Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
]My Christmas gift, "sPod",came in the mail today. I am going to install auxiliary lighting,on the Tank Sahara...Fogs and driving lights,and I don't want a spaghetti wire mess,so I went with the sPod. It looked very modular, clean and has a voltage cut back if you happen to leave something on,preventing the battery from being run out,as well,I like the up between the sun visors,and above the RVM location of the switch bank. The lighted switches that come in custom switch rockers is very cool.

So I decided to spend a good part of New Years eve day in the garage listening to tunes and installing the sPod. What a great way to a couple hours of the day.

The instructions are straight forward,as well,there is a very good tutorial on you tube on the sPod install.

Here is my sPod odyssey;

cpp 191.jpg

All parts came wired and ready to install. Packaging was first rate.

cpp 198.jpg

First off you need to remove the
freedom panels(if applicable).
Then remove the left sun visor...
and pull out the middle trim panel
above the mirror.

cpp 199.jpg

Remove all the "A" pillar trim moldings
And the cover on the left end of the
dash,this one pops off as do most,
there is however,a bolt and push
pin,that has to come out of the
top corner trim panel.

cpp 200.jpg

You start to get quite a collection
of parts LOL!!

cpp 201.jpg

Once you have the trim panels off you
can remove the footman's loop,and install
the switch bracket that will hold your switch
panel. Once you have the bracket in place it
will be necessary to mark and trim the center
trim panel. As you can see I used masking tape
the next few photos will explain.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
cpp 203.jpg

All taped off and ready to cut.

cpp 204.jpg

I used a dremmel tool with a cut off wheel.

cpp 205.jpg

All cut and the edges cleaned up.

cpp 206.jpg

You need to mock it up to make sure
the cuts were correct and the panel
clears the sPod switch bracket.

cpp 209.jpg

One you are certain it is correct,
it's time to install the switch panel
and run the wire.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cpp 236.jpg

Now it's time to install the switch
panel and put the freedom top back on..

cpp 235.jpg

And run the switch panel wire plug
end as pictured through the firewall

cpp 233.jpg

And now the distribution unit
can be installed running the
wire from the switch panel to it.

cpp 214.jpg

Run the wires for the positive and
ground of the distribution unit along the
wiring harness at the back of the engine bay.
The unit itself bolts to the fender well by two
of the fender bolts. When I removed them,since
they were an oven baked painted surface(and I
broke that seal)..I sprayed rust proofing all over
bolt hole and washer area before bolting up the
distribution unit.

cpp 232.jpg

And hook up to the battery.

Well almost 12:00 New Years. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cpp 214.jpg

Now it is time to start the engine and
set the distribution unit into working mode.
And test all six stations for switched power.

cpp 211.jpg

And check out all the funky lights and switches!!!

cpp 219.jpg

The distribution unit in place with cover on.....and
waiting for some switched accessory's to be wired
to it. They are all now plug and play,and very neat
and tidy little unit.

Above is a very quick synopsis of the sPod install.

I am very happy with the install and unit. It will make
installing accessory's a breeze.

P.S. LOL!! The title of this thread should read "New Years "EVE" day not New Years day...I guess I'm a little excited about the sPod and the neat plug'n play it affords!!! Happy New Year!! all the best in '016!!!!!

Bill.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Awesome! I would love to get one, good write up... And what better way to start off 2016!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Great job and great post!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sPod

Thanks,and Happy New Year!!

First off let me say that the sPod components are very high quality,and the switch panel and distribution unit are very well designed and built,and all wiring is very neat and attention to detail is impeccable. Yes it is pricey,but,you get what you pay for...as they say. I like the fact that they have a cut back circuit built into the distribution unit,so if you leave something on,when the battery reaches 10.6-V it cuts off or back,so you don't kill the battery,and you can start the vehicle and get on your way...very nice.

I was going to build my own DIY sPod but time and other factors played into it...and you just can't beat the neatness and modular low profile design of the sPod,all wires are cut perfectly to fit the late model JK. The quality control at sPod is very impressive,they take pride in building a perfect unit every time.

I didn't get into a lot of detail on the install,it was pretty general eg. where I routed the wiring exactly,and the switch panel bracket positioning to clear the center panel hole and not interfere with the left sun visor operation. Like I stated there are very good instructions that come with the sPod,and,there is a very good you-tube install tutorial.

I can hardly wait for my auxiliary lights and brackets to get here so that I can install them,and hook them up to the sPod.

I'll do more pictorials when I install those components.

cpp 195.jpg

Here is a picture of the little push pin
that comes out of the top corner A pillar
trim panel.
And the cool sPod hat!!

cpp 196.jpg

And the bolt just above the push pin.
I thought that this one might be stripped
as it came out really hard right to the end.
I thought "oh no here comes problem #1"
..but nope it went back in no problem and
tightened up nicely...when I was backing it out
it almost felt like it had some kind of thread lock
compound on the threads...but it all worked out
in the end,and as I said, tightened right up.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Great write-up! This is my next purchase, as a newbie how do I know which one to get, I done want the one with the air gauge, but I see 3 different SKU available...
600-07LT-LED1
600-09LT-LED1
600-12LT-LED1
Do you happen to know the difference? I'm planning to call them, but if you happen to know that would be great.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sPod..

Thanks!! And the install was a great,fun little project,as was the auxiliary lighting install that I wired to the sPod distribution unit.

As for which one to get,well, it depends on the year Jeep you have,mine is an '015 so this is the one I went with. I chose the dual lighted rocker switch option;
2009 - 2016 JK model 6 Switch System with double LED light Contura rocker switches & Source System it covers from '09 to '016 model JK's .

If you phone them up they will take your order and set you up with exactly the system you need for your particular year Jeep.

Glad you liked my overview of the sPod install.

Bill.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Thanks!! And the install was a great,fun little project,as was the auxiliary lighting install that I wired to the sPod distribution unit. As for which one to get,well, it depends on the year Jeep you have,mine is an '015 so this is the one I went with. I chose the dual lighted rocker switch option; 2009 - 2016 JK model 6 Switch System with double LED light Contura rocker switches & Source System it covers from '09 to '016 model JK's . If you phone them up they will take your order and set you up with exactly the system you need for your particular year Jeep. Glad you liked my overview of the sPod install. Bill.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think I'm about to repeat every post so far, but great write up! I'd like to pick this system up.

But it is an expensive little bit, huh?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Nice!! The wife and I were just talking about something like this the other night. I have a question. I have an alien shade that I leave on under my hard top and freedom panels. In your opinion would it still fit and work, or will I have to remove the alien shade. In your pics it looks like it may just possibly work but thought I'd get your opinion if you felt like giving it.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Thanks!! And the install was a great,fun little project,as was the auxiliary lighting install that I wired to the sPod distribution unit.

As for which one to get,well, it depends on the year Jeep you have,mine is an '015 so this is the one I went with. I chose the dual lighted rocker switch option;
2009 - 2016 JK model 6 Switch System with double LED light Contura rocker switches & Source System it covers from '09 to '016 model JK's .

If you phone them up they will take your order and set you up with exactly the system you need for your particular year Jeep.

Glad you liked my overview of the sPod install.

Bill.

2 questions, Did you remove that bolt? and WHY did you need to cut the trim piece? Reason I ask is I just converted my sPod over to fit my 14 that I traded for my 07 and had to get a new source bracket and switch bezel. I installed mine without the footmans loop but didnt have to trim the factory panel and didn't have to remove the bolt to get the trim off either.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice!! The wife and I were just talking about something like this the other night. I have a question. I have an alien shade that I leave on under my hard top and freedom panels. In your opinion would it still fit and work, or will I have to remove the alien shade. In your pics it looks like it may just possibly work but thought I'd get your opinion if you felt like giving it.
I'm not sure about the fit with a shade and the freedom top..it might if the shade isn't to thick or where it mounts interferes with the switch panel.

2 questions, Did you remove that bolt? and WHY did you need to cut the trim piece? Reason I ask is I just converted my sPod over to fit my 14 that I traded for my 07 and had to get a new source bracket and switch bezel. I installed mine without the footmans loop but didnt have to trim the factory panel and didn't have to remove the bolt to get the trim off either.
You are correct!!:doh2: LOL!! the bolt above the plastic clip DOES NOT have to come off to get that corner trim piece off. It would only have to come off if you had a grab handle bolted in place...something I am thinking of doing in the very near future. I pulled the bolt out because I've heard that it is difficult to remove and replace when installing grab handles...so I was doing a dry run....and including it's removal in my overview of my sPod install and making it sound as though it needs to be removed to get the panel off is a mistake..ooops sorry....it was New Years eve day and the alcoholic beverages were a flowing:drinks:...LOL!!!!....so QC on the photos and text were a little...shall we say......loose!! LOL!! And I got ahead of myself!!

Now for the center trim piece,yes,I definitely had to trim those corners in order for the center piece to clear the sPod switch panel bracket and seat up square and snug to the top of the windshield. I used the footman's loop and bolted the bracket per the instructions...The instructions do say that you may need to trim the center trim piece in order to clear the bracket and seat flush and square to the top of the windshield...I..definitely had to. Not using the footman's loop in your install probably explains why you didn't have to trim the center panel,since the sPod bracket is bolted on top of the footman's loop.Not having the bracket spaced out as far probably enabled you to seat the center panel square and even to the top of the windshield,or very ,very close...I'm guessing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts