Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I bought a 2014 JKU I already paid half after selling one of my other vehicles.....I thought about buying a Rubicon but I decided to wait and get a JKU my first jeep...yes I know I am sorry....I am in my 40's should of had a Jeep in my 30's but college and bills were kicking my #$#$#$....anyways

So far I have upgraded the tires, bumper with a smittybilt XRC and I bought the quadratec bikinitop which btw I was able to install in like 30 minutes....and take off is like 5 minutes its that easy to take off....riding around at Padre Island National Seashore in Corpus Christi, TX in my Jeep was Awesome many jeeps out there. IT was my first time with the top off and man I am loving this jeep more and more I am hooked for life...give me 3 more years and I will get a Rubicon and pass this to my son .....I am trying to talk my wife into a Sahara but I think she wants an Xterra oh well....:) Jeep 4 LIfe!!!!!!!

Will order a RUbicon in Anvil if available or other color...we will see what happens the jeep in the next couple of years.....

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
got the silly Jeep grin? that's all you need.....

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have my 2014 Anvil JKUR for about a week now. I traded in a 2013 JKU sport. I am so happy to have the Rubicon which is my third Jeep I am ashamed to say in as many years. I am hooked.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Don't regret anything until you get into a situation a Rubi would have dealt with easier. The Sport and Sahara are very capable unless you get into highly technical rock crawling or want to roll with 37"+ tires some what carefree. You can more than make up for the lack of a Rubi with skill, planning and common sense. ;)

Besides the need for a Rubi will help you justify or rationalize depending on your situation the need for a new Jeep sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I used to live in CC and will be down there next weekend. Gonna hit the beach on Sunday, not sure which one yet. I want to hit the 4x4 section, but have other family to meet there, so maybe just the maintained beach. Cant wait to hit the beach and sand again.

I had a Rubicon TJ when I was there and never ran into a need for a Rubicon. That being said I have a JKURX now and love it even if it is overkill.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yah being down here in south Texas I figured A rubi was overkill but we are planning to buy a home in Denver in about 10 years so I am buying a rubi later since there will be more rock climbing opportunities for me there......btw tons tons of sargas at padre not sure about CC but Pins had tons........

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought a Rubicon because I'm fortunate enough to live near some great rock-crawling trails like the Rubicon, Fordyce, etc. Since it was specifically designed for rock crawling with locking differentials and a lower transfer case and axle gear ratios, it excels at that. If mud, snow, or sand running is what you do in your area, I might not recommend a Rubicon. The lower gearing is not an asset when speed and spinning the tires is the way through the muck. Maybe Jeep should consider a high-speed "pre-runner" version of a Wrangler, something like the Ford Raptor. A 392 hemi with standard-geared Dana 44 axles and longer-travel suspension and Fox shocks...... ?

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
I bought a Rubicon because I'm fortunate enough to live near some great rock-crawling trails like the Rubicon, Fordyce, etc. Since it was specifically designed for rock crawling with locking differentials and a lower transfer case and axle gear ratios, it excels at that. If mud, snow, or sand running is what you do in your area, I might not recommend a Rubicon. The lower gearing is not an asset when speed and spinning the tires is the way through the muck. Maybe Jeep should consider a high-speed "pre-runner" version of a Wrangler, something like the Ford Raptor. A 392 hemi with standard-geared Dana 44 axles and longer-travel suspension and Fox shocks...... ?
While the Rubicon's 4:1 Tcase is the big ticket item, which admittedly I don't use a lot because I do snow/mud, there are other things which gives the stock rubi the advantage... the lockers, the smartbar, the MT's....

·
Registered
100 Posts
While the Rubicon's 4:1 Tcase is the big ticket item, which admittedly I don't use a lot because I do snow/mud, there are other things which gives the stock rubi the advantage... the lockers, the smartbar, the MT's....
Sure, I'm just saying that the cheapest new Jeep in my area is $35k and the cheapest Rubicon is $47k. That $12k difference will buy a lot of the items you listed and more.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I'm having this debate with myself at the moment as well. I currently have a 2010 JK and am looking at getting a JKU. I already have a mild lift with 33" tires and 4.88 gears. Metal bumpers, winch, ARB compressor under the hood and lots of other little goodies. Can decide if I'll get a Rubi with 4.10 gears or something like a Sahara and swap my axles underneath the newer one. The only thing I'm missing on mine is locking diffs. That would be nice on the Rubi but I also don't off road a whole lot, only occasionally.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
Sure, I'm just saying that the cheapest new Jeep in my area is $35k and the cheapest Rubicon is $47k. That $12k difference will buy a lot of the items you listed and more.
Well, now you're talking building up, not stock. The problem with that, from a resale perspective anyway... a homemade Rubicon is not a "Rubicon" and will NEVER sell at a "Rubicon" price level. So, while the stock Rubicon may cost you more, you hold more worth in your hands from start to finish. Even if you are not interested in reselling, the "Rubicon" is a higher insurance pay out if you write it off.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
I'm having this debate with myself at the moment as well. I currently have a 2010 JK and am looking at getting a JKU. I already have a mild lift with 33" tires and 4.88 gears. Metal bumpers, winch, ARB compressor under the hood and lots of other little goodies. Can decide if I'll get a Rubi with 4.10 gears or something like a Sahara and swap my axles underneath the newer one. The only thing I'm missing on mine is locking diffs. That would be nice on the Rubi but I also don't off road a whole lot, only occasionally.
That's been priced out before. It will cost you a lot more in the long to turn a Sahara into a Rubicon (if you don't cut corners... like ignore the 4:1 Tcase) than it will just to buy a Rubicon.... and in the end that sahara will still be recognized in the blue book as just a Sahara.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
That's been priced out before. It will cost you a lot more in the long to turn a Sahara into a Rubicon (if you don't cut corners... like ignore the 4:1 Tcase) than it will just to buy a Rubicon.... and in the end that sahara will still be recognized in the blue book as a Sahara.
Yeah, I know. But I can do all the work myself such as swap my 4.88-equipped axles under the JKU and put those axles under my current JK. And swap over all the other stuff I've added to mine. Basically I'd be returning my 2010 JK Islander back to mostly-stock then selling it and enjoying my newish 4 door. Still up in the air. Depends on what deals I can find. As I said, I don't do a lot of hard core wheeling but there may come a time when lockers are nice. I have a winch until then as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's been priced out before. It will cost you a lot more in the long to turn a Sahara into a Rubicon (if you don't cut corners... like ignore the 4:1 Tcase) than it will just to buy a Rubicon.... and in the end that sahara will still be recognized in the blue book as just a Sahara.
weird part is sometimes saharas are more on KBB etc than the rubicon

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, now you're talking building up, not stock. The problem with that, from a resale perspective anyway... a homemade Rubicon is not a "Rubicon" and will NEVER sell at a "Rubicon" price level. So, while the stock Rubicon may cost you more, you hold more worth in your hands from start to finish. Even if you are not interested in reselling, the "Rubicon" is a higher insurance pay out if you write it off.
I think you missed my point Bob. The object is not to build a "homemade Rubicon". If a Rubicon is what you want, you should definitely buy a Rubicon. My point is, if you are looking to have some fun in the snow and mud, you may not need all the hardware that comes on the Rubicon. When I went snow running in Wisconsin, I didn't need low gearing, lockers, or rock rails. A less expensive Jeep version would have worked just fine. Not everyone needs a hard-core rock-crawler.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Another axiom is, if you want something better than a Rubicon then don’t start with a Rubicon.

Reactions: Bob Sanders

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
I think you missed my point Bob. The object is not to build a "homemade Rubicon". If a Rubicon is what you want, you should definitely buy a Rubicon. My point is, if you are looking to have some fun in the snow and mud, you may not need all the hardware that comes on the Rubicon. When I went snow running in Wisconsin, I didn't need low gearing, lockers, or rock rails. A less expensive Jeep version would have worked just fine. Not everyone needs a hard-core rock-crawler.
Yes... I know about snow. I live in Canada and do snow for about 6 months every year without fail. Indeed, most Canadians buy jeeps for snow, not rocks, but anyway, if we go by your analogy, you don't even need a jeep. Just about any all-wheel drive will do. Funny thing is, the last all-wheel drive I had couldn't make it all the way into my cabin. We had to park 3 miles out and snowmobile the rest of the way. Of course now that I own a Rubicon I can easily make it right to the back door of my cabin with the greatest of ease!

While I agree you don't need the low gearing if snow is THE PURE AND ONLY interest, you DO need the other things (lockers, MT's... etc). There is no way in a million years I would make it all the way to our cabin without MT's lockers, swybar disconnect, extra ride height... yadda yadda, so you're back in the same boat... building up a regular jeep beyond its worth, and if you happen to sell it or write it off, you will not get that worth in return. But hey.... choice is yours. You can try and save money if you wish and if everything goes just right, you MIGHT not lose it when the show is over.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts