really gonna hold me back on flex. Thanks for any advice

1 - 20 of 126 Posts