Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So have posted a few threads about my new TJ and have a couple more questions that I couldn't find the answers to on here.

So far I found out I did not get lucky on the rear axel nor the gearing: 3.07 and Dana 35. So I'm worried a bit about runnin 31s as it will be a commuter. I'd like to go 4.11 gearing....is it best to try to find a used 44 axel allready geared to 4.11? Or just switch out both sets?

Also since it's new to me are there a few things I should be looking at replacing underneath or on the engine? As I posted elsewhere I'm goin with a 2" spring lift and 31s (bfg ATs probably I'd like to go 32s but with that gearing I'm worried)....but is there other stuff I should be lookin to replace? Also some quick disco ideas?

Luckily it came with a flowmaster and airraid intake (which I'd like to switch out maybe after what i read here)...came with 3 tops (hard soft and bikini). 79k miles. Paid $9200.

Wish I'd gone with a rubicon lol

Thnx in advance

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the same rear end and gearing you do. I also have a 3" lift and BFG AT 32' tires. I cant use 5th gear but other than that it is fine. I will be regearing with 4.11 to get back to stock levels.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
So have posted a few threads about my new TJ and have a couple more questions that I couldn't find the answers to on here.

So far I found out I did not get lucky on the rear axel nor the gearing: 3.07 and Dana 35. So I'm worried a bit about runnin 31s as it will be a commuter. I'd like to go 4.11 gearing....is it best to try to find a used 44 axel allready geared to 4.11? Or just switch out both sets?

Also since it's new to me are there a few things I should be looking at replacing underneath or on the engine? As I posted elsewhere I'm goin with a 2" spring lift and 31s (bfg ATs probably I'd like to go 32s but with that gearing I'm worried)....but is there other stuff I should be lookin to replace? Also some quick disco ideas?

Luckily it came with a flowmaster and airraid intake (which I'd like to switch out maybe after what i read here)...came with 3 tops (hard soft and bikini). 79k miles. Paid $9200.

Wish I'd gone with a rubicon lol

Thnx in advance

If you haven't replaced all of the fluids it might be a good idea. It will give you a benchmark as to when it was last done. Many people (especially those that don't go offroad) seldom change anything but the oil.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
If you found a ford 8.8 you'll be able to find 4.11 gears. To my knowledge the d44 didn't have a 4.10 option but I could be wrong.

As long as you don't lock the d35 you can run 31-32's without to much issue. I wheeled with d35 tracloc limited slip on 31's for 9 years.... the first wheeling trip on 33's I exploded the spider gears.

... for what its worth if you are planning on regearing I would not spend the money doing it to the 35.

IF you plan on going bigger in the future the cheapest option typically is to find a 8.8 geared 4.11 and just regear the front to match.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts