Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's it's been subzero temps and windchill almost -30f here in Michigan and my JKU bounce around too much. Looks like shocks are shot.
Do you guys feel the same? Does shocks freeze up and act like a solid rod? Or it's just me?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Your shocks need time to heat up. They should heat up after driving for a while. I haven't had a smooth ride in months, as I only drive short distances. Just wait till it gets a little warmer and they should be running smoothly again

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
they arent frozen, but the fluid is a lot more dense. I also notice my auto wants to take off at idle after just starting up and all that fluid in the torque converter is chilly

·
Registered
759 Posts
To answer your question, most of your fluids are stiffer.
That goes for the motor oil on start up (depending on what viscosity)
And probably every other fluid if they weren't designed to be ran in subzero temps.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,657 Posts
In them severally cold temperatures, everything will be stiffer.
This also includes your tires!!!

I have lived in hot Phoenix for many years, but I remember the time when I lived in cold NW Indiana. My vehicles sat outside, because I didn't have a garage. So even the tires would get flat spots in them from the cold, and would cause a bounce until they warmed up!

I really don't miss them days, 75 here in Phoenix today!:D

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Not only will the fluid in the shocks make it feel off but the metal of the springs is actually also cold enough to make it feel totally different. In school I was always taught that the ultimate enemy of a suspension is.... cold weather

·
Registered
158 Posts
Fellow Michigander here. I run Fox reservoir shocks and they are stiff as could be in this weather. Having 37" toyos that are load range E on my rig also doesn't help the ride.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
It feels like I'm driving a washing machine that's out of balance when it's cold. She hates the cold. I got a text from a friend this morning saying his rear locker light was erratically flashing this morning - he came to the conclusion that at 0 degrees the gear oil was like butter. I brought him some bottles of oil that were sitting in my garage last night so he could take his diff cover off & he said it poured like molasses.

DIE WINTER, DIE!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
It was a balmy 27 degrees this morning, but a few weeks ago at -6 (regular temp), I was worrying how that 5w30 oil was hlding out.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts