Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to my local paint shop who I generally deal with and the painter said he couldn't just paint the hood, and that he'd have to blend the cowl as well as the fenders? Has anyone else experienced an answer like this?:banghead:

·
Registered
583 Posts
That might be true if your rig is more than a year or two old as the paint can change quite a bit. I it's a 2011 or 2012 and the finish has been cared for then it's pretty much as easy as spraying a factory color. Mine is black and you wouldn't know it didn't come that way from factory.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mine Is a 2012 with 4K miles on It. ...It's Bright White...I just don't get It. punch the code In and spray it!

·
Registered
63 Posts
No, I just did it this week. No blending, shoot the hood and go! But mine is a 2012 with low miles, so if you have been in the sun and weather, like others said, maybe. But a good shop should be able to match your paint.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Could be he can't match the undercoat. If he want to blend then let him. He knows what he is doing.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
He's old school. He wants the job to come out perfect, meaning when it's in sun or shade you won't be able to tell the difference at all. Based upon what others have said it doesn't sound like it has to be done that way. He doesn't seem to want to take any chance that it doesn't match perfect for you. Seems like he has high quality standards. It comes down to how much it would bother you if it's not 100% exact. Paint matching and computers are great but it comes down to who is spraying it. Maaco uses computer paint matching also. I don't think you would want them to do it. Have you seen other jobs he's done and are they perfect. If they are let him have at it.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I've sprayed a few cars (and portions thereof) in my day, and I think the painter is being a little too anal. Especially considering the vehicle is new, and white to boot.

Sometimes colors/metallics can have a range of tints throughout the production year (ran into this with a '01 Mustang once, had to get three different quarts to get the right one) that will wreak havoc with a match, but white should be pretty safe.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
kik said:
He's old school. He wants the job to come out perfect, meaning when it's in sun or shade you won't be able to tell the difference at all. Based upon what others have said it doesn't sound like it has to be done that way. He doesn't seem to want to take any chance that it doesn't match perfect for you. Seems like he has high quality standards. It comes down to how much it would bother you if it's not 100% exact. Paint matching and computers are great but it comes down to who is spraying it. Maaco uses computer paint matching also. I don't think you would want them to do it. Have you seen other jobs he's done and are they perfect. If they are let him have at it.
Well said

·
Registered
69 Posts
False. You would only consider a blend a separate panel if it's a 3 stage paint and even then it's not mandatory. Find a different shop.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Blending sucks.

They claim no paint can be matched 100% because they actually have more than one paint code for each color. The factory changes suppliers etc. Their suppliers have a percent range they have to match that is why there are alternate paint codes for colors. My silver has two alternate codes.

They want to blend the silvers together so your eye doesn't see any mismatch.

Even if they can't match it 100% I'd prefer to not blend the flares. I will never let them blend mine again.

With body lines and fender lines where parts meets if there is a slight shade difference in paint the body lines can help mask it.

The biggest problem in blending is they will clear the entire flare, even the part not painted with new silver. Then you get way more layers of clear on the factory painted part of the flare. Why does that matter? Clear turns darker and yellow over time.

I have a silver Honda and a silver Ford. One painted at a dealer and one at the best local shop. Both suck. The longer you own the vehicle the worse it gets. I have a truck fender they blended just the front edge and now when you look at the side of the truck where the fender meets the door the fender is way darker than the door.

On the Honda you can see a faded pattern where the feathered the silver in.

To each his own though. AEV doesn't blend fenders.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ask the dealer body shop. Blending requires over spraying other parts of your car! I would be leery having it don to my new car!

·
Registered
350 Posts
My old buddy's dad was a body guy. Painted many cars in his day. Not saying hes amazing but I never saw issues with is work. One thing he told me was surprisingly white is one of the HARDEST colors to match because it can vary so much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts