Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im new here, just wanted to share a few pics and some ideas with my new yj i just got. I got it as a christmas present, and couldnt be happier with it. I bought it with 128k on it and drove it out to CA from GA in mid janurary. Itl be a slow build but ill get it goin soon. The first few things ima do is an intake and exhaust and i should probably add in a sterio system since no music kind of stinks. What speaker bars do you guys recommend?

Heres acouple pics

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
Nice backdrops man ... I got 2 kicker speakers up on my sound bar and I installed a Sony marine radio (good against the elements; made for boats) since I have a soft top and have it open most of the time. Got a Borla exhaust and I've been very happy with it. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a Magna flow with all 3" piping. I'm happy with it.first thing i did to my YJ is lift.. but thats just me
Im looking at a magna flow, not sure if i want to just dump rite past the muffler or maybe run dual pipes out the back for a different look.. Its got a 2.5" lift on it now with 31s. Id kindof like to go a tad bit bigger but id have to have it re-geared (gotta love that 2.5 :banghead: )and that costs more money that i plan on putting into it rite now :p

·
Registered
326 Posts
1) a magna flow on a 2.5l is a waste of money
2) assuming you have the 5 speed, you're already geared at 4.11
3) honestly, a custom dual exhaust that you're talking about, a bigger lift and regearing are gonna cost you around $4k. Sell your 2.5l and buy a 4.0. You will be a lot happier. I've owned both

·
Registered
201 Posts
With 31's your gearing is good.

I have to disagree with the above post stating a magnaflow is a waste. I installed a new 2.25" magnaflow from the manifold back and it made a big difference. Keep in mind I put a hi flow cat in as well.

When I first installed the exhaust I had it dump down, and it was way too loud for me. I ran a tail pipe out back and not only did it sound better, the increased back pressure helped its low end power.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1) a magna flow on a 2.5l is a waste of money
2) assuming you have the 5 speed, you're already geared at 4.11
3) honestly, a custom dual exhaust that you're talking about, a bigger lift and regearing are gonna cost you around $4k. Sell your 2.5l and buy a 4.0. You will be a lot happier. I've owned both
I cant afford the gas on a 4.0 in southern california :doh: i wasnt planning on doing a bigger lift or re-gearing it i was just toying with the idea. I sure dontt plan on doubling my investment with all of that

·
Registered
326 Posts
On my former 2.5, I put an exhaust header from pacesetter for $150 to give it a little extra punch. As for the rear exhaust if your looking at price options, dynomax and pacesetter both make affordable upgrades. I was going to put in an electric fan to free up a little extra hp, but the poor girl got totalled by a drunk running a red light.
Whatever you do, don't use a K&N air filter. They let too much dirt into your throttle body. Go with ac delco air filters.
I loved my 2.5, she never let me down. Great off roading and around down driving, but sucked on the highways unless I had a good tailwind!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On my former 2.5, I put an exhaust header from pacesetter for $150 to give it a little extra punch. As for the rear exhaust if your looking at price options, dynomax and pacesetter both make affordable upgrades. I was going to put in an electric fan to free up a little extra hp, but the poor girl got totalled by a drunk running a red light.
Whatever you do, don't use a K&N air filter. They let too much dirt into your throttle body. Go with ac delco air filters.
I loved my 2.5, she never let me down. Great off roading and around down driving, but sucked on the highways unless I had a good tailwind!
thanks! ill look at the headers, i plan on spending around 500 on the exhaust so worst case is ill do the pipes, muffler, and cat now and do this later. Did you notice a big difference with the new headers?

·
Registered
326 Posts
It wasn't a BIG difference, but it was a noticeable difference. When it comes to the 4 banger, every little bit helps :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts