Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the jeep scene, and loving it so far. First off, I'd like to tell you about myself. My name is Daniel, I come from Wales in the united kingdom. But I'm living in New brunswick, canada. I'm 15 years old and have a big interest in anything with wheels, I'm half decent at working on stuff. The jeep is a pay cheque to paycheque type of project , i can get my beginners in November so would be awesome if she was on the road by then, but so far I can't see that happening. It will be done when it's done.

So I bought an 1987 yj, has 144,000 on the clock. She's seen better days to be honest. The rear of the frame needs welding, right around where the shackles connect. But she's a project. At the moment she has a shackle lift, probably about 1.5" -2" . And she's running 33" trail diggers. I don't think I got too bad of a deal, I got 4 30" ATs with it on jeep rims and a soft top , for $1400

One thing I was wondering about it is the front air lockers. I didn't think yjs came with air lockers, but mine has them on the front. Trouble is the lines are snapped. But I have no idea how I would lock in the front end, or would it automatically lock in when I put in 4wd.

Another thing is all kinds of vacuum hoses and stuff are just pulled out and all over the place and bolts blocking off where a vacuum hose should go, so I'm gonna have to get a Haynes manual and sort that all out.

Any ideas for a new back window on my hardtop? It's smashed. Was like that when I bought it...

How hard is it to do a body lift, because with my 33s my shackle lift doesn't really it it, when she starts flexing she's gonna rub.

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice jeep! Looks like you have the making of something cooooool! First off remove the track bars! As far as the vac lines and if you have the carter carb remove them and install a new setup if you don't have emission tests! Yes the YJ does use air lockers and it does engage when you shift to 4 hi/lo. Have fun my friend and enjoy the jeep fever! Remember this if your not driving her you'll be working on her! Lol anyways have fun!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Stock the Jeep Wrangler does not have a locker in the differential unless it is a Rubicon and those are electronically activated. They do use a vacuum system that moves a shift fork to engage your 4wd. There are three or four hoses coming out of the passenger side of the axle that connect to the t case. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Nice loooking rig you have some projects to work but you can get all your technical help here. We have a great bunch.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feed back, I was doing some reading last night after I posted this and I think it is the vacuum hoses for the 4wd that are snapped , like someone said. I'll have a closer look when the weather clears up a bit.

·
Registered
331 Posts
First, welcome. Second, you really have two options to get your four wheel drive back. You can replace the broken vacuum lines that run out of the switch on the transmission. It's high on the passenger side. IF the vacuum shift motor on the passenger side is working, then it should work. Your other option is to get rid of the vacuum lines and tubing and install a posi loc cable. There many write-ups on this forum that discuss this. You can buy one for about $150 US or make your own for a lot less. Either way, unless you fix it, you won't have four wheel drive no matter what your transfer case says.
Another option is to replace the passenger side axle shaft with a TJ shaft and forget about the disconnect all together. Good luck

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been doing a bit of reading and the posi loc system seems to be my better and more reliable option. Do you agree?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts