Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I broke the first rule of off roading, I didn't go with a buddy. I had planned to go but he broke an axle so since it was a mild trail with a few "small" mud holes it thought I would be fine. I thought wrong.
The day went fine the trail was good and fun, I've been there before. We were on our way back and I exited a river inlet finger, got to the top and my front slipped down as the trail broke. This turned me 90 degrees, all four tires now in the muck and silt and my front tight up against a small 2 1/2 foot wall of hard clay silt. I knew I was FUBARed! So I drop to 4 low lock the axles and move about 3 feet then sink about a foot. I call a buddy and he gets stuck, we call another buddy, he just spins and can't get purchase on the ground. About 15 hours into it the jeep sinks past her tires, still running so were good, we decide to dig the bank out with hand shovels (special thanks to my brother) 6 hours of chest deep water from the rivers tide I presume we find out I am hung up on a bent drawtite hitch, and what we believe to be a full car(its a legend that a car completely is swallowed there) we leave it and let it idle over night, the 3 hours left. Come back the next day and get my buddies power stroke on 40 inch super swappers to rope up and tug my stuck ass out! 30 hours of digging getting stuck and getting more stuck and getting two other trucks unstuck we get out. I have since decided that I want to get dedicated mud tires and leave my Toyos for trails and rock. Here are some pictures. Keeps crashing photos as soon as I get home

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
I went out alone today too and got stuck lol, good thing I have a winch!

·
Registered
591 Posts
That is pretty darn buried.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went out before I got my winch, i got an warn 8274 a week after now I am building a bumper for it. but we had fun and found out my buddies are really loyal friends.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yup. Mud is the great equalizer. I don't care built a rig is....add in mud to the equation and you might as well be driving a Prius on racing slicks. Lol. Glad you got her out.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thank you, sir. You have actually made me appreciate living in the desert for once. Try to find mud out here. Just try. Haha.

Glad you were finally able to pull your rig (and the others) out. Sounds like an exhausting, stressful experience!

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
To me that is something the people that wheel in sand and rocks/ or the desert will never understand....and maybe even some of those in the South...the mud/ clay that we have in the "Mid-West" not only reduces traction it is actually sticky like glue!!!!

And it gets everywhere and is a PIA to clean out after a Wheeling Weekend!!! I am always concerned about the damage from the mud/ clay if I don't get it all out. And the sprinkler under the Jeep thing....yeah that doesn't work on the stuff around here again the clay mixed in makes all the difference!!!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
jp2611 said:
To me that is something the people that wheel in sand and rocks/ or the desert will never understand....and maybe even some of those in the South...the mud/ clay that we have in the "Mid-West" not only reduces traction it is actually sticky like glue!!!!

And it gets everywhere and is a PIA to clean out after a Wheeling Weekend!!! I am always concerned about the damage from the mud/ clay if I don't get it all out. And the sprinkler under the Jeep thing....yeah that doesn't work on the stuff around here again the clay mixed in makes all the difference!!!
and you Midwest mudders don't understand the difference that moss, frozen under snow, on smooth granite rock faces make. lol jk. I completely agree about the clay mud combo its a royal pain. but thats why we have winches, land anchors, and when all else fails friends and shovels.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I agree it is different out west...spent a few years in Co in military, and been to CA, Wy, AZ,TX, NM, nope never been to Montana it is on my "Bucket List" as well as Oregeon and Washington State (no interest in going to the other Washington), although the "moss under snow on smooth granite" is something I would prefer to leave to experienced pros...and I will watch from the side and help if needed!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm with these guys... I avoid excessive mud! I like the dry desert grit in my teeth on a nice desert trail lol. I can clean it off with an air compressor and a hose! I still throw a thumbs up to the muddy guys though :). Nice work getting it out... I've dug out some really stuck snowmobiles when I lived in Oregon and I know how tough a shovel is to work with when you're sinking in the same crap you're trying to move.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts