Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a WWII era Spen trailer from abuddy of mine. It had been sitting in the weather for a few years, but the bodywas in great condition. After hours of sanding and angle grinding, I think Ihave made pretty good progress. Now don’t bust my chops about the side markerlights or the placement of the reflectors. I used the existing holes which weredrilled by a former owner. I have a bunch more holes that need to be weldedbefore I can paint. I plan on using Herculiner for the interior and painting ita gun metal gray. That way it won’t clash with my purple 48 CJ2A; my silver2010 JKUR; or my blue 2016 JKUR. I haven’t ruled out painting it olive drab,but I would have to remove the side markers and weld up the big holes to makeit look right (too much work).
Everything I know about Spen trailers comes from theinternet. The Henry Spen Company made trailers for the Marine Corps. startingin 1944. When the war ended, they started making a civilian version starting in1946. The civilian version had a tailgate, a ball type receiver and stakepockets for a canvas top. I’m guessing my trailer was made in late 1945 andsent to the military, but was not sent overseas. It was sold as militarysurplus in 1947 as an unknown year and make. I learned it was a Spen by the shape of thefenders. My next project will be building a top. My neighbor with an M416 hassome ideas. I want a metal top that I can eventually mount a tent onto. I haveseen some on the internet, but nobody has posted any plans. Any ideas?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the photos didnt load

photos

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
more photos

before and after

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more photos

more photos

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, that looks like what I want to do.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Latest Photos

Added stabilizers, Herculiner and paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Front view.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts