Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got in a fender bender on hwy. I was at complete stop...cab was getting on hwy when he nailed me...doing about 45. Ill get a new bumper...his cab not as lucky

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
If his ins or company is taking care of the repairs I would also ask for a full alignment check. Just saying he could have maybe hit the rear tire hard enough at that speed to throw it out or maybe bend some of your suspension arms.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very true...I will do that

·
Registered
214 Posts
A hit at 45 mph...may be more to it than just a fender repair. Medical issues that may arise, as well as diminished value of the Jeep. You really don't know if you are hurt, and I hope that is not the case, until some time passes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad no one was hurt either. Looks like I got a small dent in gas tank as well. Curious as to the estimates...does not look like any paint was touched. Im ocd about my black paint...jeep is always top notch...cop even commented on it lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Glad you're not hurt. I wondered how a jeep would hold up to a rear end accident. I'm glad you posted this!!

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
check the tailgate too as your tire might have took the brunt of the impact. Make sure you get a diminished value claim on your jeep as it will be listed as having an accident on car fax and hurt your trade in / sale value.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Glad you are ok. Appears your jeep is too but as others have said, get it checked out to be sure. Glad to see the OEM bumper took the hit and visible damage appears minimal. Let us know the findings. Best.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
check the tailgate too as your tire might have took the brunt of the impact. Make sure you get a diminished value claim on your jeep as it will be listed as having an accident on car fax and hurt your trade in / sale value.
Thanks for the advice..only being in a couple fender benders in last 25 years...how do I go about getting a diminished value claim? Is this something my insurance would provide or the car at fault?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Glad you're ok. There's no way he was going 45 when he hit you. Maybe 45 before slamming on the brakes.. Looks like a 20 mph collision at most. Definitely get your rig checked for more than just the bumper. Don't the the cab's insurance call the shots about where you take it either. Go to an independent shop and get a few estimates. There is always damage you can't see.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Wow...even at 20, I'm surprised his looks so beat up and yours while you might have unseen damage (tailgate, alignment...etc) doesn't look bad at all.

Glad you are alright and hope you don't have any other injuries.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Very good point that Alangoli said. I got rear ended settled in first 3 months medical and vehicle. Little bit of time went by and my arm started going numb my Chiropractor said it was whiplash related most likely from accident. Glad your ok. Wait as long as you can. His insurance will pester you to get to settle right away wait a year. I felt fine afterward. Hit sitting still he was doing 45.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Take your rig to your insurance company inspection point and have them do a thorough check. Sometimes damage is not immediately evident, especially if your gas tank is dented.

Wonder what my steel bumpers would have done to his cab...

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
check the tailgate too as your tire might have took the brunt of the impact.
+1 about the tailgate. Many times the damage is hidden, some of which might be the (factory weak) spot welds popping open.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Thanks for the advice..only being in a couple fender benders in last 25 years...how do I go about getting a diminished value claim? Is this something my insurance would provide or the car at fault?
it is not something that they like to mention to you. You must bring it up to them. They actually have lawyers that just deal in diminished value claims.
I just read yesterday someone tried to trade in his 2013 sahara with an accident on the record for just a valet who scratched on the bumper and they would only offer him $17K.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/thought-these-held-their-resale-value-1601801.html
The insurance at fault would be paying. They inspect your vehicle after they fix it all and compare your value to ones with accidents and ones without accidents and give you the difference.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it is not something that they like to mention to you. You must bring it up to them. They actually have lawyers that just deal in diminished value claims.
I just read yesterday someone tried to trade in his 2013 sahara with an accident on the record for just a valet who scratched on the bumper and they would only offer him $17K.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/thought-these-held-their-resale-value-1601801.html

The insurance at fault would be paying. They inspect your vehicle after they fix it all and compare your value to ones with accidents and ones without accidents and give you the difference.
Thanks and noted! will update when this moves along and is settled.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Not to throw this too much off topic but I was sitting at my insurance company today talking to my agent about diminished value as my jeep was recently hit. He said he had heard of the term but didn't really know how I should go about it. I am not so sure either. It was the other guys fault so how do I prove that my jeep has diminished value? What are the steps I need to be taking?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Love seeing how Jeep holds up and the carnage on the other end...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts