Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RC 3.25 Lift came today,my question is should I do it myself or let a local shop install it. They told me 4-5 hours at $50 buck a hour. They have installed many lifts in the past and the owner is a jeep guy. What should I do?:banghead:

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
That's tough to answer when we don't know anything about your mechanical ability, experience, or tool selection.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Since we don't know your skills/abilities or what you have access to as far as shop, tools, etc...it might be tough for us to advise. My theory is that if you can do it yourself, then do so as you will get to know your Jeep better. Get some friends over to help and provide support.

But for ~$250 for it to be installed is not too bad though...especially if includes an alignment too.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
I've installed 15 lifts in the last couple months. If you have tools and jacks and jack stands and beer it takes @bout 2 hours

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I forgot about my skills, I worked as a mechanic when I was young,went to a tec school for auto body, and the last 10 years I was a heavy equipment instructor until I had a accident and hurt my back ayear ago. so crawlin around under a jeep is hard on me. I have all tools needed but a lift. I wish I lived In a area where we had a jeep club and had people that knew what they are doing to help me. I know it is only a 3-5 hour job for most people but this will take me 2 days with my back. I think it will be better to just let the shop do it. Save me some back pain.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Then don't chance it.... seriously..... take care of your back and have the shop do it. I'm sure you are more than capable, but don't chance it.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Then don't chance it.... seriously..... take care of your back and have the shop do it. I'm sure you are more than capable, but don't chance it.
Amen!:thumb:

·
Banned
20 Posts
Do it yourself! This will give you a perfect opportunity to learn about your jeep and how things work under it. This reminds me of a situation I was in about a year ago. I was at my local best buy and there was a young dude about 20 or 21 in the parking lot with his hood up and on the cell phone. Being the responsible jeep owner I am I pulled onside of him and asked if he needed help. He proceeded to tell me that his jeep was acting up and he didn't know what was wrong. There was obvious steam coming from the engine compartment. Now...this dude had about a 3 or 4 inch lift with tons of lights and fantsy rock star or metal mulisha terds and murders on it. Anyway......long story long... He needed coolant. So I topped him off with some water from my Gerry can and he was able to I guess limp home. You get my point. You will never learn to swim if you don't jump in.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Do it yourself! This will give you a perfect opportunity to learn about your jeep and how things work under it. This reminds me of a situation I was in about a year ago. I was at my local best buy and there was a young dude about 20 or 21 in the parking lot with his hood up and on the cell phone. Being the responsible jeep owner I am I pulled onside of him and asked if he needed help. He proceeded to tell me that his jeep was acting up and he didn't know what was wrong. There was obvious steam coming from the engine compartment. Now...this dude had about a 3 or 4 inch lift with tons of lights and fantsy rock star or metal mulisha terds and murders on it. Anyway......long story long... He needed coolant. So I topped him off with some water from my Gerry can and he was able to I guess limp home. You get my point. You will never learn to swim if you don't jump in.
You didn't read his second post about his bad back....

·
Registered
2,925 Posts

You didn't read his second post......he needs to have it done and not risk any more injury....

Sorry I forgot about my skills, I worked as a mechanic when I was young,went to a tec school for auto body, and the last 10 years I was a heavy equipment instructor until I had a accident and hurt my back ayear ago. so crawlin around under a jeep is hard on me. I have all tools needed but a lift. I wish I lived In a area where we had a jeep club and had people that knew what they are doing to help me. I know it is only a 3-5 hour job for most people but this will take me 2 days with my back. I think it will be better to just let the shop do it. Save me some back pain.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree save your back. For only a couple hundred bucks, I would let the shop do it. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Let the shop do it. $250 is a alot cheaper than long term back therapy and pain. There is just too much torque involve at odd positions even for a healthy back. Although I did really enjoyed the satisfaction of doing it myself, including alignment.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Do it yourself.
People die every day, know what that means? New spines are out there every single day. So sack up. Don't even think about lifting with your legs. Try to get all the weight to reside in your back and anything that needs lifted needs done so in a sharp jerking and twisting type manner.

Jesus... like everyone here turned into a girl over night or something.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
"Don't even think about lifting with your legs. Try to get all the weight to reside in your back and anything that needs lifted needs done so in a sharp jerking and twisting type manner. "
'excerpts from the school of Dr. Quack.. Really? Calm down Hercules.
I think it was sarcasm......

Def have the shop do it. I wish we would get $50/hr rates where I am its generally $80-120/hr.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts